News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How to upgrade the roster on the cheap

Started by MightyGiants, January 28, 2023, 03:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Getting those true playmakers, good or elite players, and difference-makers usually require lots of cap $$$, high draft capital, or just plain luck.

As I mentioned in the Mike Lombardi thread, the Giants have some but not enough to really get the team where it needs to be over this offseason.  It occurred to me that there is another approach.  Instead of just focusing on the top end of the roster, consider upgrading the roster with average players.

To this end, I looked at the Giants' PFF graded roster and where there was potential for this sort of upgrade.  I consider players who have grades in the 60s average (with north of 70 being good).  Players below 60 I consider weak links and candidates for the upgrade I proposed.

Weak Starters

C Jon Feliciano 57.0
G Ben Bredeson 57.5
T Evan Neal 41.7 (could upgrade with experience)
SCB Darnay Holmes 47.3
CB Fabian Moreau 56.5
ILB Jaylon Smith 56.4
DE/Edge Jihad Ward 42.1

Key Role Players (greater than 300 snaps in the season)

WR Marcus Johnson  55.0
T Tyre Phillips 50.5
ILB Tae Crowder 29.6
S Dane Belton 32.8 (could improve with experience)
ILB Micah McFadden 38.7 (could improve with experience)
DI Justin Ellis 30.1
Edge Tomon Fox 38.6 (could improve with experience)
Edge Oshane Ximines 56.6
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2023, 03:09:20 PMIsn't Tae Crowder on the Steelers now?

Yes, but I met my criteria in terms of snaps tajen
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Draft picks and UDFA

It's difficult and Schoen has a tough task ahead of him to maximize the amount of cap space he has after potential Jones and/or Barkley extensions
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

andrew_nyGiants

Big Cat is gonna need to take that pay cut to stay here.

I'm afraid we lose Barkley if he demands more than $14M per.

From there it's coach em up time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 28, 2023, 03:18:03 PMDraft picks and UDFA

It's difficult and Schoen has a tough task ahead of him to maximize the amount of cap space he has after potential Jones and/or Barkley extensions

I don't think this point can be overstated.   On the surface, we have been hearing about $50 million plus cap space and 11 draft picks.   Drill down to reality, and the draft picks start at 25 and are mostly day 3 picks.  The actual cap space is roughly $42 million and has to cover the cost of re-signing Jones and maybe Barkley.

So, in reality, there isn't nearly as much capital to upgrade as we may have thought for most of the season. I really think this offseason will be the one that really sets Schoen up as a top GM or shows that he isn't as good as hoped/wished.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 29, 2023, 09:20:12 AMI don't think this point can be overstated.   On the surface, we have been hearing about $50 million plus cap space and 11 draft picks.   Drill down to reality, and the draft picks start at 25 and are mostly day 3 picks.  The actual cap space is roughly $42 million and has to cover the cost of re-signing Jones and maybe Barkley.

So, in reality, there isn't nearly as much capital to upgrade as we may have thought for most of the season. I really think this offseason will be the one that really sets Schoen up as a top GM or shows that he isn't as good as hoped/wished.

Not sure Schoen will want to push things back too far, but the 1st year of contracts can be pretty cheap if structured the correct way.  Not saying that's a good idea, but it's one way to get as much as possible put of that 42 million.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 29, 2023, 09:41:27 AMNot sure Schoen will want to push things back too far, but the 1st year of contracts can be pretty cheap if structured the correct way.  Not saying that's a good idea, but it's one way to get as much as possible put of that 42 million.

I think every contract has some natural backloading with the cap going up.  With two big signings (one or both might be done this offseason) in Thomas and Lawerence, I think Schoen will limit how much he backloads other contracts.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE