News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF heroes ad goats the backups edition

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2023, 11:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

OFFENSE

Heroes

None (the highest rated was Lawrence Cager at 70.9 which doesn't make the 75 cut)

Goats

Matt Peart
Jack Anderson
Ben Bredeson
Davis Webb
Evan Neal

DEFENSE

Heroes

Micah McFadden

Goats

Oshane Ximines
Justin Ellis
Tony Jefferson
Rodarius Williams
Henry Mondeaux
Ryder Anderson
Tomon Fox
Jack Heflin
Landon Collins

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Thanks Rich!

I concur with PFF rankings; I simply don't get the sentiment that Davis Webb played a good game.  For 3 Qtrs he looked overmatched and anything but a professional football player.  The back-to-back delay of games, missing wide open check-downs and the dreadful intentional grounding were flat-out embarrasing. He did play better in the 4th qtr and I appreciate the fact he was playing with backups; still, I believe his aggregate performance was worthy of a goat rating. 

McFadded looked fast and decisive last evening...he was all over the field and Fox also flashed.  The latter was also washed-out on several run plays and out-of-position on multiple pass plays; so, while he did flash, I concur with the Goat rating.  Still, I'd like to see more of him...

Ed Vette

Davis Webb had a 33.8 Passer Grade and that's every play of the game. He was dealt the same cards that Glennon was only the difference was that his posse didn't mail it in and he did improve over the game and play well enough to bring the team back within one score. Not his fault they gave up an extra point, a FG and field position for a score. Remember that he never had an NFL start his entire career, unlike Glennon. If he had the starting Oline and Barkley, the end might have been different and scored more than 16 points. Gotta say that this game was a lot closer than last time albeit the pain Hurts played through.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on January 09, 2023, 11:51:31 AMThanks Rich!

I concur with PFF rankings; I simply don't get the sentiment that Davis Webb played a good game.  For 3 Qtrs he looked overmatched and anything but a professional football player.  The back-to-back delay of games, missing wide open check-downs and the dreadful intentional grounding were flat-out embarrasing. He did play better in the 4th qtr and I appreciate the fact he was playing with backups; still, I believe his aggregate performance was worthy of a goat rating. 

McFadded looked fast and decisive last evening...he was all over the field and Fox also flashed.  The latter was also washed-out on several run plays and out-of-position on multiple pass plays; so, while he did flash, I concur with the Goat rating.  Still, I'd like to see more of him...

It is not surprising that it took him 3 quarters to knock off 6 years of rust.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

The only thing that bothered me is the lowest-rated Giant from that game was our starting RT Evan Neal.   Neal was often the reason Webb was running for his life.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2023, 02:38:49 PMThe only thing that bothered me is the lowest-rated Giant from that game was our starting RT Evan Neal.   Neal was often the reason Webb was running for his life.
He only gave up two pressures. Phillips gave up five and Peart three.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 09, 2023, 02:55:11 PMHe only gave up two pressures. Phillips gave up five and Peart three.

One thing to consider is the number of pass-blocking snaps

Neal (RT)- 25
Phillips (RG)- 45
Peart (LT)- 21

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2023, 02:59:31 PMOne thing to consider is the number of pass-blocking snaps

Neal (RT)- 25
Phillips (RG)- 45
Peart (LT)- 21

It also influences his grade. Overly bad and overly good snaps weigh more on fewer snaps.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2023, 02:38:49 PMThe only thing that bothered me is the lowest-rated Giant from that game was our starting RT Evan Neal.   Neal was often the reason Webb was running for his life.

neal is certainly becoming cause for concern. you'd like to think he'll take the andrew thomas route and rebound nicely. also-- philly has one of the best pass rushes OF ALL TIME. they are no joke. so its not super surprising he struggled yesterday. i hope its just rookie stuff.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: B1GBLUE on January 09, 2023, 04:37:13 PMneal is certainly becoming cause for concern. you'd like to think he'll take the andrew thomas route and rebound nicely. also-- philly has one of the best pass rushes OF ALL TIME. they are no joke. so its not super surprising he struggled yesterday. i hope its just rookie stuff.

We heard the same with Thomas.

Next year yes if we don't see a jump it will be concerning.

With that said let's remember.

He was injured a number of weeks which hurt him.

He is moving from LT in College to RT in the pros.  That isn't something everyone can do.  It's a completely different set of footwork.  From a position the needs balance it maybe is taking a bit for him.

He also has to adjust as a rookie to fighting a pro across from him every week.

I thought his reps were better against the eagles this game than his last.  I thought he has been improving weekly and looks better then the first 4 weeks.