News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Breaking news: Jalen Carter Arrest warrants issued

Started by brownelvis54, March 01, 2023, 11:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2023, 05:09:45 PMKids do crap like that all the time but the only part that is the outlier is the death of the students.  That is reckless for sure but kids are reckless.  It's different than a character issue like Joe Mixon beating up a girl.

I had 2 JHS students killed in a street racing incident a couple of years before I retired.  So maybe it isn't so much an outlier as something you don't hear about unless it is someone famous or a situation you happen to be close to.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

It's a moot point because he will get picked way before us, but I'm with Philosophers - at 25th I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's a young kid who acted like an idiot. He is not the first, and he won't be the last. He is responsible for his behavior and deserves to pay the appropriate price, but this isn't nearly as bad as some things some of these kids have done. It was not malicious behavior a la Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Ray Rice, etc. He was an irresponsible idiot. He's also possibly the best player in this draft and would be an absolute monster for us up front for up to a decade or more.

Obviously, you'd need to do some due diligence and make sure he has no priors or a bad history, and you'd need to assess whether he is serious about growing up etc, but I don't see how you can pass up an opportunity like that. You're talking about a first team all pro caliber type player here.

Again - moot point. Unless something else comes out there's no way this guy makes it out of the top 15, and I doubt he makes it out of the top 10. So if you hate the idea of him being a Giant, I wouldn't worry about it.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on March 01, 2023, 03:19:58 PMDrunkenly racing cars through town in the middle of the night resulting in the death of two people then fleeing the scene and lying about it is a "typical youthful mistake"?  I'm willing to be open-minded about some of the insults hurled at America's youth, but this is pretty reckless behavior (that had dire consequences) that I can't handwave away.

I agree.  I'd avoid the guy- there were apparently character concerns prior to this incident even happening.  The fact he did this in the weeks before the combine is another huge red flag.  Just plain stupid.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 01, 2023, 06:21:12 PMI agree.  I'd avoid the guy- there were apparently character concerns prior to this incident even happening.  The fact he did this in the weeks before the combine is another huge red flag.  Just plain stupid.

For the record, it happened the day the team was honored in Athens for winning the National title
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

T200

Not excusing the racing at all, but he was in a Trackhawk that is designed and built to handle triple-digit speeds. The Ford Expedition that the victims were in? Not hardly.

And this is no way meant to sound sexist: the young lady was the driver of the Expedition.

Edit to add:

QuoteWhile participating in a street race was reckless and showed poor judgment, it wasn't Carter who caused the other car to crash, nor is he responsible for anyone else's decision to race.

"The evidence demonstrated that both vehicles switched between lanes, drove in the center turn lane, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists, and drove at high rates of speed, in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other," Athens police said in a statement.

It was a terrible decision. Arrogant and juvenile. Still, it was LeCroy who was clearly drunk driving that night, not Carter. Police said Carter did not appear to be under the influence of anything when they spoke with him at the accident site.

That occurred about an hour and a half after the crash when Carter was asked to return to the site after initially leaving. That's another questionable decision, but he was under no obligation to remain at an accident site in which his car wasn't involved.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-hoping-jalen-carter-publicly-tells-truth-he-promised-about-alleged-involvement-in-fatal-crash-001131663.html
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building