News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have met with Saquan's reps but not DJ's

Started by MightyGiants, February 01, 2023, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on February 01, 2023, 02:47:34 PMI actually don't see it as them meddling

What else are they gonna say? That they hate him and want him gone? They aren't gonna say any different about anyone on the roster.
They should say we hired a GM to make these decisions. They are his, not ours. We have other business to deal with.

MightyGiants

Consider

Q: Do you think ownership still has patience for a long-term build and process? Or do you think your success this year may have accelerated expectations from ownership?

Schoen: We haven't really talked specifically about that. I'm in constant communication with (President and chief executive officer) John (Mara), (senior player personnel executive) Chris (Mara), (chairman and executive vice president) Steve (Tisch) about what we're thinking, what the plan is and where we are. That hasn't come up.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what Schoen and ownership are in constant contact about?  I would think if the Maras (and Tisch to a far less extent) are letting Schoen run the team as he sees fit, there wouldn't be a need for this sort of "constant communication."    I mean, other than spending more money than had already been agreed upon, I really can't see a need for constant communication.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: katkavage on February 01, 2023, 02:57:20 PMThey should say we hired a GM to make these decisions. They are his, not ours. We have other business to deal with.

Exactly.  That's exactly what their role should be.

And all of those comments make me still believe those leaks about the front offices feelings on Jones came from the Mara camp not Schoen or those he works directly with.

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 01, 2023, 03:08:26 PMConsider

Q: Do you think ownership still has patience for a long-term build and process? Or do you think your success this year may have accelerated expectations from ownership?

Schoen: We haven't really talked specifically about that. I'm in constant communication with (President and chief executive officer) John (Mara), (senior player personnel executive) Chris (Mara), (chairman and executive vice president) Steve (Tisch) about what we're thinking, what the plan is and where we are. That hasn't come up.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what Schoen and ownership are in constant contact about?  I would think if the Maras (and Tisch to a far less extent) are letting Schoen run the team as he sees fit, there wouldn't be a need for this sort of "constant communication."    I mean, other than spending more money than had already been agreed upon, I really can't see a need for constant communication.

Could just be in general communication rather than detailed planning.  Not sure as the statement on communication is vague.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

files58

Offer Jones the non-exclusive franchise tender. If another team signs him we get two #1's. Then Schoen tells Mara to sell his soul for Caleb Williams.

True Blue

Quote from: katkavage on February 01, 2023, 02:57:20 PMThey should say we hired a GM to make these decisions. They are his, not ours. We have other business to deal with.

Fair point, can't argue there lol

BluesCruz

Brandon Tierney of Tiki and Tierney of WFAN-

"BT, on the other hand, has a very different take, and says if the Giants were to bring Barkley back, they would be ensuring that they would never win a title during the duration of that contract.

"I think if the Giants pay Saquon, the Giants will never win a Super Bowl with this set, with this roster," BT said. "They're gonna lament it, and I know nobody wants to hear that, but that's the reality of the NFL.

"I think the problem, and it sucks because it's it obscures so much of the good that the Giants did this year, but by paying Saquon, they are they are putting their resources in the wrong direction."

My take is they clear the table with Saquon 1st.

No need to pay a 4.4 YPC RB 10 million per year.  His skill set is replaceable

Once thats done they can chart their course with the other free agents including DJ who is going to get a very big offer.

Starting over at QB would be extremely painful (unless they get lucky with some college dude)
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

babywhales

Quote from: files58 on February 01, 2023, 03:38:25 PMOffer Jones the non-exclusive franchise tender. If another team signs him we get two #1's. Then Schoen tells Mara to sell his soul for Caleb Williams.

Not a bad idea, as no one in hell is giving up 2 number 1 picks and paying him 30 mill for Jones.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

True Blue

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 01, 2023, 03:52:20 PMBrandon Tierney of Tiki and Tierney of WFAN-

"BT, on the other hand, has a very different take, and says if the Giants were to bring Barkley back, they would be ensuring that they would never win a title during the duration of that contract.

"I think if the Giants pay Saquon, the Giants will never win a Super Bowl with this set, with this roster," BT said. "They're gonna lament it, and I know nobody wants to hear that, but that's the reality of the NFL.

"I think the problem, and it sucks because it's it obscures so much of the good that the Giants did this year, but by paying Saquon, they are they are putting their resources in the wrong direction."

Once thats done they can chart their course with the other free agents including DJ who is going to get a very big offer.

Starting over at QB would be extremely painful (unless they get lucky with some college dude)

Let me guess, Gary Brightwell and Usain Bolt as the #1 RB and WR? Are you also signing LeBron James to play TE?

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 01, 2023, 03:52:20 PMBrandon Tierney of Tiki and Tierney of WFAN-

Starting over at QB isn't going to be nearly as painful as we think.  They wouldn't be replacing an elite level QB and passing game.  They would be replacing an average QB and a bottom third passing game.

BluesCruz

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on February 01, 2023, 03:56:25 PMLet me guess, Gary Brightwell and Usain Bolt as the #1 RB and WR? Are you also signing LeBron James to play TE?

Well he sure cannot play basketball anymore
TE yeah
He is certainly built like one....has good hands...would not want to try tackling him, thats for sure
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

I am still trying to divine the meaning of this.   I guess if you will use the tag as leverage in contract negotiations, it makes sense not to negotiate with both Jones and Barkley simultaneously.  What I am a bit puzzled over is the Giants negotiating with Barkley first.  I would have thought the team would be better served to negotiate the contract that is likely much bigger.  I am still trying to figure out the advantage of doing Barkley first
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 01, 2023, 01:01:29 PMFrom what I have seen over the years, the franchise tag (unless it's relatively cheap) is usually a team's last resort.  I don't recall a team leading with the franchise tag when it came to their QB.

If after a year, the Giants don't think that Daniel Jones is their franchise QB, why waste over $32 million retaining him for another season?
Rich: perhaps the Giants have been assured by DJs agent that he is committed to staying with the Giants and he wants to negotiate a new contract at a fair price. Barkley on the other hand is the big unknown as he is open to other teams signing him at the price he wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:21:51 PMRich: perhaps the Giants have been assured by DJs agent that he is committed to staying with the Giants and he wants to negotiate a new contract at a fair price. Barkley on the other hand is the big unknown as he is open to other teams signing him at the price he wants

That would be really good news.  Although if true, DJ might want to find a new agent.  An agent's job is to maximize their clients income and job satisfaction and agreeing to get a deal done sort of weakens DJ's negotiating position, in my opinion.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2023, 12:24:35 PMThat would be really good news.  Although if true, DJ might want to find a new agent.  An agent's job is to maximize their clients income and job satisfaction and agreeing to get a deal done sort of weakens DJ's negotiating position, in my opinion.
DJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only wants the most money.

Interesting that the anti DJ crew is taking one final gasp with offering up all kinds of scenarios that he won't be a Giant next year

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:30:45 PMDJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only wants the most money.

Interesting that the anti DJ crew is taking one final gasp with offering up all kinds of scenarios that he won't be a Giant next year

According to some DJ was going to be signed at the trade deadline.  Wonder what happened?