News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have met with Saquan's reps but not DJ's

Started by MightyGiants, February 01, 2023, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2023, 10:44:14 AMI am still trying to divine the meaning of this.   I guess if you will use the tag as leverage in contract negotiations, it makes sense not to negotiate with both Jones and Barkley simultaneously.  What I am a bit puzzled over is the Giants negotiating with Barkley first.  I would have thought the team would be better served to negotiate the contract that is likely much bigger.  I am still trying to figure out the advantage of doing Barkley first

Maybe they're taking a hard line with Barkley and will let him walk as a warning to Jones and his agent that they're not going to roll over?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:21:51 PMRich: perhaps the Giants have been assured by DJs agent that he is committed to staying with the Giants and he wants to negotiate a new contract at a fair price. Barkley on the other hand is the big unknown as he is open to other teams signing him at the price he wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 or 10 million less than what some other team would pay is not a fair price.

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:21:51 PMRich: perhaps the Giants have been assured by DJs agent that he is committed to staying with the Giants and he wants to negotiate a new contract at a fair price. Barkley on the other hand is the big unknown as he is open to other teams signing him at the price he wants

If true, DJ has the worst agent in NFL history.  The agent's job is to maximize their clients' value and secure a contract that exceeds market value.  I sincerely doubt this is the reason for the Giants failing to open negotiations at this point. 

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 02, 2023, 12:24:35 PMThat would be really good news.  Although if true, DJ might want to find a new agent.  An agent's job is to maximize their clients income and job satisfaction and agreeing to get a deal done sort of weakens DJ's negotiating position, in my opinion.

Sorry @MightyGiants, I didn't read your reply before literally posting the same thought. 

kingm56

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:30:45 PMDJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only wants the most money.

Interesting that the anti DJ crew is taking one final gasp with offering up all kinds of scenarios that he won't be a Giant next year

Did Eli Manning strike you as "the kind of guy who only wants the most money"?  Yet, his agent secured more than half of billion dollars from the Giants.  That's the reason you hire an agent; they get thier hands dirty while the player retains thier positive image.  If DJ wasn't interested in the most money, he would negotiate his own contract.   

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 12:30:45 PMDJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only wants the most money.

Interesting that the anti DJ crew is taking one final gasp with offering up all kinds of scenarios that he won't be a Giant next year

As opposed to a particular Pro Jones fan openly lying about a deal being done multiple times this season?

sxdxca38

Here may be a possible answer from the NY Post today.

"The bottom line is this: Jones will be back, one way or another. Barkley's status is very much up in the air and depends on how willing he is to not get paid as one of the top players at his position."

"The Giants know Jones will be their quarterback in 2023. The goal is to work out a multiyear deal with him. A five-year contract is ideal for the team, because it would allow the Giants to spread the bonus money across the maximum number of years allowed, thus decreasing his salary cap hit in 2023 and beyond."

"If Jones and the Giants cannot come to an agreement, there is always the franchise tag, which would cost the Giants $32.4 million on their 2023 cap — far more than they want to use — and leave Jones in another prove-it season with no financial security, something he does not want."

"Either way, Jones will not hit the open market and he will return to the Giants."

It seems to me DJ is the priority and if they can't work out a long-term deal, they want to save the franchise tag for him.

Barkley they would like back, but only at a certain price. If he wants more than what they're willing to offer, they will probably let him go.

Here is the article.

DJ and Barkley

sxdxca38

Here is a great listen by Adam Schefter on DJ and Barkley contracts, link provided below.

todge

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 02, 2023, 04:34:55 PMAs opposed to a particular Pro Jones fan openly lying about a deal being done multiple times this season?
Get the facts straight please . I never said a deal was going to be done during the season. What I did say is exactly what's happening now - that the Giant Brass liked how DJ had been playing and that they would be signing him to a long term deal.

Tell me - do you toss and turn all night and even have nightmares that DJ is going to be the Giants QB for quite a while?

todge

Quote from: Rambo89 on February 02, 2023, 12:35:13 PMAccording to some DJ was going to be signed at the trade deadline.  Wonder what happened?
Nonsense -

As I told your partner - all I ever said is that his coach and the GM made several references to being very happy with their QB and that the writing on the wall was that DJ would be signed eventually.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out you know. DJ had a very good year considering the leaky OL and the fact he had arguably the worst set of WRs in the league. If you paid attention to Mighty Giants' PFF score interpretations, Eli had numerous "elite" references.

You are making fun of me, but I will have the last laugh. DJ will get a contract that will give you nightmares.

True Blue

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 08:22:20 PMNonsense -

As I told your partner - all I ever said is that his coach and the GM made several references to being very happy with their QB and that the writing on the wall was that DJ would be signed eventually.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out you know. DJ had a very good year considering the leaky OL and the fact he had arguably the worst set of WRs in the league. If you paid attention to Mighty Giants' PFF score interpretations, Eli had numerous "elite" references.

You are making fun of me, but I will have the last laugh. DJ will get a contract that will give you nightmares.

:smug:

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on February 02, 2023, 08:22:20 PMNonsense -

What you said is that the Giants were negotiating behind the scenes in season with Jones and would have a deal agreed to in season.  You were wrong. (See below for your 10/18/22 post)

And no, I'm not making fun of you.  I am just calling you out for making up things about others views taking shots at others while you refuse to acknowledge how wrong you've been and how at times you've made stuff.

As far as having the "last laugh", considering the old regime that you blindly defended is no longer employed with the Giants and a new regime with a different philosophy is running things you already did not get the "last laugh".

Quote from: todge on October 18, 2022, 10:36:06 PMThe debate isn't worth debating. There is a group here who just don't like DJ , never did and never will. No matter how well he plays it won't be good enough. They are in favor of going elsewhere for a new QB.

The second group likes DJ. They are in favor of the Giants signing him to a decent contract.

In the end, these opinions mean nothing. It's the Giants who are going to make a decision on Jones. From what I'm reading and hearing - it looks like Daboll really likes him and they will either sign him mid season or Franchise him after the season.

The reality is that the Giants will be drafting in the mid to bottom of Round 1. So any of the so called superstar QBs will be out of reach. There are no Free Agents of worth and no, Tyrod Taylor will not be an option.

It's only a matter of time before the Giants lock
up DJ for the long term. 

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on February 03, 2023, 12:24:08 PMWhat you said is that the Giants were negotiating behind the scenes in season with Jones and would have a deal agreed to in season.  You were wrong. (See below for your 10/18/22 post)

And no, I'm not making fun of you.  I am just calling you out for making up things about others views taking shots at others while you refuse to acknowledge how wrong you've been and how at times you've made stuff.

As far as having the "last laugh", considering the old regime that you blindly defended is no longer employed with the Giants and a new regime with a different philosophy is running things you already did not get the "last laugh".

It doesn't say that. This post was two weeks before the bye week. It says they will either-or. Didn't claim they were negotiating. It's an opinion. They still may tag him. Doesn't matter because most of the posts on this thread are opinions.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

The idea that either of these players, neither of whom has ever played on anything other than a rookie contract, is going to take significantly less than what they're worth in the open market, all to remain on a middle of the road team in one of the highest tax/highest cost of living states in the country, sounds like pure fiction to me. Just because a player says "I want to remain a Giant" doesn't mean he's going to agree to work his ass off and risk his physical well being for a big discount. I think this is purely a fan fantasy and not reality.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 05, 2023, 07:54:14 AMThe idea that either of these players, neither of whom has ever played on anything other than a rookie contract, is going to take significantly less than what they're worth in the open market, all to remain on a middle of the road team in one of the highest tax/highest cost of living states in the country, sounds like pure fiction to me. Just because a player says "I want to remain a Giant" doesn't mean he's going to agree to work his ass off and risk his physical well being for a big discount. I think this is purely a fan fantasy and not reality.

I completely agree.  And I don't think the positive of finally getting good coaching outweighs the misery of the first three years, and continuing poor roster.  What have the Giants done that would instill the kind of 'home team' discount that virtually never occurs?  What prominent player, other than the guy with the wife worth a quarter billion, has ever given his team a home team discount?

Not slowing my roll