News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Can the Cowboys be a contender with Dak Prescott as their QB?

Started by MightyGiants, January 23, 2023, 09:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

A hearty welcome to you Steve. Good points

I read an article this morning comparing futures of the Giants vs. the Cowboys, with the question: "Which team would you rather be on?"

It's the pay section of NY Post+. The author thinks McCarthy doesn't have the stones or ingenuity to get the Cowboys past the playoffs and that he's become unoriginal and predictable. He also thinks their financial cap situation is going to be destructive to the team in the next few years. Regardless, here's a blip, "Prescott, who threw two back-breaking interceptions against the Niners and led the league with 15 picks this season, seems to be regressing. Jones, who went out and led the Giants to their first playoff win since 2011, is ascending.

Daboll might win the Coach of the Year award. McCarthy might be coaching for his job next season.

The Cowboys are paying Ezekiel Elliott, their second-best running back, an average of $15 million annually with a $16.7 million cap hit in 2023. Barkley won't be cheap, but he did say Sunday he doesn't expect to reset the running back market.
"

Thanks to Schoen, the Giants are getting their house in order with cap room for flexibility (although, next year when Dex, Thomas, McKinney, and Leo are all up for contract it could get dicey) and they have a coach now that has brought a winning mindset and is creative with the players he has to work with

Giants...a team on the way up
Cowboys...a team on the way down
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on January 23, 2023, 08:12:13 PMApparently, a question of less interest yet of hardly less relevance to Giants fans here  is Prescott's current 9-game winning streak against the team which we are thought to care most about?

But perhaps, there is a strategy behind the so called, "twidicule" of Prescott in which it might encourage Jerrah to ditch him. We can't overlook the fact that the one and only time Giants did beat the Cows in the past 6 years was when Andy Dalton was the starter. Mmm!  :crazy:

Cheers! 

Larry,

Did you notice that the Cowboy's own Twitter account slammed Dak?  As for Jones, it doesn't look like he needed any encouragement to lay the loss at Dak's feet.

QuoteThe 49ers were able to hold the Cowboys to two field goals the rest of the way, and they also intercepted quarterback Dak Prescott twice.

"Frankly, turnovers do settle the scores with games like that," Jones said. "And I'm so disappointed for our fans. This felt good today, felt good with the team. But San Francisco had something to say about that."

Jones said turnovers were "probably the difference."

"I thought this team, with Dak at quarterback, I thought we had a chance to get to and compete at the top level in this tournament," Jones said. "I really did. That was our edge here tonight, I thought, the quarterback, the experience of the quarterback. They might have had a little edge in an area there, but I thought the quarterback was the edge. We got after that and tried to expose that. To their credit, they made some plays."

https://apnews.com/article/san-francisco-49ers-dallas-cowboys-nfl-super-bowl-sports-60638909c9b02ba565ed74b8421a8fa3
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 24, 2023, 08:36:53 AMA hearty welcome to you Steve. Good points

I read an article this morning comparing futures of the Giants vs. the Cowboys, with the question: "Which team would you rather be on?"

It's the pay section of NY Post+. The author thinks McCarthy doesn't have the stones or ingenuity to get the Cowboys past the playoffs and that he's become unoriginal and predictable. He also thinks their financial cap situation is going to be destructive to the team in the next few years. Regardless, here's a blip, "Prescott, who threw two back-breaking interceptions against the Niners and led the league with 15 picks this season, seems to be regressing. Jones, who went out and led the Giants to their first playoff win since 2011, is ascending.

Daboll might win the Coach of the Year award. McCarthy might be coaching for his job next season.

The Cowboys are paying Ezekiel Elliott, their second-best running back, an average of $15 million annually with a $16.7 million cap hit in 2023. Barkley won't be cheap, but he did say Sunday he doesn't expect to reset the running back market.
"

Thanks to Schoen, the Giants are getting their house in order with cap room for flexibility (although, next year when Dex, Thomas, McKinney, and Leo are all up for contract it could get dicey) and they have a coach now that has brought a winning mindset and is creative with the players he has to work with

Giants...a team on the way up
Cowboys...a team on the way down

Those criticisms of McCarthy are pretty much the same ones that were leveled at him while he was the HC of the Packers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Symphony Steve on January 24, 2023, 08:12:06 AMI'm convinced that Dak got the huge extension b/c Jerrah drafted him in the 4th Round, and just wanted to rub everyone's noses in the fact that he was so much smarter than they were.

Hubris, thy name is Jerry Jones.

Welcome, Steve.  That could very well be.  Dak has always looked better than he actually is because the Cowboys have had a very good OL, a good running game and good receivers during his tenure.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

Dak is OK
CeeDee Lamb is unbelievable

I wonder how Jones would look with CeeDee
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

GordonGekko80

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 24, 2023, 02:53:12 AMThe Cowgirls essentially did what we are discussing all along:

1. Extending their Star RB for crazy numbers
2. Franchise Tagging their 1st String QB to then extend him at crazy Cap Numbers

Those are the lessons to be learned here. We could definitely end up in the same boat as them in a few years time. 

I mean, I am not saying we shoouldn't extend them Barkley and/or Jones.

I am saying we shouldn't do it in a way where it puts us in cap hell for years to come.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 24, 2023, 01:08:17 PMI mean, I am not saying we shoouldn't extend them Barkley and/or Jones.

I am saying we shouldn't do it in a way where it puts us in cap hell for years to come.

I believe that Schoen will do nothing that puts us in cap hell. He is not Gettleman (short term thinking to keep his job), but long term thinking...hence the reason he keeps reminding fans to be patient. He knows we are a fast-food nation of people hooked on instant gratification instead of delayed gratification and lack patience. Schoen is thinking 3-5 years down the road for a perrenial playoff caliber team, which quite frankly, how all executive management should think
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 24, 2023, 01:08:17 PMI mean, I am not saying we shoouldn't extend them Barkley and/or Jones.

I will add to what @Jolly Blue Giant stated.

I see two teams that are clearly in cap hell due to their QB-  The Bills and Josh Allen and the Cowboys and Dak Prescott. The Chiefs will not be in great shape either next season.  When I looked at their contracts, the one common theme was all of the QBs had a couple of light caps hits in the first couple of seasons of their new contracts.   That is more than possible when you make these contracts, but when you do that, the later years of the contract become much more difficult to work with.

I would suggest that the Giants would be well served not to follow this approach but rather take the pay-as-you-go approach, where the contract is a bit more equally distributed. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 24, 2023, 01:57:38 PMI will add to what @Jolly Blue Giant stated.

I see two teams that are clearly in cap hell due to their QB-  The Bills and Josh Allen and the Cowboys and Dak Prescott. The Chiefs will not be in great shape either next season.  When I looked at their contracts, the one common theme was all of the QBs had a couple of light caps hits in the first couple of seasons of their new contracts.   That is more than possible when you make these contracts, but when you do that, the later years of the contract become much more difficult to work with.

I would suggest that the Giants would be well served not to follow this approach but rather take the pay-as-you-go approach, where the contract is a bit more equally distributed. 

Not to mention the Cards with Kyler Murray and the Broncos with Russell Wilson.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

The thing with Mahomes though is that he lost Tyreek Hill and broke a record for yards this year and had his best statistical year.