News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

McGinn's scouts ranking of the WR class

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2023, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The scouts' poll at wide receiver reflected uncertainty. The first-place votes were split four ways, and 12 players received at least one mention.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba led with five firsts and 57 points, followed by Quentin Johnston (53, seven), Jordan Addison (48, three), Zay Flowers (43, one), Jalin Hyatt (17), Josh Downs (seven), Xavier Hutchinson (four), Cedric Tillman (four), Jonathan Mingo (three), Michael Wilson (two), Jason Brownlee (one) and Marvin Mims (one).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Giants got the highest-rated (by the consensus) Day-Two WR in the draft.

He'll have his problems adjusting to NFL defenses but speed & willingness to run-block won't be among them.

They'll have to have special plays for him until he learns some stuff, but that's right up Kafka's alley IMO.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

todge

I think a viable question is why did Hyatt drop in the Draft. From what I read, he hasn't mastered a full route tree and isn't a complete WR yet. Right now he's a one trick pony but that trick is blazing speed. You can't teach that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on April 29, 2023, 10:15:25 AMI think a viable question is why did Hyatt drop in the Draft. From what I read, he hasn't mastered a full route tree and isn't a complete WR yet. Right now he's a one trick pony but that trick is blazing speed. You can't teach that

Looking at the film, he is already more than a "one trick" pony.  He has an extremely important and underrated talent for making QBs look great.   Hyatt has the elite ability to adjust to the ball and catch away from his body.  That translates into making mediocre throws look like kill shots.   Look at how many times AJ Brown turned a mediocre throw by Hurts into an ESPN highlight film
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: todge on April 29, 2023, 10:15:25 AMI think a viable question is why did Hyatt drop in the Draft. From what I read, he hasn't mastered a full route tree and isn't a complete WR yet. Right now he's a one trick pony but that trick is blazing speed. You can't teach that

I wouldn't call him a "one trick pony". Yeah, he's got blazing speed, and he's been able to simply leave CBs in a cloud of dust as they can't come close to keeping up when he turns on the after burners. That's one trick and that is a biggie! But he has great hands and doesn't catch the ball by trapping it on his chest, using only his hands...that too is a biggie, and a lot of receivers (even in the NFL) never learn to use "just their hands", regardless of how many times their coaches drive it home. I was watching the highlights of Cedric Tillman who was drafted immediately after we took Hyatt. Tillman caught every ball against his chest in the film clips. WRs who have a high drop rate are always criticized for not using their "hands only". He's also a very good run blocker when not the focus of the play. Also, he can be used as a decoy which takes the safeties out of their cover zone and opens the field for a run attack or freeing up others such as Waller and our crew of munchkin receivers in the slot. Lastly, he's very young and very coachable...and he apparently loves the Giants (or so it seems since he pointed out in that clip of him saying he wanted to go to the Giants), so he'll learn new tricks. Regardless - he was a major steal in the draft where we got him
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: