News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Dallas Releases Face Of The Franchise RB Ezekiel Elliott

Started by Ed Vette, March 15, 2023, 03:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

27 years old and is burnt out. Ya hear that JS?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Like Dallas the Giants made the mistake of using a Top 5 pick on a RB.  Hopefully unlike Dallas the Giants don't make the same mistake they did by signing that RB to a second contract long term.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 15, 2023, 04:06:50 PMLike Dallas the Giants made the mistake of using a Top 5 pick on a RB.  Hopefully unlike Dallas the Giants don't make the same mistake they did by signing that RB to a second contract long term.

Rambo: They will, if only to ensure that the tag-line at the bottom of your posts comes true in 2024. LOL =))  =))  =))
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MagicRat

History may well end up showing McCaffery as the last RB ever to coin it really big.

Smell my cheese you mother!

Giant Jim

Quote from: Rambo89 on March 15, 2023, 04:06:50 PMLike Dallas the Giants made the mistake of using a Top 5 pick on a RB.  Hopefully unlike Dallas the Giants don't make the same mistake they did by signing that RB to a second contract long term.

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 15, 2023, 03:47:06 PM27 years old and is burnt out. Ya hear that JS?
Tiki Barber retired after 10 seasons at the top of his game.

Rambo89

Quote from: Giant Jim on March 15, 2023, 05:34:43 PMTiki Barber retired after 10 seasons at the top of his game.

Because he had a light work load in the early part of his career
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Smart move by Dallas. Kind of obvious too. Zeke stinks at this point. I know there's dead cap but they're still going to save more than it will cost to get a better RB in FA than Zeke is at this point.

Caring about his dead cap at this point and making the wrong decision because of it is foolish. It is akin to caring about chips you've already put in the pot and then deciding to call another bet to stay in a poker hand where you know you're almost certainly beaten and the pot odds are clearly against you.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Giant Jim on March 15, 2023, 05:34:43 PMTiki Barber retired after 10 seasons at the top of his game.
Tiki had a healthy career (missed two games in nine years) because he knew how to train, how to move off of hits, was patient for gaps to open and he knew how to rehab his body after games. And as Rambo said he didn't have a heavy workload until his last five seasons. Probably could have played two more years.

Unlike Elliott and Barkley who have taken damage and injuries. I wouldn't bet the farm on Barkley having a ten year career.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: MagicRat on March 15, 2023, 05:09:51 PMHistory may well end up showing McCaffery as the last RB ever to coin it really big.

Football constantly changes and evolves.  If the league is going towards more 12 and 13 personnel against the lighter, quicker defenses, then more value to RB's can't be that far behind.

MagicRat

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on March 15, 2023, 07:05:09 PMFootball constantly changes and evolves.  If the league is going towards more 12 and 13 personnel against the lighter, quicker defenses, then more value to RB's can't be that far behind.
I just feel that the increasing combination of speed and physicality, on both sides of the ball, inevitably shortens the effective lifespan of any RB.
That makes me think teams baulk at multi-year big bucks deals.
Smell my cheese you mother!