News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Cutting the Cord

Started by LennG, February 25, 2023, 12:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Either slap me on the back or kick me in the butt, we have finally decided to cut the cord from Cable. We have been a subscriber of Optimum for maybe 15 years. Overall we were satisfied with their service (some good and some bad) but each year the price keeps going up and up, basically nickeling and diming us to death. I have called several times over the years and always seemed to get put into some other program that sort of kept my cost in the range we could afford, but the other day I got almost another $30 increase on my bill and that was it for me.
I called and asked for some other deal they could find. I explained we are high seniors, I am a USAF veteran and we are living on a basically fixed income which this new increase, we simply feel is well overpriced considering what else is out there. They seemingly couldn't care less.

So I called Verizon FIOS for my internet for $50 per month. We also have had our landline phone for God knows how long and my wife prefers that, so we signed up with one of those internet phone servers for $10 per month, and as soon as they take my cable boxes out we will sign up with the FUBU TV, as with a certain AMEX card we have we can save $30 per month for 4 months with this service. They offer all the local channels and about 130 other channels including most of what we do watch. We have HBO MAX for a year, Amazon Prime, and HULU for a year, and we have Peacock and Paramount + for a few months. With the savings, I will re-up our subscription to Netflix and we should be all set as far as what to watch.
 I know our regular viewing habits will have to change but we will manage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Smart move. The cable companies have out priced their usefulness. Funny thing, Spectrum now offers a reduced cost for their television package. You get to choose 16 channels or something like that for 29.95, and guess what??? It's streamed just like Netflix or any other cord-cutting American media company. So when the internet is down (and it happens here intermittently and is infuriating when in the middle of a show on Netflix, Hulu, whatever). I think it's only a matter of time before landlines and cable boxes go the way of the 8-track and cassette tape players
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Very nice Len. You'll get used to streaming very quickly. I agree with Ric, 8-tracks, cassettes, Betamax/VHS...all of them.

We moved on from our land line to strictly cell phones over 15 years ago despite my wife's protestations, and now she could never imagine going back. I would be willing to bet your wife would feel the same in a short amount of time. IMO there is no good reason to be tied to a wire.

LennG

We stream a lot now using our Fire Stick, so streaming isn't new. I am used to DVRing basically everything and watching as we choose with no commercials. I'll have to see how this changes.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I still have cable as I'm a hockey, baseball, and basketball fan. I use it for a few other things as well, although none of those things are necessities by any means. But those other sports I can't do without as I watch a ton of them. Maybe there are ways to save money by streaming them but I haven't really looked into that yet.

LennG

Dave

there are many streaming services out there. We happened to pick this FUBU YV because of savings thru an AMEX card. But looking at their sports line-up they seem to have most things you might be looking for, MLB channel, NHL channel, MSG, ESPN, and many others.

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on February 26, 2023, 01:57:40 PMDave

there are many streaming services out there. We happened to pick this FUBU YV because of savings thru an AMEX card. But looking at their sports line-up they seem to have most things you might be looking for, MLB channel, NHL channel, MSG, ESPN, and many others.

Thanks Lenn.

Yup, I am aware of this channel although I haven't done a deep dive. I'll probably pull the trigger at some point. Just haven't yet.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on February 26, 2023, 01:57:40 PMDave

Gotta have YES Network, MSG, and ACC for me. I think everyone carries ESPN, FS1, etc.

LennG

Since I do not watch baseball and HATE the Yankees, YES network would never be on my channel list.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on February 26, 2023, 08:36:56 PMSince I do not watch baseball and HATE the Yankees, YES network would never be on my channel list.
=))  =))

I'm still hoping you'll come around, Lenn! LOL
Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and apple pie - it's as American as a New Yorker can get :flag:  :laugh:

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 26, 2023, 09:18:09 PM=))  =))

I'm still hoping you'll come around, Lenn! LOL
Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and apple pie - it's as American as a New Yorker can get :flag:  :laugh:
While I completely agree with you Ric I think it would be a cold day in hell before Len does.  :no: