News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ralph V has a good article on the Eagles' recent struggles

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2023, 12:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 06, 2023, 12:26:52 PMhttps://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/eagles-not-hitting-panic-button-amid-late-season-struggles

If there is one truism in sports, it's being "hot at the right time" and the right time is at the end of the season when going for it all. I've seen it in basketball, football, and especially baseball where hot streaks and slumps go hand in hand with highs and lows throughout the season are the norm

Not a good situation for the Eagles getting the ultimate football prize. Boo-f..n-hoo  :'(  :'(  :'(

:laugh:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

I heard on a YouTube clip that no team has lost their last three regular season games and gone on to win the Superbowl. 

This season for the Eagles has some echos of the 2008 Giants. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 06, 2023, 01:07:09 PMIf there is one truism in sports, it's being "hot at the right time" and the right time is at the end of the season when going for it all. I've seen it in basketball, football, and especially baseball where hot streaks and slumps go hand in hand with highs and lows throughout the season are the norm

Not a good situation for the Eagles getting the ultimate football prize. Boo-f..n-hoo  :'(  :'(  :'(

:laugh:

Ric,

This is an excellent point  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Why would the Eagles hit the panic button?  Very few teams are successful without their Pro Bowl QB.  If KC lost Mahomes, they would probably struggle too; same with Cinci and LA.  This isn't rocket science, they struggled because Hurts was unavailable; he's back this weekend...they'll be fine.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 06, 2023, 01:43:50 PMWhy would the Eagles hit the panic button?  Very few teams are successful with their Pro Bowl QB.  If KC lost Mahomes, they would probably struggle too.  Same with Cinci and LA.  Hurts is back this weekend...they'll be fine.

Matt,

I wonder how much of the dropoff from Hurts to Minshew was due to a loss of talent and how much was due to the Eagles not changing up their offense to fit Minshew's distinctly different skill set.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 06, 2023, 01:46:27 PMMatt,

I wonder how much of the dropoff from Hurts to Minshew was due to a loss of talent and how much was due to the Eagles not changing up their offense to fit Minshew's distinctly different skill set.

That's a fair question, Rich, which I acknowledge has some utility. However, changing the scheme will not eliminate the delta between Hurts and Uncle Rico's physical abilities.  The former is a special player that transcends schemes. I know some people stated there would be no drop off, which I thought was bull.  Hurts isn't special because of AJ Brown and Smith, he's special because he possesses unique physical and mental characteristics that are hard to duplicate.  Again, if KC lost Mahomes, they wouldn't be the juggernaut they are today; I wouldn't need to perform an analysis to figure out what happened...the same rule applies here.  I suspect Phili is going to look like the juggernaut they were before Hurts was injured.

Blue Fire

Quote from: kingm56 on January 06, 2023, 01:58:15 PMThat's a fair question, Rich, which I acknowledge has some utility. However, changing the scheme will not eliminate the delta between Hurts and Uncle Rico's physical abilities.  The former is a special player that transcends schemes. I know some people stated there would be no drop off, which I thought was bull.  Hurts isn't special because of AJ Brown and Smith, he's special because he possesses unique physical and mental characteristics that are hard to duplicate.  Again, if KC lost Mahomes, they wouldn't be the juggernaut they are today; I wouldn't need to perform an analysis to figure out what happened...the same rule applies here.  I suspect Phili is going to look like the juggernaut they were before Hurts was injured.

I think king is right on this one. Philly with Hurts back is going to be formidible again. They have talent in all key areas , dont have too many major injuries once Hurts returns and have a pretty good coaching staff.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 06, 2023, 01:58:15 PMThat's a fair question, Rich, which I acknowledge has some utility. However, changing the scheme will not eliminate the delta between Hurts and Uncle Rico's physical abilities.  The former is a special player that transcends schemes. I know some people stated there would be no drop off, which I thought was bull.  Hurts isn't special because of AJ Brown and Smith, he's special because he possesses unique physical and mental characteristics that are hard to duplicate.  Again, if KC lost Mahomes, they wouldn't be the juggernaut they are today; I wouldn't need to perform an analysis to figure out what happened...the same rule applies here.  I suspect Phili is going to look like the juggernaut they were before Hurts was injured.

My point was Hurts has more rushing yards than DJ (750 to 708).  The most yardage Minshew ever had rushing was his 344 yards when he was the Jags' starter (same 14 games as Hurts this season).  The Eagles' offense featured Hurts' running ability, and putting in Minshew was less than ideal.  There is something to be said for matching the skill sets of your starter and your backup.

Also, hasn't Minshew been missing some of the outstanding O-line that Hurts enjoyed?

Much as I did with Daniel Jones, I consider Hurts is in year two of the same system.  PFF has the Eagles top-ranked in pass blocking and 7th in receiving.

With those advantages, Hurts plays out as:

4th highest PFF grade
3rd QBR
3rd QB rating

Clearly, as you point out, Hurts is playing well, but I have to think some of the credit goes to the coaching, protection, and receiving targets.

For me, I am not sure if Hurts is really that great or if we are seeing the Dak Prescott illusion that comes with great support around the QB.  I would think a more mobile QB could have better duplicated Hurts' results as the backup (especially if they didn't lose their outstanding Pro Bowl RT)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 06, 2023, 01:35:33 PMI heard on a YouTube clip that no team has lost their last three regular season games and gone on to win the Superbowl. 

This season for the Eagles has some echos of the 2008 Giants. 

🤢 you had to bring that memory back to life!  Thanks AZ!

bamagiantfan

Amazing how we went from talking about the teams struggles with Hurts at QB to the teams struggles without him, in only a year. He has made tremendous strides.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)