News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am reading a very enjoyable Giants book and I learned something about C. Mara

Started by MightyGiants, May 14, 2023, 08:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Former long-time Giants scout Steve Verderosa wrote a book called

SO YOU WANNA BE A SCOUT

He shares his stories and insights of having worked with the Giants.  I am about halfway through the book.   One thing I learned, which was rather surprising, was that Chris Mara was a major source of Giants leaks.  Steve shared stories of how Chris would just blurt out sensitive information to scout-level employees like:

Telling two scouts while at a restaurant in January 2004-  "Don't worry big boy Eli will be ours"

On the phone during 1996 season to Steve-  "don't worry if our season goes south, Jim Fassel will be our next head coach"

These were examples Steve used to illustrate the sort of intel Chris Mara provided out of the blue.

As for the book itself, if you're a longtime fan it's a very enjoyable read.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I have a couple of other things I learned.

Edge Bradley Chubb had nearly the same grade as Saquan Barkley and was the player they were deciding between.  Steve was not happy with Gettleman inventing "you expect to see a guy get a gold jacket" with the 2nd pick.   Steve felt the grades were close enough that Edge was a more valuable position, and there were plenty of good RBs in the class.

The Giants had a very high grade on Leonard Floyd.  The Bears most certainly snaked Jerry Reese and company when they traded in front of the Giants to take him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Wonder if Chris is leaking the Barkley contract negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 15, 2023, 08:15:43 AMWonder if Chris is leaking the Barkley contract negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully, Schoen has identified Chris as a weak link and taken appropriate measures
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE