News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How on earth did KC beat the Eagles

Started by MightyGiants, February 13, 2023, 07:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 13, 2023, 08:09:07 AMI remember few teams as packed with talent as the Eagles were this season.

Talent isn't everything. Sirianni is a highly overrated coach, Hurts has to prove he can handle the big lights, beating the 49ers with no QB available to play and a rebuilding team don't come close to counting. They made some poor choices, and some bad mistakes, also could not capitalize on some of the chances they had.

But at the end of the day, when you have Patrick Mahomes, you can literally beat anyone.

They were the #1 seed in a SIGNIFICANTLY much more stacked conference as well. That doesn't happen flukefully

Rambo89

Difference in the game was the KC Offensive line that didn't allow a sack against a devastating pass rush and Special Teams.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

One thing I will add-  I have never seen a better playoff DC than Spags (with the possible exception of Belichick)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The Eagles had more talent but weren't the better team. Imagine if Mahomes was 100%. They had a lot of luck and fortune this season. If the kicker didn't miss that FG and if that turnover wasn't taken back for a TD, this game wouldn't have been as close as it was at the end. They ran out of luck when the ref decided to throw a flag that they let slide all game long.

I have some friends who are good Eagle Fans but there is an element among that fan base that is pure trash. I witnessed them many times at the stadium and they showed their ugliness tossing over a car and protesting in the city after the game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Rambo89 on February 13, 2023, 09:08:45 AMDifference in the game was the KC Offensive line that didn't allow a sack against a devastating pass rush and Special Teams.
Rambo: Can't agree enough. 

No sacks was IMO the most meaningful stat last night (knowing, in advance, which team won the game).

Just remember... that is a "point against you" in the Jones vs. Hurts comparison. LOL

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Do you know why the Eagles lost because they fold when the chips were down?

Add to that, they were way out-coached. The best example is what killed KC all first half, Hurts running the ball. Does anyone remember him running wild in the second half? Don't tell me KC took that away. His number wasn't called thru most of the second half and that enabled KC to control the ball and basically score at will.

Philly's defense is good, but only if they get that pass rush. Once you nullify that, teams can move the ball on them.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on February 13, 2023, 09:25:43 AMDo you know why the Eagles lost because they fold when the chips were down?

Add to that, they were way out-coached. The best example is what killed KC all first half, Hurts running the ball. Does anyone remember him running wild in the second half? Don't tell me KC took that away. His number wasn't called thru most of the second half and that enabled KC to control the ball and basically score at will.

Philly's defense is good, but only if they get that pass rush. Once you nullify that, teams can move the ball on them.

Playing defense is easier when playing with a lead, a luxury the Eagle's D enjoyed most of the season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

The Eagles made the cardinal mistake for their style of offense - they turned the ball over.  The fumble return was massive, at a time when the Eagles really could have asserted themselves and demoralized the Chiefs.  As much as they were chewing clock and sustaining drives they never distanced themselves from the Chiefs.  You play that kind of ground control game and there's no margin for error.  They went 3 and out after the Chiefs took a 1 point lead, and allowed a huge punt return. 

uconnjack8

I found it interesting that Mahomes passed for 182 yards, Hurts went over 300 passing and KC rushed for more yards than Philly 158 to 115.  Even with some of the big runs Hurts had for 1st downs, Philly only had 3.6 ypc, a full yard below their regular season average. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on February 13, 2023, 09:25:43 AMDo you know why the Eagles lost because they fold when the chips were down?

Len: Another factor not mentioned anywhere here yet (that I saw) is they are a "front-runner" team.

They didn't have a lot of practice winning close games at the end (I think they did so one time).

They're used to not having the constant pressure of playing from behind.

KC was like that in most prior years since Mahomes arrived, but not so much this year.

They played a lot of close games and in the end, last night was just another day at the office.

Bob

beaugestus

Reid with the way he ended the game for the FG did a masterful job, obviously the RB was instructed to slide on the one yard line and subsequently use the clock before they kicked the FG, leaving very little time for the Eagles to attempt a desperation pass. But Reid didn't allow that. Great job Andy.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 13, 2023, 07:02:56 AMThe Eagles were clearly the more talented team.  So how on earth did they win?  I slept on in, and I am still trying to figure that out  :-??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35649198/how-patrick-mahomes-chiefs-played-perfect-second-half-super-bowl-2023-nfl-win-jalen-hurts-eagles

This is an outstanding, detailed, analysis of what the Chiefs did in the second half and how they used Philly's excellent scouting of their offense against them.  Also has a good analysis of the penalty.  This is one of the best football articles I've read in a long time.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 13, 2023, 07:49:38 AMkc played smart. maholmes numbers were pedestrian because they were playing the short game. you cant throw deep on the eagles.. the pass rush is too good. they have guys that work really well underneath. the defense - while giving up a good amount of points, they made hurts do all the work. they shut down the weapons for the most part.

also - maholmes- hes just not human. the eagles were clearly the better team.. but i just dont think your beating him on the biggest stage.

i think experience may also factor in. KC is a perennial contender and more or less the new patriots. they've been there before. while the eagles won a few years back, the chiefs have won more recently, with mostly the same roster.

Looking at Mahomes stats it's apparent that the Chiefs don't trust him to really air it out. /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

True Blue

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 13, 2023, 12:45:32 PMLooking at Mahomes stats it's apparent that the Chiefs don't trust him to really air it out. /sarcasm/

Wasn't like he had only one good ankle or anything, or a defensive touchdown that kept him off the field for what, 23 minutes of regulation in the first half with two long offensive drives? or the Eagles having 35:47 of total TOP? Those things weren't factors at all  /sarcasm/

Bum ankle, lots of pain and was still running around, he had 44 rushing yards.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 13, 2023, 09:27:23 AMPlaying defense is easier when playing with a lead, a luxury the Eagle's D enjoyed most of the season
Rich: If you post that 100 more times it will not be enough. 

The Eagles were this year a "front runner" team that rarely had a nail-biter at the end.

The Chiefs' season had IMO both remarkable and notable aspects to it, in connection with this discussion... remarkable (for one thing) because they played a lot more close games compared to every other year of the Mahomes era... and notable (for one thing) because a chief reasons for all the close games was absence of Tyreek Hill.

Bob