News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quick dumb question

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 16, 2023, 12:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Listening to the game yesterday, the announcer referred to Joe Schoen and pronounced his name as "Shane". I have been pronouncing it "Shown"...in my mind anyway because I rarely speak his name in conversations

Which is correct?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

H-Town G-Fan

Jolly Blue Giant

Thanks. Weird way to spell it  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GordonGekko80

In theory, it's a German name. Pronounced

[ʃøːn]

Painter

It's neither weird nor a dumb question nor is it in theory.  Schoen is pronounced, "Shane" whether in English or the original German for which, if so inclined, you might say Danke Schoen, the second of the two words translates to very much or most.

Prost!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Painter on January 16, 2023, 01:30:24 PMIt's neither weird nor a dumb question nor is it in theory.  Schoen is pronounced, "Shane" whether in English or the original German for which, if so inclined, you might say Danke Schoen, the second of the two words translates to very much or most.

Prost!

Pardon me, but by living in the German part of Switzerland I happen to know how the original is pronounced, and it's definitely not "shane". It's probably an English way of pronounciation, which is fine, but consider that there is not only one way to pronounce something, espacially when the original comes from a different language than English.

Painter

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 16, 2023, 02:29:29 PMPardon me, but by living in the German part of Switzerland I happen to know how the original is pronounced, and it's definitely not "shane". It's probably an English way of pronounciation, which is fine, but consider that there is not only one way to pronounce something, espacially when the original comes from a different language than English.

Having spent a fair amount of time in Deutschland itself, I am aware that the word is pronounced more like "shun" and indeed is spelled "schön" without the e, all of which is irrelevant and not at all theoretical to the common pronunciation of the surname, Schoen as in Joe "pronounced as Shane in Engels" Schoen. Ist es nicht so? Jawohl?

If that leaves you still caught up in theory, just think of it as a Low German Pennsylvania Deutsch dialect where Schoen with the e replacing the umlauted o is pronounced as rhyming with English words like rain, pain or explain.

As for your pardon, I will leave that to the now fully informed original questioner.

Cheers!