News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Brady retiring 'for good'

Started by GordonGekko80, February 01, 2023, 09:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

Tom Brady says he's retiring 'for good' after 23 seasons in NFL with Buccaneers, Patriots
Published: Feb 01, 2023 at 08:25 AM

Tom Brady is retiring, again.

The legendary quarterback said in a video posted to Twitter on Wednesday that he's "retiring, for good" after 23 seasons in the NFL.

"Good morning, guys. I'll get to the point right away. I'm retiring ... for good," Brady said. "I know the process was a pretty big deal last time, so when I woke up this morning, I figured I'd just press record, and I'd let you guys know first. It won't be long-winded. You only get one super emotional retirement essay and I used mine up last year. So I really thank you guys so much. To every single one of you for supporting me: My family, my friends, my teammates, my competitors I could go on forever. There's too many. Thank you guys for allowing me to live my absolute dream. I wouldn't change a thing. I love you all."

Brady, 45, won seven Super Bowl titles with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The three-time NFL MVP holds nearly every career passing record from passing yards (89,214) to passing touchdowns (649).

Wednesday's announcement comes a year after Brady announced his retirement the first time. That exit lasted 40 days before Brady eventually returned to the NFL and the Bucs.

Brady was slated to be a free agent entering the 2023 offseason.

If he returns again, it's Favre all over again...  :D

Symphony Steve

We call this a 'dog bites man' story.  As in, no story at all. He'll be back.

MightyGiants

Kind of an anti-climatic retirement after such a great career.  Just a comment to the press in February.  No public announcement or farewell at a game, just an offseason announcement.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Symphony Steve on February 01, 2023, 09:12:02 AMWe call this a 'dog bites man' story.  As in, no story at all. He'll be back.

I think he's done.  I think if Brady was planning on returning, it would only be for another SB run.  I have to think his agent put out feelers to the teams that fit those criteria and this announcement was the result.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Will wait until July to see if this sticks.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

He probably wishes he had stayed retired when he 1st announced it

he has had a terrible finale year to a storied career.  I think he is off to the broadcast booth so it will be interesting to hear how he analyzes things- especially Giants games

I hope he and his ex-wife can patch things up and Tom finds happiness going forward

The thing I'll remember most about him is both of our wins over him in the SB came after hail mary's at the end I believe.....the guy never gave up, and was always dangerous

You had to hold your breath to the very end before beating him....
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AZGiantFan

If it sticks, do you think he'll sign a one day contract with NE and retire as a Pat?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

coggs

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 01, 2023, 10:11:14 AMIf it sticks, do you think he'll sign a one day contract with NE and retire as a Pat?
Maybe, but I have always felt those things were b.s.  Everyone will remember he finished his career with Tampa, not that he re-signed with NE for a day to "retire" with them.

MightyGiants

The only way I see Brady "unretire" again is if a contending team loses their starting QB in OTAs or training camp.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Painter

As I don't share the cynicism of some others, I will take Brady at his word. And so it goes that I can admire his accomplishments as a player and have no problem in recognizing him as the GOAT among QBs. As for his future and that of his family, I wish them well, and have little doubt that they will continue in their success. Indeed, only a rather mean spirit might wish otherwise.

Cheers!

LennG

I am in Larry's camp, I also feel he knew it was time to go this year but stuck it out. Sure we said he wanted to play till he was 50 but time takes its toll.

While many outside of NE (and some even there) don't particularly care for him, I really never minded him. We were jealous of his talent and his winning and there is no doubt he is the GOAT.

I wish him well and do hope he can reconcile with his family.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 01, 2023, 09:47:30 AMHe probably wishes he had stayed retired when he 1st announced it

he has had a terrible finale year to a storied career.  I think he is off to the broadcast booth so it will be interesting to hear how he analyzes things- especially Giants games

I hope he and his ex-wife can patch things up and Tom finds happiness going forward

The thing I'll remember most about him is both of our wins over him in the SB came after hail mary's at the end I believe.....the guy never gave up, and was always dangerous

You had to hold your breath to the very end before beating him....

For once, I enjoyed reading one of your posts, and agreed with it. If he knew what would have happened this year he likely would not have made the choice he did.

DaveBrown74

I would bet good money at short odds that he doesn't come back. I think he realizes that he can't play at a high level anymore. He also has other stuff going on in his life. I would be shocked beyond belief if he went back on this one. I can't see it happening. Feels like close to zero percent for me.