News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Brian Daboll and what makes him special

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2023, 01:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

So funny watching girlie talk. Probably not for this audience.  =))
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 04, 2023, 01:54:35 PMSo funny watching girlie talk. Probably not for this audience.  =))

Nah, we're sensitive guys.   :laugh:

But I liked the insights into his mindset.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

She must be a cat because she died three times!  :P

People skills are paramount when it comes to motivating people. When they know you genuinely care, there is almost nothing they won't do for you in return. And that falls directly into being, not a good, but a GREAT leader.

This is the non-X-and-O stuff that makes a difference that you won't see on the box score.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kartanoman

"Be smart, tough and dependable." A clear and concise statement describing what Daboll demands of his players. His players have bought into that statement which has empowered themselves to take charge of their destiny ... as a team.

The other day, I listened to Bill Parcells' Hall of Fame Speech. Dean Pryor, who gave Parcells his first head coaching job (at Hastings College), offered the young coach a sound piece of advice. He told Parcells "The players deserve a chance to win, and you as an organization or university and a coaching staff and an individual coach and a head coach, have an obligatory responsibility to give it to them." They were words of wisdom Parcells referenced daily during his career.

Daboll credits his grandparents for teaching him the life skills he needed to succeed, and I believe he's won his players over through the pearls of wisdom he received from them. The POST-GAME INTERVIEW, following the Giants' upset in the season opener at Tennessee, says it all and this intangible, among many others, is why he should be the Head Coach of the Year.

The other deserving coaches have impressive credentials lined up in their favor. But they didn't start with a dumpster fire and make the playoffs. Shanahan and Sirianni have done excellent work, and a potentially looming NFC Championship game awaits them, but they both had established lineups and playoff teams coming into the year.

While either is deserving of the award, Daboll is, hands down, the emotional favorite and I like his chances.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

This may be blasphemous, but much as I admire and respect Parcells and Coughlin, if I had a choice I'd rather sit and have a pint with Dabs.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 04, 2023, 09:50:21 PMThis may be blasphemous, but much as I admire and respect Parcells and Coughlin, if I had a choice I'd rather sit and have a pint with Dabs.

:what:

Lol

Well Dabs is younger and I'm sure loves his beer, but man to pick the brains of two legends may be tough to pass up for Dabs......

For now!

PSUBeirut

What she reports him saying at :55 and on is actually a huge key to his success, in my opinion, and something I have said many times to folks I've worked with over the years.  When you reach a leadership role and someone brings you an idea or opinion they have- in that moment you HAVE to recognize that this is a big moment for that employee- they've usually thought long and hard about this idea, are in love with it enough to share with the boss, and the way you react to them in that moment will go a LONG way toward either encouraging new ideas throughout the organization or KILLING new ideas in the organization. 

Even if it's a terrible idea, you have to treat that person and their willingness to share it with you with respect- or else you'll never hear from them again.

kartanoman

Wow, what a concept! Choose the Giant head coach to have a beer with and shoot the bull.

That would be difficult for me to choose. The North Jersey ties to Parcells, and my father used to attend Giants events and spoke with Parcells often, would be tough to pass up. I would be most in awe of him, I think.

Speaking with Tom Coughlin, I can imagine having more of a heart to heart conversation about life, about the love affair that was his marriage to Judy, and even his Jay Fund. Having lived an hour from Syracuse in my teen years, I'd pick his brain to share some Floyd Little, Larry Csonka and Jim Boeheim stories. We'd eventually get to his time with the Giants.

With Daboll, I'd bring my wife with me since she's also from Buffalo. That alone will gobble up some time. I might spend time asking his thoughts on comparing his time with the Bills and Giants, his impressions on the history of the Giants and what it does for him, and his thoughts on what it will take to get the Giants back in the Super Bowl.

If they were still alive, I would have enjoyed the chance to chat with John McVay, Ray Perkins and Dan Reeves.

But, if you put me on the spot, I'd choose Parcells. For no other reason, I'd love to hear more of his famous sayings such as "You don't get any medals for trying; you get them for results." I admit I use them at work and when I coach my daughter's soccer team.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

As a head coach, I think the HC Daboll reminds me of Bruce Arians, with his down-to-earth genuineness.   Still, I see some of Parcells and Coughlin in him as well.

Remember to say hello to everyone in the building.  That reminds me of Coughlin's attention to detail.   Rigging practice against Daniel Jones to test his mental toughness seems like a page out of the Parcell's playbook.

After being fooled by Judge, I am hesitant to judge too early (pardon the pun), but I think we may have found a really good to great HC in Daboll.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

state_property

red a reference of comparing Daboll to McAdoo in terms of success as a first year coach...suggesting that year 2, Daboll will flame out.

McAdoo did his magic with a bunch of FAs hires and a way more talented roster.  It wasn't hard for the Giants to meet expectations especially since McAdoo was already on the team as the OC.

Daboll is truly brand new to the position and the team and his methods were starkly different than McAdoo.  I don't see the same results year 2 if he keeps the players grounded and prepared.  They might regress but it won't be due to preparedness.

MightyGiants

Quote from: state_property on January 05, 2023, 11:05:26 AMred a reference of comparing Daboll to McAdoo in terms of success as a first year coach...suggesting that year 2, Daboll will flame out.

McAdoo did his magic with a bunch of FAs hires and a way more talented roster.  It wasn't hard for the Giants to meet expectations especially since McAdoo was already on the team as the OC.

Daboll is truly brand new to the position and the team and his methods were starkly different than McAdoo.  I don't see the same results year 2 if he keeps the players grounded and prepared.  They might regress but it won't be due to preparedness.

Reese backed the Brinks truck up and bought McAdoo a team in 2016.  Even with that, the playoffs ended early, likely due in no small part to the infamous boat trip.   

Daboll is working with a team that isn't significantly more talented than the one that was the 5th worst in 2021.   The Giants celebrated their playoff-clinching victory with a private party in NYC, rather than some boat vacation.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE