News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Question for those who do not like Emmanuel Forbes

Started by True Blue, April 21, 2023, 10:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: Sem on April 22, 2023, 02:20:11 PMWhat percentage of players that are drafted don't gain *any* weight after they've been with an NFL team, working with professional trainers for any length of time? Does anyone seriously think he'll be 166lbs two years from now? Or even later this year?
Sem, great question so Flott got drafted at 161-166lbs and played his rookie year at 175-176, and is on pace to come to cap close to 180-183lbs.

Forbes was a 166lb at the combine but plus 170lbs at his pro day, and played this past season at 175 lbs. So after rookie camp and nutrition I'd expect him close to 178-180 lbs which would put him 2 inches taller than Adoree Jackson and just 5 pounds skinnier.

Too much has been put on his weight/frame because him being so young and so ridiculously fast he can afford to comfortably add that weight and already seems to know how to do it properly on the collegiate level. I hope people make a huge fuss about it all the way to the draft and he falls in our lap.

Antoine Winfield Sr was drafted in 1999 at 5'9 170lbs and was one of the best 2 way corners of the 2000's with his tackling and ints. Had more than a 1,000 tackles etc and Forbes is 3 inches taller and will likely play at 8-10 pounds heavier.

I know it's not a direct answer to your question but hope it might give a little context.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: 4 Aces on April 22, 2023, 03:20:17 PMThere's smoke the Giants like Deonte Banks at CB in the 1st round.

Smoke this time of year is known as a "smoke screen"  :laugh:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

True Blue

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 22, 2023, 03:21:03 PMSem, great question so Flott got drafted at 161-166lbs and played his rookie year at 175-176, and is on pace to come to cap close to 180-183lbs.

Forbes was a 166lb at the combine but plus 170lbs at his pro day, and played this past season at 175 lbs. So after rookie camp and nutrition I'd expect him close to 178-180 lbs which would put him 2 inches taller than Adoree Jackson and just 5 pounds skinnier.

Too much has been put on his weight/frame because him being so young and so ridiculously fast he can afford to comfortably add that weight and already seems to know how to do it properly on the collegiate level. I hope people make a huge fuss about it all the way to the draft and he falls in our lap.

Antoine Winfield Sr was drafted in 1999 at 5'9 170lbs and was one of the best 2 way corners of the 2000's with his tackling and ints. Had more than a 1,000 tackles etc and Forbes is 3 inches taller and will likely play at 8-10 pounds heavier.

I know it's not a direct answer to your question but hope it might give a little context.

There was alot more hitting back then too, Forbes will be just fine.

todge

Quote from: Sem on April 22, 2023, 02:20:11 PMWhat percentage of players that are drafted don't gain *any* weight after they've been with an NFL team, working with professional trainers for any length of time? Does anyone seriously think he'll be 166lbs two years from now? Or even later this year?
It's not his weight, it's his thin body build that is of concern.

It doesn't make a difference what he did in college. This entire Draft gig is an inexact science because it's very difficult to project how his game (or anyone's for that matter) projects to the NFL.

I respect a lot of you banging the drum for Forbes and he may turn out to be a star. But the majority of scouts have him rated anywhere from 6-10th among CBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Quote from: todge on April 22, 2023, 07:57:50 PMIt's not his weight, it's his thin body build that is of concern.

It doesn't make a difference what he did in college. This entire Draft gig is an inexact science because it's very difficult to project how his game (or anyone's for that matter) projects to the NFL.

I respect a lot of you banging the drum for Forbes and he may turn out to be a star. But the majority of scouts have him rated anywhere from 6-10th among CBs.

Majority of scouts?  How did you poll the scouts of 32 teams?

At 6'1" he can add more than 10 pounds and be fine and definitely not be thin.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 22, 2023, 08:49:53 PMMajority of scouts?  How did you poll the scouts of 32 teams?

I agree, Forbes playing weight is 5lbs smaller than Devon Witherspoon and he is an inch taller than Witherspoon. Most consider Witherspoon a lock top 10 pick. Most actual scouts as you know from the reports we get basically say he's Devon Witherspoon with better ball skills just somewhat skinnier.

On tape he plays at 175lbs and he's knocking SEC RBs on the ground.

The thing people forget is that we were basically dead last in turnovers last season we didn't hardly get any and the 1 guy that got them for us occasionally is gone in Love. We have guys to tackle the RB and TE. We need a guy that is lockdown in Man, and Ints the ball at a high rate.

I think people forget if the cornerback breaks up the pass or Ints it then he doesn't have to tackle anyone....

todge

Quote from: Philosophers on April 22, 2023, 08:49:53 PMMajority of scouts?  How did you poll the scouts of 32 teams?

Just read scouting reports that are readily available on the internet and watch the Draft shows on ESPN and the NFL Network. I was obviously not referring to the scouting departments for each department.

Forbes has great ball skills. But his build prevents teams who use press coverage from effectively utilizing him. He is best suited as a zone CB.

True Blue

Quote from: todge on April 22, 2023, 11:37:21 PMJust read scouting reports that are readily available on the internet and watch the Draft shows on ESPN and the NFL Network. I was obviously not referring to the scouting departments for each department.

Forbes has great ball skills. But his build prevents teams who use press coverage from effectively utilizing him. He is best suited as a zone CB.

While they make for fun reads In similar fashion to simulators being fun to toy with, it seems apparent every single year that all these reports are vastly different to the actual NFL teams and their grades

We'll see what happens.

DaveBrown74

I like Forbes a lot, but just a question:

Is there any precedent for a corner who was successful in the NFL with a combine or final official pre-draft weigh-in of 166 or lower?

4 Aces

The Giants just drafted Cordale Flott last year, who weighed 178 lbs. Obviously they aren't too concerned with the weight aspect at CB. It's about coverage ability.

Of course, Flott battled injuries as a rookie, missing half the season with a calf injury, then a concussion, then a hamstring. (Maybe they revised their thinking.)

True Blue

Quote from: 4 Aces on April 23, 2023, 08:59:07 AMThe Giants just drafted Cordale Flott last year, who weighed 178 lbs. Obviously they aren't too concerned with the weight aspect at CB. It's about coverage ability.

Of course, Flott battled injuries as a rookie, missing half the season with a calf injury, then a concussion, then a hamstring. (Maybe they revised their thinking.)

Fair to wonder, but we also had bigger players suffer the same type of soft tissue injuries, not sure if Flotts weight is the reason there.

Forbes is also a far superior player as well.

It will interesting to see how he does, I think teams are gonna regret passing

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 23, 2023, 07:55:48 AMI like Forbes a lot, but just a question:

Is there any precedent for a corner who was successful in the NFL with a combine or final official pre-draft weigh-in of 166 or lower?
That's not were he's at currently though Dave. He's 173-5lbs right now and will be closer to 180 than 175 by draft night so he's not far off. Also as I stated above Antoine Winfield Sr was 170lbs and a few inches shorter in 1999 when he was drafted.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2023, 10:55:42 AMThat's not were he's at currently though Dave. He's 173-5lbs right now and will be closer to 180 than 175 by draft night so he's not far off. Also as I stated above Antoine Winfield Sr was 170lbs and a few inches shorter in 1999 when he was drafted.

Great. I'm certainly high enough on the guy that I'd be fine if they drafted him 25th. I don't think it's realistic to think he'll fall to us in the second round. His tape pops of the screen.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 23, 2023, 11:32:32 AMGreat. I'm certainly high enough on the guy that I'd be fine if they drafted him 25th. I don't think it's realistic to think he'll fall to us in the second round. His tape pops of the screen.
I agree!

Philosophers

This weight issue is crazy.  NFL players all get bigger.  Look at Tyler Linderbaum, DeVonta Smith, wveryone.  Give me Forbes' skills.  He'll play outside.