News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How upset would you be?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 02, 2023, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

If next year, the Giants are 5-12?

While reading the NY Post this morning on a story about how much better this offseason is for Schoen and Daboll, they stated, "this year they don't have to worry about signing coaches or having adequate time to review draft prospects...". It was brought up by a fan response that "injuries could hit again" and "the offensive line still has work and is unproven", and then he asked how Giants' fans would feel if they took a step back and only won five games next season https://nypost.com/2023/04/01/brian-daboll-and-staff-are-clicking-in-second-giants-season/amp/

This really got me thinking  :-?? , because I know fans are fickle, and they always think the next season will be a little bit better than last because of the new parts added. As for me, I would just think it's an anomaly and that we weren't even supposed to be competitive for several years...so I'd give them a pass. I certainly would not start calling for heads to roll. However, some might

What say you?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I'd be very disappointed with 5-12, but I wouldn't be calling for heads to roll. 2022 was too good (relative to the past decade) for that to be the case.

Gmo11

It would be a pretty significant step back to finish 5-12.  I think it would depend on what happened to get there.  Did Jones get hurt in Week 2 and miss the season?  If so, 5-12 wouldn't be as much of a catastrophe.  If the team stayed relatively healthy all year and still finished 5-12 it would be pretty alarming.  I would expect around 8 wins or so this year adjusting for a better overall team but also reverting back to the mean when it comes to 1 score games. 

Ed Vette

Upset? That depends. Surprised? Not at all. I lived through a very encouraging 2002 season with optimism and witnessed the 2003 disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_New_York_Giants_season
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I've been saying since before the season that we'd likely take a few steps back this upcoming season. I could easily see us only winning 5. The Vikings playoff game made a ton of people think we were something we weren't. So many late game or 1 point wins combined with only beating 1 team with a winning record in said playoff game and 1-4-1 in the division and realize quickly we aren't there yet. Any team with any talent beat us handidly last season. The defense likely takes a step back this season so the offense has to take one forward. Otherwise the schedule is pretty brutal or at least harder than the cupcake one last season.

Philosophers

1) with thos draft, we dont secure a WR1.

2) we draft a center who struggles next season.

3) Waller and Campbell miss significant playing time due to injuries.  With no WR1, DJ is back to old crew.

4). Injuries on OL get a merry go round of backups.

5) we play a tougher schedule and dont win as many close games.

That's how we get to 5-12 and yes I definitely think it can happen.

EDjohnst1981

That would be a significant backward step.

I would find that very frustrating.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 02, 2023, 12:56:45 PMThat would be a significant backward step.

I would find that very frustrating.

Now there's an honest man...lol  :ok:

True Blue

I expect a step back in 2023, but not that big of one. I would be disappointed for sure.

MightyGiants

It really depends on what caused the losing season.  I suspect if such a thing does happen, I will be more upset with Schoen than Daboll and his coaching staff.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 02, 2023, 12:50:18 PM1) with thos draft, we dont secure a WR1.

3) Waller and Campbell miss significant playing time due to injuries.  With no WR1, DJ is back to old crew.

6. Neal doesn't improve
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

It would depend on the circumstances, for me. The Giants won the second-most 1-score games this season. Any of them could have gone the other way. If they find themselves in more close games, they can go either way, leading to a 5-12 record.

Just as with any other statistic, the real story lies beneath.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on April 02, 2023, 12:50:18 PM1) with thos draft, we dont secure a WR1.

And then the Honeymoon is over.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I think expectations are a little high because of last season. We blew all expectations out of the water. And it had to do with a light schedule and beating the odds of winning 1-point games, a statistical anomaly. I am preparing my psyche to not get my hopes up as much as I'd like to. We knew from the start this was a long term process and we got lucky in year one. Reality could slap us in the face this season as the schedule isn't nearly as light. Hopefully, I am wrong

Philosophers

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 02, 2023, 01:21:49 PM6. Neal doesn't improve

While that is certainly a possibility, I think it is highly unlikely.  Everything about this kid is that he loves to be coached and is very athletic for his size.  I think year 1 of the NFL may have been overwhelming for him, but I believe year 2 will be a season in which the game really slows down for him and then he'll be able to move without thinking as much.