News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How upset would you be?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 02, 2023, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just_jimmy

I'm not carried away with last year because I think our record was better than our talent.

Therefore I wouldn't be too harsh on only winning 5 games next season.  I'd have to review why.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Painter

I would be disappointed if they lose quite that many games but not necessarily upset unless it revealed a serious issue with DJ at QB. Other than that, and even with a mere 5-win season, I could find consolation from at least a split with the Cows and some payback against the Uglies.

Cheers!

kartanoman

The schedule, in and of itself, is more challenging. Who are the Giants going to beat in the NFC West ... the 49ers? A healthier Rams' team? Seattle? How about in the AFC ... the Bills, Pats, Jets ... the Raiders ... the Dolphins? Oops, forgot the division rivals. Have they bridged the gap yet between them and Dallas and Philly? That ought to sober anyone's outlook on the season ahead even though any combination of variables could make any of those matchups favorable for the Giants.

You would expect to see improvement from continuity from what most believe is a good and competent coaching staff. There are areas that have been improved, but areas that remain of concern. As an organization, they are healing from the mismanagement of their salary cap while making slow, incremental gains to their talent base. This is very much a three-year rebuilding process and should be looked at as such.

I very much remember the excitement of the end of "The Wilderness Years - The Original." Expectations were high, starting in 1982, even after Phil Simms was lost for the year with his knee injury. The season started off with LT destroying Steve Bartkowski on a hot, scorching opening day at Giants Stadium. The Giants were already up 14-7 and marching towards what would have been a game clinching touchdown. People forget that Rob Carpenter had no contract (NOTE: what in the heck was George Young thinking???) so Scott Brunner handed off to Leon Perry ... Perry over the top for the first ... wait ... the ball is loose ... wait ... Bob Glazebrook is running the other way with the ball ... "Was there a whistle? Isn't the ball dead," asks a stunned Frank Glieber to John Madden? Nope, TD Falcons! The entire momentum of the game completely turned on that one play and, although the Giants blocked Mick Luckhurst's extra point, to hold a tenuous 14-13 lead, there was an eerie sense the outcome wasn't going to be good. Sure enough, it ended 16-14 Atlanta and it set the tone for the entire season. One thing after another. The following week, before going on strike, they play the Packers in rain-swept Giants Stadium, go out to a big early lead, then the lights go out, and then so too did the Giants, as the Pack stormed back to run away with it. No Steel Curtain the following week, a 57-day player strike began. Not to re-hash the rest of the season, as we all know they fought hard but finished 4-5, a bad bounce of the ball, lights going out, not finishing games, whatever, they took a step back from 1981 for reasons none of us, at the time, would ever have imagined in the off-season leading up to that unplanned disappointment of a season.

Will something like that happen to the 2023 Giants? Who knows? But the lesson from 1981 to 1982 is plenty clear. Absolutely anything can, and will happen during the season and something nobody here will ever predict is going to impact the Giants season, positively, negatively, or benignly. My only hope is that the players play to their potential, limit costly mistakes and play for each other. I'll accept their outcome, no matter what.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 02, 2023, 04:19:53 PMWhile that is certainly a possibility, I think it is highly unlikely.  Everything about this kid is that he loves to be coached and is very athletic for his size.  I think year 1 of the NFL may have been overwhelming for him, but I believe year 2 will be a season in which the game really slows down for him and then he'll be able to move without thinking as much.

I didn't say it was likely - I'd put it 70-30 that he at least improves to serviceability.  But if he doesn't it could certainly lead to the Giants taking a step back in 2023.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

expatriot

Not at all.  The ball bounced the Giants way last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they finished somewhere between 5-7 wins.  Hope not, but the roster is still under construction, guys need to continue to improve, injuries etc. I always have said that after this year and next year's draft and FA periods, my expectations will rise.... Two FA periods with some cap room (this year and next) and three drafts, including last year....right now it's a work in progress.