News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants have a big advantage this season over last

Started by MightyGiants, March 31, 2023, 08:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

At this time last year, the Giants' coaching staff was busy evaluating their existing roster and developing their playbooks and strategies on how they would use that talent.

This year, the Giants coaching staff is flying all over the country evaluating players first hand at pro-days.

I am a huge proponent of coaches being heavily involved in the scouting process.  After all, if you told a coach which player he would pick for his team, he is going to get it right more than he gets it wrong.

So I think there is a potential for some real "hits" coming out of this year's ten selections.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I agree with this

Not to mention last year they didn't have the whole FO in place, and likely leaned a bit more on the coaches last draft as Schoen didn't have alot of time with his other hires to get some of the stuff done I am sure they would have liked.

Having time together amd to fill out the staff and actually have time to scout and prepare, should only help them so much more this go around

EDIT: Coaches should absolutely be involved, but Schoen, Brown and whoever else having actual time to plan and prepare was moreso the point

MightyGiants

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on March 31, 2023, 11:15:30 AMI agree with this

Not to mention last year they didn't have the whole FO in place, and likely leaned a bit more on the coaches last draft as Schoen didn't have alot of time with his other hires to get some of the stuff done I am sure they would have liked.

Having time together amd to fill out the staff and actually have time to scout and prepare, should only help them so much more this go around

Those are good points.  This past season, Schoen had HIS scouts out there scouting the players.  Plus, Schoen has mentioned better knowing what Wink is looking for this season (he already knew what Daboll liked from their days in Buffalo)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

100% right.

Scouts source the seeds but the coaches determine the quality of the produce.

gregf

Good points.  However, last year we had inside info from Bill's, Philly. KC, and Ravens on draft prospects.

MightyGiants

Quote from: gregf on March 31, 2023, 12:48:40 PMGood points.  However, last year we had inside info from Bill's, Philly. KC, and Ravens on draft prospects.

Greg, I think that is a good point.  Still, I would rather have a more refined in-house draft evaluation over some glimpses into what other teams think of a prospect. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 02, 2023, 08:20:12 AMHere is an article that goes in-depth on the point I was making

https://nypost.com/2023/04/01/brian-daboll-and-staff-are-clicking-in-second-giants-season/amp/

The one paragraph that puts a smile on my face is, "We'll figure out maybe some new drills, call some other coaches, whether that be in college or some buddies I know in the league, and ask them about some trends or things that they might be doing,'' Daboll said. "I think you always have to try to evolve, get better at your craft. I know it was my first time for everything last year. So, there's a lot of things I could've done better.''

His willingness to evolve and learn is exciting. He's not set in his ways and has the innate humility to admit he has learning to go and will shake the bushes to get that learning
:ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: