News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen on GMFB

Started by Jclayton92, May 04, 2023, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 04, 2023, 02:17:53 PMMike Tomlin hasn't won a SB since 2008 or 15 years. If Daboll can have that same success and prove he's the right HC, he may be able to avoid that. He's younger than TC and has many years left. I get your point though. If he can't put together consistency, these Owners have had little patience for losing and Kow-tow to the fan base. The last three HC's rein was 2 years. It would be interesting to see if Schoen would step in to support him.

Another long-tenured exception - Jeff Fisher
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 04, 2023, 06:26:46 PMAnother long-tenured exception - Jeff Fisher
Pete Carroll has 12 years running.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 04, 2023, 06:40:04 PMPete Carroll has 12 years running.

With a Super Bowl ring and a second Super Bowl appearance. I didn't say coaches don't last a long time. Obviously there are a small handful that do. Most franchises churn their head coaches every 3-5 years.

Shoelessjoe

The team of GM George Young and HC Bill Parcells was successful enough to win two Super Bowls however, they didn't get along well at all. In fact, Young almost fired Parcells in his first season as head coach and Parcells never forgot it. They were able to put it aside and provide winning football. You don't need to get along to win and make it to the HOF but it sure does help.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on May 04, 2023, 11:00:47 PMThe team of GM George Young and HC Bill Parcells was successful enough to win two Super Bowls however, they didn't get along well at all. In fact, Young almost fired Parcells in his first season as head coach and Parcells never forgot it. They were able to put it aside and provide winning football. You don't need to get along to win and make it to the HOF but it sure does help.

Frank,

That is an excellent point.  I think it highlights one of the things that I love about the NFL, there are many different paths to success.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: madbadger on May 04, 2023, 01:59:51 PMIt's nice when you're winning but if Daboll struggles down the road it could bite the franchise down the road. Hopefully he has a run like Bill Bleichek but he's the historical exception. Most coaches don't make it past five years without a ring.

My feeling since Schoen was hired as an outsider with no previous Giants connection and what he talked about that it was trying something different.  Whether or not it ends up working out long term has yet to be determined but at least it's not the same old outdated formula that led to just two winning seasons in just under a decade and the worst record in football over a five year period.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on May 04, 2023, 11:00:47 PMThe team of GM George Young and HC Bill Parcells was successful enough to win two Super Bowls however, they didn't get along well at all. In fact, Young almost fired Parcells in his first season as head coach and Parcells never forgot it. They were able to put it aside and provide winning football. You don't need to get along to win and make it to the HOF but it sure does help.
I can imagine if John Mara was the owner instead of Wellington, BP is gone and those two SB wins never happen.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin