News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quarterback Push Could Be Outlawed by NFL Next Season

Started by MightyGiants, February 16, 2023, 07:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteThere is a good chance Jalen Hurts may have to fly solo on quarterback sneaks next season.

The league's competition committee is expected to take a hard look at the Tush Push play that was so effective for Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles this season.

Much more

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/quarterback-push-could-be-outlawed-by-nfl-next-season/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 16, 2023, 07:43:34 PMMuch more

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/quarterback-push-could-be-outlawed-by-nfl-next-season/

I certainly hope so.  This is football, not rugby.  And outlawing this practice would be in line with the same principle by which they outlawed a player vaulting up using another player in an attempt to block a kick.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Let's "push tush" back to the Precambrian era of the sport to when players would be carried off in body bags and President Teddy Roosevelt intervening to save the football code before it would be abandoned forever and we would become part of the Rugby Nations (no disrespect to rugby intended, even though Aussie Rules really does rule!).

So, a team took a formation and maximized its yield to help them. Don't you think defensive coordinators will plan countermeasures to limit its effectiveness next season? Or, what should have been mentioned in the first place, is that in increases the risk of serious injuries (QUESTION: has a study been performed to tally the number of injuries which have occurred in using this play?). No, it's because it's not "sexy" and the NFL Competition Committee wants to "showcase the talent" of its players (insert eyeroll emoticon here).

Unfortunately, you can't let a team one-up the competition committee! So, bye-bye tush-push unless, that is, you want to subscribe to the rugby code of football.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

PSUBeirut

Good.  It's a stupid play, never liked it. 

jimc

QB's are not the only ones that get the help of a shove in the back. Linemen pretending to be blocking but actually pushing the runner from behind.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

President Rick

going the way of the old flying wedge on KO returns!    good.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

It's basically an unstoppable one yard play that any team can do. There really is no good reason why anyone should punt or kick on 4th and 1 if that play is allowed.

LennG

It's not just the QB that has gotten the benefit of a push. If memory serves wasn't Barkley pushed for a few 1st dows and even a TD?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

BluesCruz

I think it was 1997 or so when the Giants lost a season ending playoff game to Dallas on a push that was in my opinion not even a push (someone just fell down)...when was this crazy Rugby action even officially allowed anyway?

it just seemed to appear out of nowhere this past year
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

spiderblue43

It's a rugby play and it should be stopped. The Eagles made it work too well.Goal line push I don't mind..but it's now too prevalent

Bob In PA

Can't believe they changed rules to allow it (IMO just like any other type of pushing from behind, it's dangerous).

With people the size of NFL linemen, I'm stunned no one has been hurt (that I can recall)

It's not the same as rugby, and many NFL players are much larger. So much weight in a pile is not a good idea.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

You see the beef here, folks? 1. Because it's the Eagles and 2. Because it worked so well FOR THEM, it should be outlawed.

I can clearly remember, on the Christmas Eve Giants game in Minnesota where Barkley had more than a helping "tush-push" which assisted his end-zone endeavor and I don't recall, during the game thread, that too many folks were complaining about that.

We can moan and groan about the pre-Walter Camp rules of football which found their way into the game, and the competition committee can do as they wish about it, but what I find most interesting is that the safety implications of allowing this play back into the rules of the game, which Camp explicitly designed out of the game, in the name of safety, hasn't received as much publicity as it probably should. So, below is an article which speaks to that impact should the NFL decide to allow the play going forward:

NFL should consider dangers of the Tush Push

If you're a Giants, Cowboys or Commanders fan, the anti-Eagles bias is completely understandable. But I believe the bigger, and more important picture gets lost. Eliminate, or modify the code, to mitigate risk of injury. Regardless of the showcase of skill, or lack thereof, player safety is what needs to be the deciding factor here.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 18, 2023, 10:18:12 AMCan't believe they changed rules to allow it (IMO just like any other type of pushing from behind, it's dangerous).

With people the size of NFL linemen, I'm stunned no one has been hurt (that I can recall)

It's not the same as rugby, and many NFL players are much larger. So much weight in a pile is not a good idea.

Bob

Hello Bob.

You hit the nail on the head. Now, I'm not a fan of rugby, never cared for the sport and its code just never clicked with me. But the one thing I know is that, even when they scrum, it is an organized formation in similar fashion to gridiron code when offense and defense line up on the scrimmage line, along with all the nuances of the formations. The actual rugby scrum has more organization and, dare I suggest it, is safer than the tush push.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Peace!

Rosehill Jimmy

I can't forget the last play of the Jax game when one of our DBs was nearly sawed in half by one of these blocks
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

CVA14

"Assisting the ball carrier" used to be a penalty. Should IMHO be reinstated.