News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants believe they got two impact CBs

Started by MightyGiants, May 08, 2023, 07:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I see Holmes as a camp cut or trade. We save money cutting him too. Especially with the playing time incentives that both him, love, and Slayton received as late round picks playing significant starting minutes.

Jolly Blue Giant

From Back Sports Page http://www.backsportspage.com/nfl-draft-profile-tre-hawkins/:

"Overall, Hawkins is your ideal built Cornerback for today's NFL. Listed at 6'3" 195 pounds that can run, and is not afraid of contact. Although Hawkins did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine, he put on a show at his Pro Day last week.

"Hawkins ran a 4.39 40-yard dash–which would've been top-10 at the combine. Managed to do 17 reps in the bench press, 6.74 in the 3-Cone Drill (both would've been 2nd at the Combine). Finally, a 37.5 inch vertical and a 4.22 in the 20-yard shuttle.

Hawkins is a very physical cornerback who works well press coverage, and can also adapt to other coverages like a cover 2 or cover 3. Tackling won't be an issue for Hawkins either so whatever team decides to take a chance on him knows exactly where to line him up.

The one downside, if you even want to call it a downside is the lack of production as far as interceptions. Hawkins only recorded two in two seasons at ODU, but his physicality makes up for it. Hawkins recently had a top 30 visit with the Indianapolis Colts so he is rising on the draft boards.
"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

True Blue

If we did, that would be huge. The traits are certainly there

zephirus

I'm really excited with the direction the Giants' secondary is taking.  I understand the direction the NFL is going relies more on takeaways and opportunistic stops than "don't let them gain a yard", but I seem to recall Aaron Ross and Corey Webster both enjoying long NFL careers despite neither being considered "ball hawks".  Heck, even Prince Amukamara played 9 years and never snagged more than 3 ints in a year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on May 09, 2023, 08:51:15 AMI'm really excited with the direction the Giants' secondary is taking.  I understand the direction the NFL is going relies more on takeaways and opportunistic stops than "don't let them gain a yard", but I seem to recall Aaron Ross and Corey Webster both enjoying long NFL careers despite neither being considered "ball hawks".  Heck, even Prince Amukamara played 9 years and never snagged more than 3 ints in a year.

It seems like Wink's defense is DB-heavy.   The Giants seemed to add quite a bit in terms of DBs this draft.  They lost two in Love and Moreau (and I guess Tony Jefferson and one might argue Landon Collins) but they added:

Bobby McCain S from the Commanders (former starter)
Amani Oruwariye CB from the Lions (one-time former starter)
Leonard Johnson- a draftable CB from Duke who suffered an ACL injury while training for the draft last year
Deonte Banks- first round highly rated CB
Tre Hawkins III- CB from Old Dominion (excellent run defender)
Gervarrius Owens- S from Houston with excellent coverage skills but needs to tackle better

Even the undrafted rookies have some potential

CB Gemon Green, Michigan, and S Alex Cook, Washington.

Edit to add- One other thing that is apparent with what Wink wants in his DBs-  LENGTH

Short guys need not apply

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE