News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft Day Buzz

Started by Jclayton92, April 27, 2023, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Seeing a TON of smoke around Jahmyr Gibbs today for the Giants at 25.

On the defensive side I'm hearing a lot of Joey Porter to the Giants, who I've really soured on the past week and have as my 6th corner right now.

Also hearing a a ton about Saquan being moved this weekend after the last Schoen presser.

2 questions I have right now as we go into the draft.

What would you feel comfortable with in return for Barkley? A 3rd?

Secondly, how would you feel about the cornerback position, and secondary overall if we don't grab a corner or safety in the 1st 2 rounds.

I feel a lot more comfortable with skipping on Wrs than a corner and I would be really concerned about the secondary especially if we are penciling in the oft-injured Robinson at boundary #2 with Flott challenging.

jgrangers2

I started another thread saying that one thing that would really disappoint me is if we didn't get a CB in the top 3 rounds. I know that you can't really control how the draft breaks and if there ends up being nobody worth taking at either 25 or 57 then so be it. That said, I'd be disappointed if we passed on Forbes or Porter at 25. It's such a glaring area of need and we have so little depth there. Honestly, I wouldn't be against going CB in round 1 and then turning around and taking another in round 3 or 4. That's how important I think the position is.

PSUBeirut

The more I think about it the more I want a CB with our 1st pick.  I think we can get a good WR prospect in rounds 3 or 4 that would be more like icing on what I now consider to be a pretty decent set of receiving talents (including Waller and Barkley and looking at them all as a whole- with Campbell arriving and Wandale coming back into the fold).  I'd feel MUCH differently about the WR position if we hadn't found, truly, a diamond in the rough in Hodgins last year.

I'd be shocked if they moved Saquon for anything less than a 2nd rounder.  I don't think they'll move him at all.  The guy's a captain and a focal point of the offense.  He's not as easy to replace as many seem to think he is and he's now another year removed from major injury so should be even more effective (plus, the guy is still only 26 years old). 

If they reach for a center tonight, I won't like it but I won't hate it.  It may go against the convention, but if they feel they have identified a 10-yr starter that can call the signals on the line for years to come it makes sense to go get him.  If they take a TE, I would feel the same way- I'd trust their scouting and what they want to do with the offense. 

I'd also be happy with an edge rusher tonight.  But my #1 hope is for a topflight CB.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2023, 04:50:34 PMOn the defensive side I'm hearing a lot of Joey Porter to the Giants, who I've really soured on the past week and have as my 6th corner right now.

Lol. Mind in overdrive earlier today I've both soured on Porter jr but now love him again. I started over thinking about whether he fits systems other than Winks. Who cares?! Wink is here, he'll be 60 and likely his HC shot is gone. Besides, if he goes  next in line is his protege Drew Wilkins and we would block his departure so the system stays! Couple of beers and a kebab and I'm thinking clearly again before a quick sleep pre-draft!  =))

My eyes and research saw Porter jr as too good to be a realistic target at 25 but I named him as the lone guy not on my Giants target board I would trade up for. That still stands. CB3 and the top two are going top 10. If others worry themselves into passing him over, so be it. We'll take him as the true BPA!

As for the rumours of Gibbs and now Quentin Johnston, I congratulate our front office for the smoke they are sending.  LY they had people convinced we weren't taking Thibodeaux at all, let alone with our first 1st round pick. Uneasiness over scheme fit or preference for a different CB is this year's version of character worries :yes:

PSUBeirut

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 27, 2023, 05:32:55 PMLol. Mind in overdrive earlier today I've both soured on Porter jr but now love him again. I started over thinking about whether he fits systems other than Winks. Who cares?! Wink is here, he'll be 60 and likely his HC shot is gone. Besides, if he goes  next in line is his protege Drew Wilkins and we would block his departure so the system stays! Couple of beers and a kebab and I'm thinking clearly again before a quick sleep pre-draft!  =))

My eyes and research saw Porter jr as too good to be a realistic target at 25 but I named him as the lone guy not on my Giants target board I would trade up for. That still stands. CB3 and the top two are going top 10. If others worry themselves into passing him over, so be it. We'll take him as the true BPA!

I don't think Porter lasts to 25 and I'm not sure the Giants will trade up to grab him....but I do agree he's going to be a very good player.  I watched him from his start at PSU and what I saw was a very talented and AGGRESSIVE CB- he will be very good at disrupting in press and he could definitely be used more often as a blitzer in the NFL.  My only knock on him, honestly, was that he can play TOO aggressively at times (will get some PIs and holds).  He's BIG for a CB too- 6'2.5" with 4.46 speed....just can't teach that.  If he falls to 25 I can't imagine we don't pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2023, 04:50:34 PMSeeing a TON of smoke around Jahmyr Gibbs today for the Giants at 25.

On the defensive side I'm hearing a lot of Joey Porter to the Giants, who I've really soured on the past week and have as my 6th corner right now.

Also hearing a a ton about Saquan being moved this weekend after the last Schoen presser.

2 questions I have right now as we go into the draft.

What would you feel comfortable with in return for Barkley? A 3rd?

Secondly, how would you feel about the cornerback position, and secondary overall if we don't grab a corner or safety in the 1st 2 rounds.

I feel a lot more comfortable with skipping on Wrs than a corner and I would be really concerned about the secondary especially if we are penciling in the oft-injured Robinson at boundary #2 with Flott challenging.

SB hasn't signed his tag.  Can the Giants trade him without him signing it?  I don't believe they can.

MagicRat

I don't follow college ball (being an NFL fan in the UK involves keeping unsociable, Autumn/winter hours without factoring Saturdays in) but I'm firmly of the mindset that if any of the big four corners fall to us, we'll grab.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Jclayton92

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 27, 2023, 05:32:55 PMLol. Mind in overdrive earlier today I've both soured on Porter jr but now love him again. I started over thinking about whether he fits systems other than Winks. Who cares?! Wink is here, he'll be 60 and likely his HC shot is gone. Besides, if he goes  next in line is his protege Drew Wilkins and we would block his departure so the system stays! Couple of beers and a kebab and I'm thinking clearly again before a quick sleep pre-draft!  =))

As for the rumours of Gibbs and now Quentin Johnston, I congratulate our front office for the smoke they are sending.  LY they had people convinced we weren't taking Thibodeaux at all, let alone with our first 1st round pick. Uneasiness over scheme fit or preference for a different CB is this year's version of character worries :yes:
Thebgrab

I agree extremely Scheme specific. The lack of ball production last year even though he improved in man scares me along with his hips but he is the ideal man prospect. I guess I would just hope a switch flips when he gets to the NFL.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2023, 07:25:46 PMThebgrabI agree extremely Scheme specific. The lack of ball production last year even though he improved in man scares me along with his hips but he is the ideal man prospect. I guess I would just hope a switch flips when he gets to the NFL.

Schoen said he wont draft for a system as coaches leave and new systems are implemented.  He says he just wants players not scheme specific.

MightyGiants

Tony Pauline

The New York Giants at 25 will be an interesting team to watch. The team covets a cornerback, but the top-rated players at the position will be gone.

I'm told that there is a faction of people in the building who want a receiver, either Flowers or Jordan Addison. Historically, the team likes players out of Boston College. Yet, there is also a faction who believe the Giants need a pure No. 1 wideout, and while Flowers and Addison are good receivers, they would just be adding to the list of bodies the team has at the position and it would be a lot of redundancy. In other words, they do not view either player as true No. 1 receivers for their team.

New York likes cornerback DJ Turner out of Michigan and center John Michael Schmitz. But would they select either with the 25th pick?

If Darius Rush is available to them in Round 2, and they haven't taken a corner in the first round, I believe that is the direction they will go. A highly-rated defensive tackle or pass rusher could also be in the cards for the team at pick 25. Safety Brian Branch is a name that's also being thrown around.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-rumors-latest-on-jalen-carter-tyree-wilson-eagles-giants-more/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE