News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Death of AM Radio

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 15, 2023, 01:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

It's funny, but I listen to far more AM radio than they myriad of options available in my car. Once I've heard a song several thousand times, I don't really need to hear it again. I listen to music in the car when all I want to do is think about some issue on my mind that is unrelated to sports or news. I listen to AM for sports talk, political talk, news, weather, road reports, etc. I must not be alone because according to a Nielsen Company media survey, 47 million Americans listen to AM radio, which is only about 20% of all radio listeners, but a lot of people

Here's the issue. EVs are no longer including an AM radio option due to some kind of electrical interference that causes bugs in the vehicles electrical operating system. As more and more EVs hit the road, the AM stations that work within a tight budget will not be able to sell air time to local (and national) companies and will fade out over time

What a shame  :(

I grew up as a kid listening to 1430 WENE (Weenie) and was introduced to the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Four Seasons, Marvin Gaye, Mamas and Papas, Tommy James and the Shondells, Three Dog Night, the Turtles, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Doors, even one-hit wonders like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Circl, the Troggs (who is the real band that started "power chords" with "Wild Thing", unlike Green Day which gets credit for it in music publications  :-?? ), etc

It's a weird thing, but my desire to get an electric vehicle is diminished simply by the loss of the option of AM in the car

For those who don't know what I'm talking about with the Troggs starting the "power chord" movement, I'm sure you will recognize their hit because it was used in the movie, "Major League"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: