News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Former NFL GM Michael Lombardi on the Barkley and Lawrence situation

Started by DaveBrown74, April 13, 2023, 06:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Pretty good 40 minute podcast here from Michael and Femi on a variety of current topics, including the Giants.

If you want to just listen to the segment on the Giants, just skip to 12:57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCpgCKpkvZg&t=1s

Cliffs notes version:

The Giants may have messed up by rushing to pay Daniel Jones instead of letting him hit the open market first. The reason being because, in Lombardi's opinion at least, the rest of the Giants' locker room knows they didn't win this season because of Daniel Jones. Jones was part of the winning but it wasn't because of him. So for them to just throw all this money at him without legitimizing it by letting the rest of the team see competing bids may have been a tactical mistake, as you now you will have resentment on the part of top players on the team at or nearing contract negotiations who are wondering why the team is throwing all this money at Jones but not them.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2023, 06:11:28 PMPretty good 40 minute podcast here from Michael and Femi on a variety of current topics, including the Giants.

Cliffs notes version:

The Giants may have messed up by rushing to pay Daniel Jones instead of letting him hit the open market first. The reason being because, in Lombardi's opinion at least, the rest of the Giants' locker room knows they didn't win this season because of Daniel Jones. Jones was part of the winning but it wasn't because of him. So for them to just throw all this money at him without legitimizing it by letting the rest of the team see competing bids may have been a tactical mistake, as you now you will have resentment on the part of top players on the team at or nearing contract negotiations who are wondering why the team is throwing all this money at Jones but not them.

I think it's a valid concern and makes a ton of sense.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2023, 06:11:28 PMPretty good 40 minute podcast here from Michael and Femi on a variety of current topics, including the Giants.

Cliffs notes version:

DB,

You kinda left out Mike's most important point.  He suggested the Giants locker room could be suffering from what coach Riley called the disease of me

The Disease Of Me?  Riley offers these 7 Danger Signals:

Inexperience in dealing with sudden success.  When success's spotlight shines on you for the first time, you bask in the glory rather than putting the attention on your teammates who helped make the success a reality.
Chronic feelings of under-appreciation.  You do not feel you are getting enough credit or attention for the team's success.
Paranoia over being cheated out of one's rightful share.  Success has financial rewards.  Rather than celebrating team accomplishment, you focused on who is getting what share of the pie.
Resentment against the competence of partners.  Rather than celebrating the giftedness of your teammate(s), you grow resentful, jealous, and envious of their skills, talents, abilities, and notoriety.
Personal effort mustered solely to outshine a teammate.  The story involving Adbul-Jabbar mentioned above is reflective of this.  Your self-improvement is for the purposes of beating your teammate(s) rather than your rival.
A leadership vacuum resulting from the formation of cliques and rivalries.  Organizations suffering from The Disease Of Me are fractured organizations.  Rather than a leader or leadership team, the organization has splintered into a series of groups with personal agendas.  In these environments, your organization has become a group of internally-competing autonomous zones.
Feelings of frustration even when the team performs successfully.  You are not happy for the team's success unless you get your notoriety, compensation, credit, and additional future opportunities.

He felt Daboll needed to deal with that problem.

https://briandoddonleadership.com/2020/06/20/pat-rileys-7-danger-signals-of-the-disease-of-me

https://twitter.com/mlombardinfl/status/1646604804674949123
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

@MightyGiants

For the purposes of this forum, I considered the most important part of the podcast to be the segment that was directly focused on the topic that has generated by far the most dialogue (and in some cases emotional response) on this board over the past 24 hours or so: the Barkley and Dex situation, and what Lombardi believes has led to it.

The "disease of me" segment was interesting, but I decided to leave it out of the "cliffs notes version" in order to keep it sufficiently brief and for reasons I just explained.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2023, 07:08:06 PM@MightyGiants

For the purposes of this forum, I considered the most important part of the podcast to be the segment that was directly focused on the topic that has generated by far the most dialogue (and in some cases emotional response) on this board over the past 24 hours or so: the Barkley and Dex situation, and what Lombardi believes has led to it.

The "disease of me" segment was interesting, but I decided to leave it out of the "cliffs notes version" in order to keep it sufficiently brief and for reasons I just explained.

DB,

The problem I have with Mike's theory (which Mike admits he could be completely wrong about in the segment) is that if what he said was true about players being resentful of what Jones was paid, there simply would be no way in hell Jones could have convinced so many of his teammates to give up some of their time off to train with him in AZ.

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1644155015722852354

That fact seems to be in direct constriction to Mike's theory about Jones being overpaid and how he should have gone to free agency.

At least the disease of me issue seemed to be something worth considering, although even that idea is a bit of a hard sell at least when it comes to Barkley who was in attendance in AZ.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2023, 07:13:54 PMDB,

The problem I have with Mike's theory (which Mike admits he could be completely wrong about in the segment) is that if what he said was true about players being resentful of what Jones was paid, there simply would be no way in hell Jones could have convinced so many of his teammates to give up some of their time off to train with him in AZ.

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1644155015722852354

That fact seems to be in direct constriction to Mike's theory about Jones being overpaid and how he should have gone to free agency.

At least the disease of me issue seemed to be something worth considering, although even that idea is a bit of a hard sell at least when it comes to Barkley who was in attendance in AZ.

Yeah but aren't those trips mini vacation trips? I mean yes they workout daily but don't most athletes workout daily anyways? Isn't it more of a hangout with the boys?

Stringer Bell

Cliffs notes version:

This doesn't make any sense at all and sounds like someone reaching for the sake of content.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 13, 2023, 08:26:07 PMThis doesn't make any sense at all and sounds like someone reaching for the sake of content.

Which part makes no sense at all? You don't seeing teammates and peers get big contracts can influence other players?

Nyfg83

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 13, 2023, 08:18:44 PMYeah but aren't those trips mini vacation trips? I mean yes they workout daily but don't most athletes workout daily anyways? Isn't it more of a hangout with the boys?
How many people that you resent do you go out of your way to hang out with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Nyfg83 on April 13, 2023, 09:15:33 PMHow many people that you resent do you go out of your way to hang out with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the workplace that's not all that uncommon.

HondurasGiants

It's not impossible BUT I think he's reaching a bit.

Barkley does not want to play under the tag (no player does) and has little to no leverage, other than holding out of voluntary stuff to make a point and put some pressure on the team...

I think that could be seen coming a mile away...

They are negotiating...so is Lawrence...I see it as something expected and normal...AND I think we'll see them signing sooner rather than later.

Then again, maybe it just wishful thinking on my part.

babywhales

Jones was over paid...paid for future possibility ; call it what ever you want.

Others want there's .

As a giant fan

Barkley is a stud who has only 3 decent years of 5 and is often injured and still doesn't have a quality line, so overpaying for too many years is an issue

Jones had one decent year of 5, at best 2 decent years.  Still has a ton to prove and is getting a kings ransom to do.  Without Barkley his running ability will be greatly limited.

Dex had a break out year and honestly a year ago was not a guarantee to have his 5th year option picked up, yet another high ticket risk.

Granted all three have been on historically bad teams with poor coaching, but still that's a ton of money to consistently unproven players, experiencing recent success.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2023, 08:29:40 PMWhich part makes no sense at all? You don't seeing teammates and peers get big contracts can influence other players?

If Daniel Jones didn't get paid or was playing on the franchise tag, do you think Saquon or Lawrence would be at voluntary OTAs without long-term deals? Of course they wouldn't. What's going on with the Giants is basically BAU in the modern NFL. Guys aren't going to risk injury at voluntary workouts while looking for long-term deals. This whole situation is just a big nothing burger.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE