News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Social Dilemma Documentary on Netflix

Started by squibber, January 31, 2023, 10:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

If anyone didn't see it, I highly recommend it.

I knew social media giants like Facebook manipulate us but the degree and precision is amazing.  Our brains are no match against the engineers, AI and algorithims.  We are lab rats.

They gave a good analogy, magic tricks.  Magic tricks work because the magician knows how a piece of your brain works whereas you don't know how that piece of your brain works.

Here is the trailer below. It makes me want to cut back on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaC57tcci0

Jolly Blue Giant

I use a VPN. But I have no idea if it still keeps people from tracking me. I also have a variety of built in cookies killer and ad blocks (add-ons to Firefox, which I use exclusively because of their anti-tracking promise). But I'm sure the social media companies still have quite a dossier on me somewhere

I'been on Facebook since its inception. I used to have over a hundred friends and probably posted 2 - 3 times a day. I stopped using it altogether a couple years ago, but recently decided to bring it back to life. I now only have about 15 friends (mostly close relatives and 3 or 4 good friends). I posted for the first time in a couple years the day before Christmas to share an oncoming storm. I got one "like" and no response. I've not posted on there since, although I do pull it up everyday to see what my sisters are posting and anyone else. Even they barely use it anymore. I have a Twitter account, but rarely use it and if it was gone, I wouldn't care

I think the heyday of living on social media has gotten old for a lot of people because it is nothing like it was a decade ago. Still, I know Google has tricks up their sleeve to track my searches, but not much I can do about it. I know Amazon does, because if I look at anything that I might purchase, I get emails the following day trying to get me to buy it. I delete them without opening
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I'm not on anything except this forum. Never had a Facebook account or twitter or whatever and I don't regret it at all.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss