News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Competition will be fierce for Position Battles

Started by Ed Vette, May 18, 2023, 07:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

What do you see as the positions of competition this summer? Who are the top competitors? 

The Center position may affect the LG Position if Bredeson has to begin the season at Center. If that's the case the Lemieux and Ezu battle at LG. I don't think either of them would beat out Bredeson at LG.

The backup RB position is in play but will the Giants keep 3 or 4 RBs? There may be a battle for that third spot.

Who is the starting outside Corner opposite Adoree Jackson?

Who is the other Starting Safety with McKinley?

The Rotational DT? Edge?

If the Giants only keep 5 WR's or 3 TE's, who are the ones on the bubble?

Who will be the second Off Ball LBr?

Seems to me that there will be battles for more than half the starting and rotational positions. For a team that made the playoffs last season, is that a high amount? Is it a sign of a team truly in rebuild? I think it's healthy to have so much competition, but eventually the team will need more stability and continuity. Seems like a pivotal season.     
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Great thread idea.

ILB2 is a big one. As both Skinner and Penick said on a recent podcast, there is no great solution there. Davis and Micah McFadden are probably the two that are in the running for day one, with Davis perhaps a small favorite. Obviously, we'd all love to see Beavers prove that his camp/preseason performance last year before the injury had real meaning and see him take over the spot and be good, but that's very far from being any sort of guarantee, plus we have seen how long it takes these guys to reach 100% effectiveness after an ACL. It can be more of a two year thing than a one year thing (as we saw with Barkley).

Backup RB is definitely one. I think they'll probably keep four, as both Barkley and Breida are injury-prone. I would think by mid-season if not sooner Gray has a good chance of taking over as the clear number two. But he will need to earn that, obviously.

I would be very surprised if Bredeson started at center for even just week one. I think JMS is a day one plug and play guy myself. I think he'll be the center with the ones throughout camp and the preseason and will just start right in there. Obviously I could be wrong but that is my view personally.

SS is tough. It's a bit like ILB2 (though not as bad). I think Pinnock will be the guy, but Owens is interesting. He could potentially supplant Pinnock at some point.

Rotational DT I have to think will be A'Shawn Robinson. They're paying non-immaterial money for him and he has had success in the past.

EDGE we're just screwed beyond the two starters. I guess the rotational edge is X-Man. Maybe he can put together a serviceable year in that role. It's not a great situation though. That to me is the one real need area we did not address. I don't think it was a failing on Schoen's part, but it's definitely a weak spot. Even if our starting two stay healthy, neither is a proven stud at this point, and both have injury histories (especially Azeez). Moreover you really need three good edge guys to have a truly dangerous pass rush.

Re receivers, to me the bubble guy should be Shepard but I guess he'll be on the PUP so it's not really an issue. I think they'll carry a minimum of 5 receivers. Crowder and Colin Johnson are bubble guys IMO. Ford-Wheaton is the longshot dark horse. Wouldn't totally shock me if he found a way to sneak on, but I think PS is the more likely outcome for him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 18, 2023, 08:01:44 AMGreat thread idea.

ILB2 is a big one. As both Skinner and Penick said on a recent podcast, there is no great solution there. Davis and Micah McFadden are probably the two that are in the running for day one, with Davis perhaps a small favorite. Obviously, we'd all love to see Beavers prove that his camp/preseason performance last year before the injury had real meaning and see him take over the spot and be good, but that's very far from being any sort of guarantee, plus we have seen how long it takes these guys to reach 100% effectiveness after an ACL. It can be more of a two year thing than a one year thing (as we saw with Barkley).

Backup RB is definitely one. I think they'll probably keep four, as both Barkley and Breida are injury-prone. I would think by mid-season if not sooner Gray has a good chance of taking over as the clear number two. But he will need to earn that, obviously.

I would be very surprised if Bredeson started at center for even just week one. I think JMS is a day one plug and play guy myself. I think he'll be the center with the ones throughout camp and the preseason and will just start right in there. Obviously I could be wrong but that is my view personally.

SS is tough. It's a bit like ILB2 (though not as bad). I think Pinnock will be the guy, but Owens is interesting. He could potentially supplant Pinnock at some point.

Rotational DT I have to think will be A'Shawn Robinson. They're paying non-immaterial money for him and he has had success in the past.

EDGE we're just screwed beyond the two starters. I guess the rotational edge is X-Man. Maybe he can put together a serviceable year in that role. It's not a great situation though. That to me is the one real need area we did not address. I don't think it was a failing on Schoen's part, but it's definitely a weak spot. Even if our starting two stay healthy, neither is a proven stud at this point, and both have injury histories (especially Azeez). Moreover you really need three good edge guys to have a truly dangerous pass rush.

Re receivers, to me the bubble guy should be Shepard but I guess he'll be on the PUP so it's not really an issue. I think they'll carry a minimum of 5 receivers. Crowder and Colin Johnson are bubble guys IMO. Ford-Wheaton is the longshot dark horse. Wouldn't totally shock me if he found a way to sneak on, but I think PS is the more likely outcome for him.

Good points. So you also think Bredeson will be the starting LG.

Last year Ward was the number three mix at OLB and was used situationally with Ximinez and it looks like that might be the case again.

I think Wink may take his chances with Banks at CB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

The position battles I see so far

I think Holmes and Robinson battle for starting Nickel

Banks, Flott, McCloud, Oruwariye, and Hawkins battle for number 2 corner and subsequently the #3 and #4 boundary spot.

At SS I think it's honestly between Owens and Pinnock after Beltons semi benching last season but we'll keep him in there as well as Troy Brown, and Leonard Johnson.

At 2nd ILB, I think Davis could be the place holder but could see Dyontae Johnson or Beavers takeover as camp finishes. The coaches had Beavers on track to start last season and really like Johnson.

At LG I think it's Brederson followed by EZ with Lemuix getting cut if Wyatt Davis flashes ANY potential.

At RB I think Brightwell is gone.

Wr is going to either be deep or some guys will get cut.

Trench

Wel I'm still hoping Sills gets a real chance to be a possession receiver

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 18, 2023, 09:43:25 AMGood points. So you also think Bredeson will be the starting LG.

Last year Ward was the number three mix at OLB and was used situationally with Ximinez and it looks like that might be the case again.

I think Wink may take his chances with Banks at CB.

My bad Ed - I stupidly totally forgot about Ward. He's def the three, although on passing downs they may use someone else like X-Man. Schoen actually mentioned Ellerson Smith in a press conference once in the past month or so, just reminding people that he's a guy they have. My expectations on Smith are extremely low but I guess above zero.

Yes to Bredeson at LG. I think Ezeudu has a chance to beat him out as the season goes on, but the Giants are under no pressure or time crunch there. Ezeudu will have to flat out beat him out (unless he gets hurt).

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on May 18, 2023, 12:07:27 PMWel I'm still hoping Sills gets a real chance to be a possession receiver

He's still part of the organization.

Personally, I thought he had as good an opportunity last year as a borderline receiver can get in this league, and it didn't quite happen for him. With a much deeper roster at that position this year, I think his chances are low.

Still, practice squad, and then with injury potential who knows.

Philosophers

If Bredeson looks good at Center and is say farther along than JMS, I wonder if they may give Guard reps to JMS to maybe get best talent on the field and to provide more positional support in case of injury.  JMS is going to be the starting Center.

These positional battles clearly show some of the holes at certain positions.  Next offseason we will be drafting for edge, DT, safety and ILB.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on May 18, 2023, 12:41:59 PMIf Bredeson looks good at Center and is say farther along than JMS, I wonder if they may give Guard reps to JMS to maybe get best talent on the field and to provide more positional support in case of injury.  JMS is going to be the starting Center.

These positional battles clearly show some of the holes at certain positions.  Next offseason we will be drafting for edge, DT, safety and ILB.

Phil,

I'd be surprised by this. Every scouting report I read said JMS is a center and a center only. I read that that was the really the only reason Tippman went before him in the draft (because he is more position-flexible). My understanding on JMS is that he's always going to be a center, and that's that.

With that said if they decide to try stuff in practice or even a preseason game, who knows, but I suspect they want a 2nd round pick playing to his natural position, especially when it's such a huge position of need. It's not like Bredeson is the second coming of Mike Webster at center.

Just my two cents.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 18, 2023, 12:53:07 PMPhil,

I'd be surprised by this. Every scouting report I read said JMS is a center and a center only. I read that that was the really the only reason Tippman went before him in the draft (because he is more position-flexible). My understanding on JMS is that he's always going to be a center, and that's that.

With that said if they decide to try stuff in practice or even a preseason game, who knows, but I suspect they want a 2nd round pick playing to his natural position, especially when it's such a huge position of need. It's not like Bredeson is the second coming of Mike Webster at center.

Just my two cents.

Dave - NFL coaches always do things that college coaches or scouts or pundits didn't do or see when it comes to a player.  It would not surprise me one bit.  Not saying it will happen but if it does I won't be surprised.

MightyGiants

Some of my thoughts:

Slot Corner-  this battle should be wide open.  I think the Giants would love to be able to cut Holmes or make him a backup, as he is a liability.

Guard-  I think this is another wide-open competition with Bellinger, Wyatt, Ezeudu, McKethen, and Glowinski all having a chance to win the starting jobs.

Safety-  I think McKinney can play either free or strong, giving the Giants the flexibility to put the next best safety on the field.  Like @Jclayton92, I wouldn't discount rookie 7th-rounder Owens winning the job. Still, he will be facing stiff competition from McCain (likely free), Pinnock (likely free), Belton (either), and Owens (Strong).  It's going to be one of the best competitions in camp, in my opinion.

ILB- Seeing the battle between Beavers and Jarad Davis should be fun.  I think Micah McFadden is the long shot.

Edge Depth-  If Elerson Smith stays healthy, there could be a battle for the 4 (maybe 5th) spot behind Ward with X-man, Smith, Fox, and Baldonodo duking it out.

Wide Receiver-  The team has a ton of bodies (although Robinson and Shep will start camp on PUP).  Still, it will be a wide-open competition for starting and backup jobs between Hodgins, Slayton, Campbell, and Hyatt.  If Collin Johnson returns healthy, he could increase the competition, as could Shep and Robinson if they get off of PUP during camp (unknown at this time).  Of course, you have undrafted rookie free agent Ford-Wheton to make things interesting

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 18, 2023, 01:33:56 PMSome of my thoughts:

Slot Corner-  this battle should be wide open.  I think the Giants would love to be able to cut Holmes or make him a backup, as he is a liability.

Guard-  I think this is another wide-open competition with Bellinger, Wyatt, Ezeudu, McKethen, and Glowinski all having a chance to win the starting jobs.

Safety-  I think McKinney can play either free or strong, giving the Giants the flexibility to put the next best safety on the field.  Like @Jclayton92, I wouldn't discount rookie 7th-rounder Owens winning the job. Still, he will be facing stiff competition from McCain (likely free), Pinnock (likely free), Belton (either), and Owens (Strong).  It's going to be one of the best competitions in camp, in my opinion.

ILB- Seeing the battle between Beavers and Jarad Davis should be fun.  I think Micah McFadden is the long shot.

Edge Depth-  If Elerson Smith stays healthy, there could be a battle for the 4 (maybe 5th) spot behind Ward with X-man, Smith, Fox, and Baldonodo duking it out.

Wide Receiver-  The team has a ton of bodies (although Robinson and Shep will start camp on PUP).  Still, it will be a wide-open competition for starting and backup jobs between Hodgins, Slayton, Campbell, and Hyatt.  If Collin Johnson returns healthy, he could increase the competition, as could Shep and Robinson if they get off of PUP during camp (unknown at this time).  Of course, you have undrafted rookie free agent Ford-Wheton to make things interesting

I think the question with Smith is where do they play him? Camp last year he was DE and OLB reps if I remember correctly.

Philosophers

Who makes the final WR spots will be the most interesting battle to me.  Got to think the "firm" three are Robinson (drafted high, showed some promise and injured so need to vet out more), Parris Campbell (signed for a reason) and Jalin Hyatt (they seem to really like him).  After that, I think everyone else is in play to get cut potentially.  Will be a fierce battle for remaing spots.  BFW may be a long shot, but if he makes final five, I think he may become an eventual starter as that will have a been a long way to climb in only one camp from UDFA to final 53.

Ed Vette

What will be the most used Defensive front? They may start out with three DT's and two Edge on First Down but then mostly, Ojulari, Lawrence, Williams and Thibs in a four man Front. I don't see those players leaving the field except for rest or Short Yardage situations.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on May 18, 2023, 02:16:31 PMWho makes the final WR spots will be the most interesting battle to me.  Got to think the "firm" three are Robinson (drafted high, showed some promise and injured so need to vet out more), Parris Campbell (signed for a reason) and Jalin Hyatt (they seem to really like him).  After that, I think everyone else is in play to get cut potentially.  Will be a fierce battle for remaing spots.  BFW may be a long shot, but if he makes final five, I think he may become an eventual starter as that will have a been a long way to climb in only one camp from UDFA to final 53.
If that's the case with Hodgins and Slayton, they should just trade Slay who can bring in a decent draft pick or a player of need before he loses any value. I would be surprised because I see him as the top dog this spring.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin