News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Looking forward to Daniel Jones, the monster deep passer

Started by Greenzone, March 25, 2023, 10:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 26, 2023, 01:34:16 PMYou're correct. Jones had more time to throw than Tua, 2.72 to 2.44. And more time to sack 3.75 to 3.00. 

Time to sack and throw is impacted by a quarterback's ability to scramble (Jones was quite good at scrambling and then throwing off-platform.  The other thing to consider is that once Jones was in trouble, the Giants' receivers were taught to start making their way back to the QB (giving Jones a better chance of getting rid of the ball)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2023, 01:47:52 PMTime to sack and throw is impacted by a quarterback's ability to scramble (Jones was quite good at scrambling and then throwing off-platform.  The other thing to consider is that once Jones was in trouble, the Giants' receivers were taught to start making their way back to the QB (giving Jones a better chance of getting rid of the ball)
Rich: Right. And the OTHER thing to consider is who the WR's were for each team, and how fast they can run. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 26, 2023, 01:59:21 PMRich: Right. And the OTHER thing to consider is who the WR's were for each team, and how fast they can run. Bob

Our group was pretty slow last season.  Schoen seemed to focus on improving speed in free agency
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2023, 01:47:52 PMTime to sack and throw is impacted by a quarterback's ability to scramble (Jones was quite good at scrambling and then throwing off-platform.  The other thing to consider is that once Jones was in trouble, the Giants' receivers were taught to start making their way back to the QB (giving Jones a better chance of getting rid of the ball)
🙄
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

Quote from: Fletch on March 26, 2023, 01:33:05 AMpfff. I am sure he ispaid like a top 10 QB becuase of that. He is paid that because Mara loves him and he believes he found the next Eli.

Meanwhile D Jones is that old car that you are emotionally attached to that costs an arm and a leg in repairs that you should get rid of, but you cannot bring yourself to do it. That is what Daniel jones is to Mara -- a junky old car you can't part with for emotional reasons.
You have no proof that "Mara loves him"
and that is why he is being paid. So why do you persist in this stuff post after post ...?

Calling the starting QB a "junky old car" just reeks of someone who hates the kid and his skill set.

Can't you bring something else to the table here rather than the same old anti-DJ banter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch

Just calling it like I see it. And isn't that more
Interesting than another Daniel Jones pump
Up thread ? You don't think it's a bit of stretch to say Daniel jones is that this "monster" deep passer? They obviously didn't let him throw past four yards all season. And he's not
Known for having this real arm talent

Fletch

Find me one person on any podcast or espn or anyone except someone  besides a simms or Carl banks who thinks this guy is even a really good qb let alone a top 10 QB. He's is being paid like one however. There are holes all over this roster and we are overpaying for an qb that coach Daboll hide all his flaws by not letting him throw over four yards and only if someone was wide open and running the ball more than anyone. and all I heard was constant bitching about how golladay was stealing money here . No idea why the same rule s don't apply to jones. I think the odds are much greater than golladay plays much better on another team like Evan engram has ; like k toney has —- than there is any chance Jones  becomes a top player

Nyfg83

Quote from: Fletch on March 26, 2023, 09:38:19 PMFind me one person on any podcast or espn or anyone except someone  besides a simms or Carl banks who thinks this guy is even a really good qb let alone a top 10 QB. He's is being paid like one however. There are holes all over this roster and we are overpaying for an qb that coach Daboll hide all his flaws by not letting him throw over four yards and only if someone was wide open and running the ball more than anyone. and all I heard was constant bitching about how golladay was stealing money here . No idea why the same rule s don't apply to jones. I think the odds are much greater than golladay plays much better on another team like Evan engram has ; like k toney has —- than there is any chance Jones  becomes a top player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Blue

Quote from: Fletch on March 26, 2023, 09:38:19 PMFind me one person on any podcast or espn or anyone except someone  besides a simms or Carl banks who thinks this guy is even a really good qb let alone a top 10 QB. He's is being paid like one however. There are holes all over this roster and we are overpaying for an qb that coach Daboll hide all his flaws by not letting him throw over four yards and only if someone was wide open and running the ball more than anyone. and all I heard was constant bitching about how golladay was stealing money here . No idea why the same rule s don't apply to jones. I think the odds are much greater than golladay plays much better on another team like Evan engram has ; like k toney has —- than there is any chance Jones  becomes a top player

Yeah, maybe they should include Jones in a trade package for Aaron Rodgers?

Greenzone

Quote from: Fletch on March 26, 2023, 09:04:51 PMAnd he's not Known for having this real arm talent

He's got excellent fake arm talent, then.

Oops. You probably didn't know about that advanced stat. Can't blame you.

The fake media never brings it up, even ahead of negotiations.

Must be that advanced stats got it entirely wrong, yeah, that's it. Let's be like CNN and go with that.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on March 26, 2023, 09:04:51 PMJust calling it like I see it. And isn't that more
Interesting than another Daniel Jones pump
Up thread ? You don't think it's a bit of stretch to say Daniel jones is that this "monster" deep passer? They obviously didn't let him throw past four yards all season. And he's not
Known for having this real arm talent

https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1609649073090621440
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Just so we are clear. Your belief is that the only reason Jones is still here is because John and maybe Chris Mara gave Daboll and Schoen an ultimatum "You will keep Daniel Jones as our quarterback going forward."

Is this accurate?

babywhales

Daniel Jones: Running His Way to Mediocrity - Stampede Blue

3 month old article with some real nice breakdowns and graphs

Excerpts

Overall, Jones has faced easy passing defenses (25th opd) and with Saquon Barkley, the Giants have one of the better run games in the league (11th aRSR). This should give him an advantage at throwing the ball, but if so it's hard to discern.
This season, he has faced the 2nd most pressure (pr%) and a large part of that is a poor O-line that ranks 25th in Pass Block Win Rate. However, another significant variable is his 9th longest time to throw (ttt). When protection collapses, he relies on his legs with the 2nd highest scramble rate (scr%). Of course, that does not always work out as he also has the 7th highest sack rate (sk%) and the 9th largest throw away rate (ta%). That all culminates into the 2nd highest abandoned attempt rate of any QB (aa%).

When he does manage to actually throw passes, they have the 29th average depth (adot) and translate to the 26th longest completions by air yards (ay/c). He has good accuracy (9th cpoe) and his receivers get average-ish yac (17th yac, 16th yacoe), so he manages the 24th ranked YPA.
His scrambles actually average better yardage than his passes (7.5 yds) and because he is a good runner, he can keep the negative yardage on sacks low (5th shortest). This minimizes the impact of his abandoned plays and keeps his net yardage efficiency ranking from dropping any further (24th ny/d).
He's the best in the league at not turning the ball over (32nd to%), almost worst at getting TDs (27th td%) and about average at getting first downs (16th 1st%). So, that all spans the gamut.
He has the overall 16th ranked EPA efficiency (epa/d). Add to that the 15th ranked Passing Success rate (psr) and that makes him the king of average QB production. Although Tom Brady might fight him for that crown.

Short passing depth with short completion depth needs accuracy and great YAC to make it work. The accuracy is there, but not the YAC.

Overall, Jones has good, albeit highly variable, accuracy.

He is consistently longer than average in throwing time and with such short passes, that is a bad combo. That suggests he either can not find open receivers or he is unwilling to throw to them.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

At the end of the day Daboll and Schoen felt DJ provided them the best opportunity now to continue to develop the offense. The two are giving Jones 2 years to continue to develop or they will move on.  

Not really a stretch as they would need at least 1 year for a realistic alternate plan anyway. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S