News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT------Pele dead aged 82

Started by LennG, December 29, 2022, 06:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/breaking-pele-dead-aged-82-reports/ar-AA15MD53

Maybe the greatest soccer player ever has passed away at the age of 82 from colon cancer.

I still remember when he came to play for the NY Cosmos and filled the Stadium every game.

Truly a legend.

May he RIP
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: LennG on December 29, 2022, 06:51:02 PMhttps://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/breaking-pele-dead-aged-82-reports/ar-AA15MD53

Maybe the greatest soccer player ever has passed away at the age of 82 from colon cancer.

I still remember when he came to play for the NY Cosmos and filled the Stadium every game.

Truly a legend.

May he RIP

Wow!

I will never forget when I watched him perform the bicycle kick, I went out that week and tried it in soccer practice and BUSTER BY AS$ bad! Lol

He was amazing to watch back in the day!

He brought recognition to the sport in this country!!

May he Rest in Peace

kartanoman

He was the ambassador who dared this country to imagine the possibility making soccer a legitimate sport in this country. He did so through his love and passion of the sport and left a lasting impression on every child who then went on to build its foundation from a pure, grass-roots effort to where the game is today: a men's national team capable of making it to the knockout round in the World Cup and a women's national team that became the most dominant team on the planet. Every one of them, and everyone else who has played the game in some organized manner, owes a debt of gratitude to a man from Brazil, Edson Arantes do Nascimento, the greatest player of all-time, and the perfect ambassador for planting the seeds in this country to one-day accomplish what was once unthinkable: hosting the World Cup on American soil (1994), the US Men's National Team reaching the 2002 World Cup Quarterfinals and millions of children who wanted to play soccer which grew the sport in this country to where we are today. I laid eyes on him at Giants Stadium in July of 1977, watched him on TV and heard his message; I was converted for life.

The man was not perfect (who is?) but his legacy will live on for generations to come. The man, simply known as Pelé.

Rest in peace, Edson, and thank you for all the memories!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

uconnjack8

One of the few truly transcendent athletes. RIP

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 29, 2022, 08:44:57 PMOne of the few truly transcendent athletes. RIP

Apart from Ali, I can't think of a more transcendent GLOBAL athlete than Pele.

babywhales

Growing up we had  Cosmo's season tickets, I loved watching him with Giorgio Canalia andFranz Beckenbauwer (sp?) . 

Meeting Pele at soccer camps was surreal at that time of my life. He really was a hero of my childhood 

A childhood hero of mine and I have many great memories of him 

I'm sorry l to hear news

RIP Pele
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S