News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How NFL Teams Prepare Their Final Draft Board

Started by MightyGiants, April 04, 2023, 12:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

todge

Great article. This process is typical of the vast majority of teams.

Note Polian's take on final "decision makers ". That varies from team to team. When Reese was GM - the entire War Room voted on the selection with the GM only casting a vote in the event of a tie. In the DG regime - it wasn't clear if that process remained. But glimpses of the Giant War Room indicated there wasn't much variance. It remains to be seen what this regime does. But indications are that the final decision makers are a more focused group with Schoen at the forefront as existed in the Bills organization.

I doubt that this organization will ever drift to an autocratic system. The Giant mantra continues to be "personnel decisions are a collaborative effort". But I wish a Giant beat writer (hello Pat T!) would research and report as to just who the final decision makers are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President Rick

even if only once a decade or more, I would wonder IF regardless of the system, an owner could simply override the rest for a different player to whom he was overwhelmingly committed..  I could see a jerra type doing this.  would Mara?   would any owner?  the gm, scouts, coaches, etc. all work for him/them.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

todge

The only owner who has done that is Daniel Snyder. No way Mara would.

Philosophers

Quote from: todge on April 09, 2023, 07:50:38 PMThe only owner who has done that is Daniel Snyder. No way Mara would.

Collaborative does not mean equal vote.  It means they all provide info and have input but it does not mean equal vote. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on April 08, 2023, 02:29:04 PMGreat article. This process is typical of the vast majority of teams.

Note Polian's take on final "decision makers ". That varies from team to team. When Reese was GM - the entire War Room voted on the selection with the GM only casting a vote in the event of a tie. In the DG regime - it wasn't clear if that process remained. But glimpses of the Giant War Room indicated there wasn't much variance. It remains to be seen what this regime does. But indications are that the final decision makers are a more focused group with Schoen at the forefront as existed in the Bills organization.

I doubt that this organization will ever drift to an autocratic system. The Giant mantra continues to be "personnel decisions are a collaborative effort". But I wish a Giant beat writer (hello Pat T!) would research and report as to just who the final decision makers are.

Ted,

The collaboration is done when the Giants set the board.  The sort of voting you suggest is simply not practical when within the time frame of the actual draft
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE