News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are your hopes for the next three days?

Started by jgrangers2, April 27, 2023, 11:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

I'm not asking specific players, but what kind of things do you want the Giants to do? For me, while noting that BPA is pretty much always the way to go, there are a couple big things I want to see:

• A day 1 or 2 CB. This is a significant area of need as our CB depth is highly questionable. Flott showed some good ability last year but this is a position where depth is highly important. Even if they draft one in round 1, I wouldn't be against going to the position again if somebody slips into our picks in round 3 or 4. Thinking guys like Clark Phillips III, Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson or Kei'Trel Clark.
  • A day 3 running back. The depth at the position has been talked about a lot but there will be really good RB talent later in the draft. Thinking guys like Zach Evans, Kendre Miller and Dewayne McBride.
  • Don't force it with a Center. I said it in another thread, but I'd rather miss out on guys like Tippmann and JMS at 57 than reach for them at 25. Guys like Olu Oluwatimi, Jarrett Patterson and Ricky Stromberg are guys I'd potentially look at on day 3.

katkavage

Keep getting quality players who can add depth and contribute. Injuries gonna happen, so stock up as best you can.

Jolly Blue Giant

1) dominate corner
2) stretch receiver
3) dominate center for the next decade
4) talented MLB to compliment Okereke
5) add beef to both sides of the trench (including ER)
6) Puka Nacua (do it all receiver and ultimate special teams player)
7) speedy DB
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rambo89

Quote from: katkavage on April 27, 2023, 11:50:48 AMKeep getting quality players who can add depth and contribute. Injuries gonna happen, so stock up as best you can.

This.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 27, 2023, 11:12:21 AMI'm not asking specific players, but what kind of things do you want the Giants to do? For me, while noting that BPA is pretty much always the way to go, there are a couple big things I want to see:

• A day 1 or 2 CB. This is a significant area of need as our CB depth is highly questionable. Flott showed some good ability last year but this is a position where depth is highly important. Even if they draft one in round 1, I wouldn't be against going to the position again if somebody slips into our picks in round 3 or 4. Thinking guys like Clark Phillips III, Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson or Kei'Trel Clark.
  • A day 3 running back. The depth at the position has been talked about a lot but there will be really good RB talent later in the draft. Thinking guys like Zach Evans, Kendre Miller and Dewayne McBride.
  • Don't force it with a Center. I said it in another thread, but I'd rather miss out on guys like Tippmann and JMS at 57 than reach for them at 25. Guys like Olu Oluwatimi, Jarrett Patterson and Ricky Stromberg are guys I'd potentially look at on day 3.

Points #1 & #2 would be the Giants reaching, and shopping hungry with forced picks. This is exactly what I do not want them to do.

My hopes for the draft are simply to draft well, make smart moves/decision, and upgrade the roster and build depth as much as possible, regardless of position. Set us up for this year and towards the future.

Too many needs, weaknesses and depth issues to worry about anything specific, even spots that aren't "needs" are far from set

coggs

That I don't get a headache reading all the overanalyzing of the pick(s).  Not necessarily on here, just that annoying place called Internetland.

jgrangers2

Quote from: True Blue on April 27, 2023, 01:30:27 PMPoints #1 & #2 would be the Giants reaching, and shopping hungry with forced picks. This is exactly what I do not want them to do.

My hopes for the draft are simply to draft well, make smart moves/decision, and upgrade the roster and build depth as much as possible, regardless of position. Set us up for this year and towards the future.

Too many needs, weaknesses and depth issues to worry about anything specific, even spots that aren't "needs" are far from set

Sure and if you consistently have guys graded significantly higher than everyone else, draft them, but my guess is that will usually not be the case. That you'll generally have a few guys kind of grouped together. When that's the case, positional value should matter.

True Blue

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 27, 2023, 02:16:18 PMSure and if you consistently have guys graded significantly higher than everyone else, draft them, but my guess is that will usually not be the case. That you'll generally have a few guys kind of grouped together. When that's the case, positional value should matter.

It should, but to go into a draft, and to draft a position regardless of who is there (or not there), in general, also is often likely to backfire. Drafted a day 1 or 2 CB is nice in theory, but it may not make sense if anyone that would warrant that pick is already gone potentially, in that scenario I would not reach for a 4th or 5th round CB in round 2 for the sake of drafting a CB, I also believe Schoen will not do that either.