News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quietly I think the Giants saw a glaring need at CB

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2023, 09:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Last year Wink famously said, "You shouldn't get your CBs from Door Dash".   Last year the Giants let Bradbury walk without really adding a true replacement (unless you count underweight Flott the 3rd round draft pick they projected to slot as his replacement).   The Giants' defense quietly struggled last year.

To that end,

The Giants let Moreau (a frequent starter) walk

They added a potentially draftable free agent (before he hurt himself during draft prep) in Leonard Johnson

They added former Lions starter Amani Oruwariye

They drafted Deonte Banks in round one

They should get back injured Aaron Robinson

They really added quite a bit when you consider that Flott should be ready to be a starter this season.

EDIT TO ADD-  they also drafted  Tre Hawkins in round six and added Michigan CB Gemon Green in free agency

Signed- Adoree' Jackson, Cordale Flott, Rodarius Williams, Nick McCloud, Darnay Holmes, Zyon Gilbert, Leonard Johnson, Amani Oruwariye, Deonte Banks

Free Agent- Fabian Moreau,

Injured- Aaron Robinson (ACL/MCL)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

He may not amount to anything but they drafted that Tre Tucker guy also

True Blue

I wonder if Robinson and Holmes have any trade value. Even if it isn't much

Banks, Jackson, Flott will be on the team.

Oruwariye was a starter a year ago, McCloud is solid depth and they seem high on Johnson.

Throw in Tucker, Rodarius, Gilbert etc, they are only keeping 5-6 of these guys.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on April 30, 2023, 09:23:48 AMI wonder if Robinson and Holmes have any trade value. Even if it isn't much

Banks, Jackson, Flott will be on the team.

Oruwariye was a starter a year ago, McCloud is solid depth and they seem high on Johnson.

Throw in Tucker, Rodarius, Gilbert etc, they are only keeping 5-6 of these guys.

I don't know if Holmes will be traded, but he is in a similar situation to Slayton last season.  Playing time bonuses has pushed his cap hit for this season up to $2,940,972.  He is in the year of his rookie contract.  I think much like Slayton last season, Holmes is a long shot to make the team.  Of course, Slayton took a pay cut to stay, so...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

I never heard that quote from Wink. We've discussed many times which is the most important position on defense.

The vast majority do not agree with me that it's corner back, but I'm sticking to it.

With good "man" cover corners your defense can do so much more (and you have an extra guy to spy athletic QB's).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 30, 2023, 09:33:06 AMI never heard that quote from Wink. We've discussed many times which is the most important position on defense.

The vast majority do not agree with me that it's corner back, but I'm sticking to it.

With good "man" cover corners your defense can do so much more (and you have an extra guy to spy athletic QB's).

Bob

https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1529823615209701376
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2023, 09:31:21 AMHolmes is a long shot to make the team. Of course, Slayton took a pay cut to stay, so...
Rich: The fact that they now have "too many" pass coverage men is good news.

You know at least one of them is going to get hurt.

IMO, they'll keep all of them let them decide who stays and who plays during the preseason.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2023, 09:31:21 AMI don't know if Holmes will be traded, but he is in a similar situation to Slayton last season.  Playing time bonuses has pushed his cap hit for this season up to $2,940,972.  He is in the year of his rookie season.  I think much like Slayton last season, Holmes is a long shot to make the team.  Of course, Slayton took a pay cut to stay, so...
Good I'd much prefer Robinson or Flott in the slot to Holmes. Holmes just isn't athletic enough in the modern NFL and either gets burned or holds.

Painter

What was so quiet about it? That sure as hell wasn't evident in Wink's reaction to the move up to get him a guy like Banks. You don't think it was likely to nudged WR aside until they got lucky 2 Rounds later?

Is this stuff about CB, Edge, LB worth questioning whether passively or aggressively. Or is it a case of what else are we to do?

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on April 30, 2023, 10:32:57 AMWhat was so quiet about it? That sure as hell wasn't evident in Wink's reaction to the move up to get him a guy like Banks. You don't think it was likely to nudged WR aside until they got lucky 2 Rounds later?

Is this stuff about CB, Edge, LB worth questioning whether passively or aggressively. Or is it a case of what else are we to do?

Cheers!

Larry,

I busted my ass for 4 days to make this board the best draft experience for Giants fans.  Is this (and other posts complaining about various perceived grievances) really the best you can contribute?   The best way to keep this forum the home of the best informed Giants fan isn't through complaining about the posts of others, it's about contributing quality content
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2023, 10:47:02 AMLarry,

I busted my ass for 4 days to make this board the best draft experience for Giants fans.  Is this (and other posts complaining about various perceived grievances) really the best you can contribute?  The best way to keep this forum the home of the best informed Giants fan isn't through complaining about the posts of others, it's about contributing quality content

Rich, I don't say it enough, but thank you for all that you do for the board.  Both with starting a ton of threads throughout the year, as well as the tons of things you post during draft weekend.  I come to this board so much more than anywhere else because this has the best information and discussion, and you are a lot to do with that (as are all our other posters of course). You do this as a labor of love and, unlike the Blueshirt Banter site (for the Rangers) I like to go on which is now charging for content, this site is free and adds so much value.  So thank you for your part in that!

MightyGiants

One corner who I think might be best served by renting rather than owning his place is Rodarius Williams.  I think his time with NYG is coming to an end.  Too many of the additions seem like replacements
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2023, 10:47:02 AMLarry,

I busted my ass for 4 days to make this board the best draft experience for Giants fans.  Is this (and other posts complaining about various perceived grievances) really the best you can contribute?  The best way to keep this forum the home of the best informed Giants fan isn't through complaining about the posts of others, it's about contributing quality content

I would say that goal was a success. Through the entire week, those still here this time of year, for the most part have been able to engage and conversate civilly (spelling?) and constructively. Was a good draft for the forum  :ok:

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2023, 11:10:15 AMOne corner who I think might be best served by renting rather than owning his place is Rodarius Williams.  I think his time with NYG is coming to an end.  Too many of the additions seem like replacements

I have him dead last in this group of 9-10 guys

He will be 27 in only his third season, hasn't done much and is oft injured. With no ties to the regime especially, it would take an unmitigated disaster of injuries for him to stick. Maybe he can be on the PS

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on April 30, 2023, 11:12:16 AMI have him dead last in this group of 9-10 guys

He will be 27 in only his third season, hasn't done much and is oft injured. With no ties to the regime especially, it would take an unmitigated disaster of injuries for him to stick. Maybe he can be on the PS

Plus, as far as I can tell, he isn't a major ST contributer
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE