News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How on earth did KC beat the Eagles

Started by MightyGiants, February 13, 2023, 07:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

todge

It was one game. If they played each other 10 times the outcome could be different. The Giants beat the undefeated Pats. Was there even a shadow of a doubt the Pats were far and away the better team?

Don't know who coined the phrase: "on any given Sunday".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimc

I believe one big key is Hurts totally stopped running in the second half.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

PSUBeirut

I thought this article was interesting: 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-lined-up-in-wrong-formation-on-pivotal-super-bowl-play-and-patrick-mahomes-still-managed-to-throw-a-td/

Basically, on that wide open pass to Moore, Toney lined up wrong so Mahomes had to improvise to the other side.  Insert my shocked face here. 

kartanoman

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been mentioned already.

But I did get a chuckle out of the jabs inserted to basically say "in your damned face, Iggles and your decrepit fans!"

"They were lucky ..."
"They were front runners ..."
"They were fat ..."
"I wonder if the D started to believe their own hype."
"They were overrated ..."
"Sirianni is a highly overrated coach ..."
"... there is an element among that fan base that is pure trash."
"the Eagles lost because they fold when the chips were down"

And the winner is ... (sounds of drum roll 🥁 playing) ...

(In the voice of the late George Allen, as he stared at the Cowboys across the field in the 1972 NFC Championship game) "They're a bunch of G-D front runners!"

I love the venom being spit here by Giants fans against the Iggles and it's about time to return them back to second class citizens in the Garden State. Great stuff!

KC made the big plays, when they had to be made, and Philly didn't. It's an old, tiresome cliche, but take out all the hoopla, emotion and venom, that's what this game boiled down to. Yes, the KC coaching staff shined in the spotlight. Yes, Mahomes just kicked Tom Brady off the Everest that is the NFL's QB throne of greatness. The KC football team is officially in contention of possessing the latest NFL football dynasty.

That's how KC defeated Philadelphia in the big show.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 17, 2023, 07:23:56 AMI thought this article was interesting: 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-lined-up-in-wrong-formation-on-pivotal-super-bowl-play-and-patrick-mahomes-still-managed-to-throw-a-td/

Basically, on that wide open pass to Moore, Toney lined up wrong so Mahomes had to improvise to the other side.  Insert my shocked face here. 

This is awesome.  I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff, and this is unbelievable.  A play like this with an improvised audible would be amazing should it have happened in the regular season.  But that it happened in the SB at a huge moment in the game?  I believe that if KC kicked a FG there, the Eagles would have won and I believed that at the time too.  They needed a TD, and they got it in an improbable way.

Bob In PA

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on February 17, 2023, 08:30:21 AMThis is awesome.  I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff, and this is unbelievable.  A play like this with an improvised audible would be amazing should it have happened in the regular season.  But that it happened in the SB at a huge moment in the game?  I believe that if KC kicked a FG there, the Eagles would have won and I believed that at the time too.  They needed a TD, and they got it in an improbable way.

Yeah, and GUESS WHO was lined up wrong?
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GordonGekko80

PSUBeirut

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on February 17, 2023, 10:47:38 AMToney, right?

Yep - it seems Toney was supposed to be the motion man but he lined up on the LOS so Mahomes had to send Moore on the other side (could be both Moore and Toney were lined up wrong, btw- one has to be on LOS and the other off, as I understand it).  Pretty impressive improvisation there by Mahomes, with the game on the line and play clock ticking down.  I'd assume most QBs would take a TO there- which could have been a disastrous waste of a TO in that point in the game. 

Blue Fire

Eagles are clearly the more talented team. However Reid thoroughly outcoached Sirianni and company in the 2nd half. Thoroughly ...

And their QB and offensive line played divinely inspired . 0 sacks given up to a 70 sack team that demolished our OL and the 9ers in the playoffs?

Mahomes said the Good Lord healed his ankle. I believe him!

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

BluesCruz

Seemed to me the Eagles let up in the 2nd half, just as they did against the the Davis Webb led Giants a few weeks before

or so do many on here say who cant believe Webb out-performed DJ.....I didnt see the let up factor in the "Webb" game.....I saw a more motivated Giants 2nd tier players effort

Maybe KC waas just a better team than most Giants fans gave them credit for
Certainly KCs D suprised me

Phillys's D supried me to- they could not get to the QB all night
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 17, 2023, 02:19:43 PMYep - it seems Toney was supposed to be the motion man but he lined up on the LOS so Mahomes had to send Moore on the other side (could be both Moore and Toney were lined up wrong, btw- one has to be on LOS and the other off, as I understand it).  Pretty impressive improvisation there by Mahomes, with the game on the line and play clock ticking down.  I'd assume most QBs would take a TO there- which could have been a disastrous waste of a TO in that point in the game. 

PSU: You're right. It doesn't make sense that Toney was the only one who lined up wrong.

And it causes me to question the accuracy of the headline about "running the wrong play" or whatever.

The explanation, given the known facts, should be more complex. To say more would be sheer guesswork.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

BluesCruz

Toney's a good player

He just didnt want to be a Giant

I think Judge soured him
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

andrew_nyGiants

It was a combination of KC's offensive line taking the challenge that was "the vaunted front 4 of the Eagles" by opening running lanes, and brilliant scheme by Reid/Bienemy getting the ball out of Mahomes hand in less than 2.5 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AZGiantFan

I've posted this link before, but this is a very analytical breakdown of how the Chiefs' 2nd half adjustments used the Eagles scouting against them in the second half.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35649198/how-patrick-mahomes-chiefs-played-perfect-second-half-super-bowl-2023-nfl-win-jalen-hurts-eagles
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on February 17, 2023, 04:51:41 PMEagles are clearly the more talented team. However Reid thoroughly outcoached Sirianni and company in the 2nd half. Thoroughly ...

And their QB and offensive line played divinely inspired . 0 sacks given up to a 70 sack team that demolished our OL and the 9ers in the playoffs?

Mahomes said the Good Lord healed his ankle. I believe him!

Two biggest gaps in talent were the Chiefs having the better QB and Special Teams.  While the Eagles had the more talented defense the gap at QB and Special Teams were the difference.

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 18, 2023, 09:22:28 AMSeemed to me the Eagles let up in the 2nd half, just as they did against the the Davis Webb led Giants a few weeks before

or so do many on here say who cant believe Webb out-performed DJ.....I didnt see the let up factor in the "Webb" game.....I saw a more motivated Giants 2nd tier players effort

Maybe KC waas just a better team than most Giants fans gave them credit for
Certainly KCs D suprised me

Phillys's D supried me to- they could not get to the QB all night

Difference is the Eagles were never 19 points up on the Chiefs midway through the 3rd Quarter and didn't have less than 100 yards of offense with 0 points to that point in the game.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18