News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does OL Improve?

Started by Philosophers, May 17, 2023, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

It's clear to me we upgraded our OL with JMS but that does not mean he struggles first year.  Does Guard play improve?  Does Neal make the year 2 leap we are all counting on?  Lastly, can the OL avoid the injury bug that typically wipes out 40%-60% of the starters?

Those questions are biggest in terms of for a unit IMHO?  If they regress or stay the same with a much harder schedule, Giants could be in for a world of hurt.

londonblue

They can improve and they will with one proviso, Andrew Thomas must stay fit. The drop off from him is incalculable.

Neal should be better & Phillips has something IMO so RT will be OK.

Schmitz will have rookie ups and downs but we need to live with that as early snaps will help at such a developmental position.

As for Guard, between Glowinski, McKethan, Bredeson, Lemieux, Anderson & Davis I think two league average starters will emerge with continuity and competition under Coach Johnson.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jclayton92

In terms of investment I really hope they improve because I personally would be furious if we invested another high draft pick in the line in the next 2 years. Yes, tackles are premium positions but people find quality guard and center play on the scrap pile often.

In terms of play, I was one of the few that thought we got quality play out of our line this past season when you consider:

A. Rookie RT
B. First time center
C. The staff's need to try to play Gates despite him not being better than Brederson or Feliciano
D. Injuries

This season there should be no problems as long as their healthy though I do feel bad for Glowinski as he constantly has to play between Rookies or a street FA. Glowinski and Brederson aren't all pros but Brederson had the most consistent play this past season outside Thomas and Glow did what he could playing between a rookie and a first time center. So I have no reason to think we won't be significantly better on the line with Neal in year two and an actual center. Just glad Gates is gone so they don't keep trying to force him in the lineup though I think that may be Lemeuix this season even though Ezeudu is clearly a better player.

MightyGiants

Obviously health trumps all

To break down
Thomas-  No reason Thomas can't continue to improve and refine his already Pro Bowl-caliber play

Right Guard-  One thing that struck me in the Bobby Johnson interview is he said that we haven't even seen all the players play.   That makes me think he might be high on McKethan or Wyatt.   Still, I would expect Ezeudu to be a solid starting guard (likely RG).

Center-  I think the extra time JMS spent in college will pay dividends in terms of shortening his learning curve

LG-  I have to think either Glowinski or one of the many prospects on the roster can handle this spot

RT-  I am expecting/hoping that Evan Neal improves.   Bobby Johnson speaks glowingly of Neal's work ethic, and hopefully, Neal's new, more compact stance will pay dividends in terms of getting off the ball quicker.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I truly believe they did not draft Ezedu and McKethan for depth but to be starters.  Eze was not 100% healthy and McKethan was almost 100% injured.  I think they need a huge camp to see how they develop and if both can become starters with Bredeson as backup utility player.

I agree with Jess.  They've invested heavily in their OL.  We cant invest more without hurting their other needs.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on May 17, 2023, 02:16:50 PMI truly believe they did not draft Ezedu and McKethan for depth but to be starters.  Eze was not 100% healthy and McKethan was almost 100% injured.  I think they need a huge camp to see how they develop and if both can become starters with Bredeson as backup utility player.

I agree with Jess.  They've invested heavily in their OL.  We cant invest more without hurting their other needs.

Paul Dottino mentioned on a recent pod that there was a report that said if Ezeudu had stayed another year in college and focused on just one line position he likely would have been a 2nd round draft pick
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2023, 02:21:48 PMPaul Dottino mentioned on a recent pod that there was a report that said if Ezeudu had stayed another year in college and focused on just one line position he likely would have been a 2nd round draft pick

Interesting Rich.  At a minimum we need one of them to really develop and become a darn good starter but I hope it's both.  Schoen seemed to see something interesting going on at unc for him to draft both from same school.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2023, 01:39:28 PMObviously health trumps all

To break down
Thomas-  No reason Thomas can't continue to improve and refine his already Pro Bowl-caliber play

Right Guard-  One thing that struck me in the Bobby Johnson interview is he said that we haven't even seen all the players play.   That makes me think he might be high on McKethan or Wyatt.   Still, I would expect Ezeudu to be a solid starting guard (likely RG).

Center-  I think the extra time JMS spent in college will pay dividends in terms of shortening his learning curve

LG-  I have to think either Glowinski or one of the many prospects on the roster can handle this spot

RT-  I am expecting/hoping that Evan Neal improves.   Bobby Johnson speaks glowingly of Neal's work ethic, and hopefully, Neal's new, more compact stance will pay dividends in terms of getting off the ball quicker.

Do you think they move Ez to RG? I thought he primarily played LG/LT in college. Or do you think EZ challenges Glow for RG with Brederson holding the left down lime last year?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 17, 2023, 02:45:04 PMDo you think they move Ez to RG? I thought he primarily played LG/LT in college. Or do you think EZ challenges Glow for RG with Brederson holding the left down lime last year?

Sorry, I mixed up the guard positions (I did not get a good night's sleep).   I see Ezeudu at LG and Glowinski as the guy to beat for RG
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

They should be better.  Even as a rookie, the center position is not exactly a high bar to reach and this guy by all measures seems about as ready to plug and play as you're ever gonna find.  So unless he's just terrible, I expect a pretty big upgrade there even as a rookie.

As mentioned Neal with a year of experience and an off season working on his issues SHOULD result in better play out of him too. 

If both those things happen the other stuff almost doesn't matter. Thomas will be Thomas and the guards will be the guards but if they have very good players on either side of them that is likely to make both of them better than they were last year. 

Painter

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 17, 2023, 02:45:04 PMDo you think they move Ez to RG? I thought he primarily played LG/LT in college. Or do you think EZ challenges Glow for RG with Brederson holding the left down lime last year?

I see no reason to flip Ezeudu from LG to RG and Glowinski vice versa. They have played and are expected to continue to play their current positions and not their mirror images. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bredeson starting at LG. And I do think we are more likely to see Lemeiux now as backup on the right side. Unless otherwise, which is quite possible, Bredeson will of course see back up duty at OC behind Schmitz.

Cheers!