News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wide Receiver Questions

Started by squibber, May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

If Darius Slayton regresses again in camp and the preseason due to dropping a lot of passes, would he get cut?

Can Hodgins still get open now that DC's may have studied his tape and will adjust accordingly.

Can Hyatt play the slot if Robinson is not ready at the beginning of the season?

What are the chances Shepard has similar quickness as he had 2 years ago?

Philosophers

I dont believe Sheppard and Robinson will be available to start the season.  I dont think their WRs will play only one position but instead will play all 3 positions to generate mismatches.

For game 1 I think Hyatt, Campbell and Hodgins may be the starters or possibly Slayton if he has a good camp and ia not dropping passes.

kartanoman

Start with the injuries, first. Will Robinson and Shepard be ready for training camp and, if so, will they be limited? What are the chances they are put on the PUP list, to start the season, and possibly get activated later on?

Let's assume one, or both, follow that scenario. The importance of Slayton, from the start, becomes even more important.

The offensive game plan includes Waller which adds a dynamic to the passing game the Giants haven't consistently had in a long time. The rookie RBs coming in also bring in good hands so I'm not seeing a WR-dominant game plan just yet. They'll have good balance from the wide outs, tight ends and running backs which are expected to be an improvement from last year's production.

Whether Slayton or Hodgins take the next step or not remains to be seen. That they worked in the off-season with Daniel Jones can only be seen as a good thing.

I think the x-factor to consider is what does Daboll and Kafka have cooking in the kitchen as far as new recipes for the new season. I expect to see differences in how they attack opposing defenses. As our new center gels with the rest of the line, I expect new chapters in the playbook to finally open up and we'll begin to see some exciting football. Then, we'll see if Slayton and Hodgens can be parts in that game plan.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: squibber on May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AMIf Darius Slayton regresses again in camp and the preseason due to dropping a lot of passes, would he get cut?

I think it's possible but less likely. The Giants don't have many pure outside receivers who have proven they're NFL material. He and Hodgins are the only ones. Shepard, Robinson, Hyatt, and Campbell are mostly slot. Obviously, some of those last four names can play on the outside, so Slayton is not guaranteed of anything, but none of them would be primarily considered outside guys.

Quote from: squibber on May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AMCan Hodgins still get open now that DC's may have studied his tape and will adjust accordingly.

I think it's totally reasonable to expect him to get more attention this year and for him to be a more studied player by opponents, but I still think he'll be effective. His size and his hands are big advantages. He was probably last year's Giant who impressed me the most in terms of expectations. I think he's a legitimately good player and should be productive again. He has the sorts of attributes that good NFL receivers with slow 40s have.

Quote from: squibber on May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AMCan Hyatt play the slot if Robinson is not ready at the beginning of the season?

Great question. My true answer is I don't know if he can right away early in the season, as he may need some experience and route running polish, but one thing is for sure: our GM has a very high opinion of him, and I would not presume to know more than Schoen, obviously.

Quote from: squibber on May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AMWhat are the chances Shepard has similar quickness as he had 2 years ago?

I am setting my expectations for Shepard at zero. Even in a best case scenario where he magically stays healthy for longer than normal, I just can't see him being hugely productive. 30 years old may not seem ancient, but he's taken a ton of hits and had a ton of injuries. I think he's at the end of the line and was brought back more for morale reasons than anything else.

bamagiantfan

There are certainly plenty of questions going into camp, but I would be shocked if Waller does not lead all pass-catchers in receptions.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bamagiantfan on May 12, 2023, 12:31:28 PMThere are certainly plenty of questions going into camp, but I would be shocked if Waller does not lead all pass-catchers in receptions.

I have to take from this statement that you will not be shocked if he plays significantly less than a full season due to injury.

While I am optimistic about what he can do for us if he stays healthy, I cannot agree with the above. I won't be "shocked" in any way if this guy ends up playing something like only 10 or 11 games for us, which will almost certainly mean he is not our receptions leader.

MightyGiants

Quote from: squibber on May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 AMIf Darius Slayton regresses again in camp and the preseason due to dropping a lot of passes, would he get cut?

Can Hodgins still get open now that DC's may have studied his tape and will adjust accordingly.

Can Hyatt play the slot if Robinson is not ready at the beginning of the season?

What are the chances Shepard has similar quickness as he had 2 years ago?

-Slayton's contract is set up to be two years.  If they cut him this season his salary cap hit increases by a half million.   So, it would take quite a bit for Slatyon to work his way off the roster.

-Teams may know Hodgins better, but there are so many other weapons that defenses will struggle to put much focus on him.

- Both Hyatt and Campbell have played the slot
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on May 12, 2023, 11:57:15 AMStart with the injuries, first. Will Robinson and Shepard be ready for training camp and, if so, will they be limited? What are the chances they are put on the PUP list, to start the season, and possibly get activated later on?

Let's assume one, or both, follow that scenario. The importance of Slayton, from the start, becomes even more important.

The offensive game plan includes Waller which adds a dynamic to the passing game the Giants haven't consistently had in a long time. The rookie RBs coming in also bring in good hands so I'm not seeing a WR-dominant game plan just yet. They'll have good balance from the wide outs, tight ends and running backs which are expected to be an improvement from last year's production.

Whether Slayton or Hodgins take the next step or not remains to be seen. That they worked in the off-season with Daniel Jones can only be seen as a good thing.

I think the x-factor to consider is what does Daboll and Kafka have cooking in the kitchen as far as new recipes for the new season. I expect to see differences in how they attack opposing defenses. As our new center gels with the rest of the line, I expect new chapters in the playbook to finally open up and we'll begin to see some exciting football. Then, we'll see if Slayton and Hodgens can be parts in that game plan.

Peace!

It's been reported both Shep and Robinson will start camp on PUP

It's unknown if either one will start the season on PUP
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

From everything I've read and heard from insiders Robinson is on track to play week 1. He's already off of crutches from what I've read and plus the ACL was a clean tear so those recoveries tend to take less time and have less of an impact longterm.

Slayton will start, as will Campbell, and Hodgins. Hyatt just isn't advanced enough running routes to start immediately. They didn't start Robinson last season, so expect them to use Hyatt but he will be slowly brought along with the offense.

BluesCruz

I cannot remember a more talented group of WRs (And I include Waller and Bellinger in that group) since I've been watching the team

Jones is not going to be hurting for open targets, if they stay healthy

now lets see if the Oline holds up and the running game is there

another area of concern is the punt game- kicking and receiving.  Ritchie James is gone and the The Hammer is somewhat eratic
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AZGiantFan

Quote from: BluesCruz on May 16, 2023, 12:54:23 AMI cannot remember a more talented group of WRs (And I include Waller and Bellinger in that group) since I've been watching the team

Jones is not going to be hurting for open targets, if they stay healthy

now lets see if the Oline holds up and the running game is there

another area of concern is the punt game- kicking and receiving.  Ritchie James is gone and the The Hammer is somewhat eratic

I disagree.  There is no way this group is more talented than Toomer, Smith, and Burress.  Nor Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham.  Every one of the latter 3 would be the #1 on this team, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 16, 2023, 03:13:28 AMI disagree.  There is no way this group is more talented than Toomer, Smith, and Burress.  Nor Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham.  Every one of the latter 3 would be the #1 on this team, IMO.

Totally agree.

This unit we have now (I'm including the TEs plus the return of a healthy Wan'Dale at some point) is clearly a material improvement over last year's unit, but IMO we are not close to the Nicks/Cruz/Manningham/Ballard unit we had in 2011. Cruz and Nicks are both much better than any WR we have on the team right now. That unit was one of the best WR units in football at the time.

No doubt we are heading in the right direction, and if Waller is actually healthy there's a chance it could be a really good unit, but we don't have anyone like Nicks or Cruz on the team right now. I also agree that we are well short of the Toomer/Burress/Smith/Boss unit.

Ed Vette

The top dogs going into camp will all be challenged. Starting on PUP will hurt a player's chances of breaking the starting lineup. Injury taken out of the equation, Slayton would be the number one Receiver on paper going in. Shepard and Hodgins would be the other Starters.

Slayton would have to take a serious step back and for either Hodgins or Campbell to have a great camp to be moved off the top spot. Robinson only began coming into his own as a starter mid season after injuries gave him opportunity. He's earned nothing yet. Campbell has to prove himself but I see him as a potential starter. Hyatt is going to be brought along slowly as Robinson and Toney were unless he has an OBJ type of camp, which I think he has the potential and just might shock a lot of naysayers.

Slayton, Shepard, Hodgins, Campbell, Robinson and Hyatt will be among the 53. The rest will only have a chance if injury holds back one or more of the others. Imo
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 16, 2023, 07:39:38 AMThe top dogs going into camp will all be challenged. Starting on PUP will hurt a player's chances of breaking the starting lineup. Injury taken out of the equation, Slayton would be the number one Receiver on paper going in. Shepard and Hodgins would be the other Starters.

Slayton would have to take a serious step back and for either Hodgins or Campbell to have a great camp to be moved off the top spot. Robinson only began coming into his own as a starter mid season after injuries gave him opportunity. He's earned nothing yet. Campbell has to prove himself but I see him as a potential starter. Hyatt is going to be brought along slowly as Robinson and Toney were unless he has an OBJ type of camp, which I think he has the potential and just might shock a lot of naysayers.

Slayton, Shepard, Hodgins, Campbell, Robinson and Hyatt will be among the 53. The rest will only have a chance if injury holds back one or more of the others. Imo

Ed,

Do you think it's possible the 53 could carry six WRs? Or do you feel that is a non-starter?

I am honestly not sure about this myself.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 07:52:10 AMEd,

Do you think it's possible the 53 could carry six WRs? Or do you feel that is a non-starter?

I am honestly not sure about this myself.

I think it's possible but predicated upon the situation of other positions. I think we may see three TEs and three RBs before we see 5 WR's. It's easier to hold them on the practice squad. The WR position is constantly ravaged by injury mostly related to Soft Tissue and a new field isn't going to dramatically fix that problem.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin