News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Eagles give Darius Slay permission to seek trade

Started by True Blue, March 10, 2023, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Going to be a very different looking Eagles team next year

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/report-eagles-give-darius-slay-permission-to-seek-trade/amp/

"The Eagles may be losing James Bradberry as a free agent next week and their other starting cornerback could be on the move this offseason as well.

Dianna Russini of ESPN reports that the team has given Slay permission to talk to other teams about a trade. The report notes that the Eagles still hope to find a way to keep Slay in the fold.

A new contract would probably be the route to making that happen. Slay is headed into the final year of his current deal with a $17 million base salary and a cap hit of just over $26.1 million.

Slay came to the Eagles in a 2020 trade with the Lions and he's played 48 games with them over the last three seasons. He made a pair of Pro Bowls while recording 166 tackles, seven interceptions, and two forced fumbles. He returned one interception and both fumbles for touchdowns. Slay also started all four of the team's playoff games the last two years.

Bradberry is joined by several other key free agents on defense, so it was shaping up to be an offseason of major change in Philadelphia already. A Slay trade would make for an even bigger shift for the NFC champions."The Eagles may be losing James Bradberry as a free agent next week and their other starting cornerback could be on the move this offseason as well.

AZGiantFan

They only free up $3.7 million while incurring $22.4 million in dead money.  The acquiring team would need/want to resign him since his contract only has one more year.  Absent a new contract the acquiring team would have to pay him $17.5 million.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

True Blue

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 10, 2023, 03:05:02 PMThey only free up $3.7 million while incurring $22.4 million in dead money.  The acquiring team would need/want to resign him since his contract only has one more year.  Absent a new contract the acquiring team would have to pay him $17.5 million.

I'm sure any trade scenario would have to include a new deal. Can't imagine a team would give up anything for one year with those numbers for a 32yo DB

Jclayton92

The problem isnt the Eagles defense, the problem is they bring everyone but miles Sanders back on offense and have a ton of picks to rebuild the defense including a top 10-12 pick.

PSUBeirut

I guess these are the downsides of swinging for the upper bell curve and coming up just short.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2023, 03:48:58 PMThe problem isnt the Eagles defense, the problem is they bring everyone but miles Sanders back on offense and have a ton of picks to rebuild the defense including a top 10-12 pick.

It's why I would expect any drop off they have to not be much.  Still think they're a playoff team next season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

They have the best GM in the league and whoever is #2 is not even close.

They are the team the beat in the NFC until proven otherwise as far as I am concerned. I have no doubt Roseman will sign, cut, trade, draft, and who knows what other voodoo he will work up, but he will restock their roster and they will still be good. Maybe not so much the juggernaut they were this year but they will still be a contender until other teams in the conference catch up

uconnjack8

Biggest question on offense is if Kelce is coming back.  They have UFA starting G as well. 

They will be doing some contract restructuring to manage their cap issues I would imagine.

One thing I would bet on is the 4 DL with double digit sacks will not all be back.

Symphony Steve

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 10, 2023, 04:37:51 PMBiggest question on offense is if Kelce is coming back.  They have UFA starting G as well. 

They will be doing some contract restructuring to manage their cap issues I would imagine.

One thing I would bet on is the 4 DL with double digit sacks will not all be back.

True, but Graham resigned today. Real nice rotational rush end.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Symphony Steve on March 10, 2023, 04:58:34 PMTrue, but Graham resigned today. Real nice rotational rush end.

And for only 6 million.  That's a cap friendly deal.