News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is the biggest challenge the Giants face?

Started by Ed Vette, June 27, 2023, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

I believe there's an article out there on this.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

To me, I see their biggest challenge as the ability to block out noise. If they start well and read their press clippings, it could derail them. Likewise, if they start rough and listen to their detractors, it could get in their heads and make it difficult to recover.

They have to have a solid, singular locker room voice and let that be all they listen to. They're a young team and I feel like the outside voices can easily sway them either direction.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

I think it's the secondary. New shiny toys on offense, additional linemen, defensive front pieces, and then we have the secondary. We have camp battles at 3 of the 5 secondary spots, so I'm not sure how it could be anything but the secondary and depth behind the starters in the secondary.

MightyGiants

I think the biggest challenge may be keeping this team relatively healthy.   There are quite a few players (often key players) with significant injury history

Daniel Jones
Saquon Barkley
Darren Waller
Adoree Jackson
Paris Campbell
Sterling Shepard
Azeez Ojulari
Oshane Ximines
Aaron Robinson
Jamison Crowder
Even LT Andrew Thomas has had quite a few injuries

The Giants also have areas of the team that can ill afford to lose players.

ILB
Edge
OT

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Agree that keeping players healthy for a full season is challenging and man I hope they succeed here  #:-S

I also think that getting the offensive line to work as a single unit, getting five guys thinking exactly the same (including those coming in off the bench) is extremely challenging. All offensive linemen who make it to the NFL are big, strong, smart, athletic, etc. Getting them to understand their role and staying in that role, while thinking about the other four guys - all in a blurry scene of "bang-bang" chaos, unfolding in three or four seconds, against incredible attack schemes is really challenging
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 27, 2023, 11:01:39 AMAgree that keeping players healthy for a full season is challenging and man I hope they succeed here  #:-S

I also think that getting the offensive line to work as a single unit, getting five guys thinking exactly the same (including those coming in off the bench) is extremely challenging. All offensive linemen who make it to the NFL are big, strong, smart, athletic, etc. Getting them to understand their role and staying in that role, while thinking about the other four guys - all in a blurry scene of "bang-bang" chaos, unfolding in three or four seconds, against incredible attack schemes is really challenging

Last year that gelling of the O-line was made more difficult by the constant roster changes.   It was rare for the Giants to have the same 5 starters two weeks in a row.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on June 27, 2023, 10:37:03 AMTo me, I see their biggest challenge as the ability to block out noise. If they start well and read their press clippings, it could derail them. Likewise, if they start rough and listen to their detractors, it could get in their heads and make it difficult to recover.

They have to have a solid, singular locker room voice and let that be all they listen to. They're a young team and I feel like the outside voices can easily sway them either direction.
As Brian @bighitterdalama pointed out, last year's version only won 3 of their last 9 regular season games. They had enough momentum from the first half to make the playoffs. If they start off poorly after going into the season with higher expectations, facing adversity so early could, in fact, derail them. They start off with 6 tough games and a 4-day rest sandwiched in there. Five of the six teams were clearly better last year and those will be tough games. Last year the breaks fell their way more often than not. If they lose 4 of 6 it will be interesting to see how Daboll handles it. They came out and surprised the league last year. This year there will be no surprises.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Integrating all the new oieces especially on offense along with improved OL play.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 27, 2023, 10:50:24 AMI think the biggest challenge may be keeping this team relatively healthy.  There are quite a few players (often key players) with significant injury history

Daniel Jones
Saquon Barkley
Darren Waller
Adoree Jackson
Paris Campbell
Sterling Shepard
Azeez Ojulari
Oshane Ximines
Aaron Robinson
Jamison Crowder
Even LT Andrew Thomas has had quite a few injuries

The Giants also have areas of the team that can ill afford to lose players.

ILB
Edge
OT

Would it be a safe bet that 2-3 of those players miss games this season? I think so. It then comes down to the combinations and the timing. As JC @Jclayton92  pointed out, the Secondary is suspect. Lose Adoree early and before that unit is established in combination with Azeez and they get torched. If Thomas goes down and Neal has not yet turned his game around or if Jones goes down, this becomes a different Offense. The odd thing about the Jones/Tyrod combination is that they are two different types of QB that require different blocking schemes and Play Calling. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on June 27, 2023, 12:47:04 PMIntegrating all the new oieces especially on offense along with improved OL play.

They need an entirely new Game Plan Approach with different Plays designed for these new Receivers. The consensus is that Schmitt is a plug and play but there will most likely be growing pains and if Neal doesn't step up to the hype or if LG and Center start out with EZU and Bredeson, and injury forces a change, that can be a real challenge. DD, Suebert, O'Hara, Snee and MCK may not have been the best players at their positions but they played well together through continuity until Richie went down with that catastrophic injury.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

I'd say managing health in areas where we lack depth. OT, CB, and EDGE are the big ones, and all are premium positions. QB too but that's obvious. Injuries happen, but injuries to starters at any of these positions would really hurt.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 27, 2023, 01:04:14 PMI'd say managing health in areas where we lack depth. OT, CB, and EDGE are the big ones, and all are premium positions. QB too but that's obvious. Injuries happen, but injuries to starters at any of these positions would really hurt.
Maybe that's why Schoen concentrated on building the Depth in FA and later in the Draft. It's too young a team to expect next man up without degradation. These players have to step up. If Dex goes down, he can't possibly be replaced near to what they lose.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Despite seriously improving their depth, the Giants are still "shallow" at several positions.

They're not as susceptible to disaster as in 2022, but still too vulnerable over all to be considered a seriously solid 53-man roster.

I'll say this (which is probably controversial)... if you guaranteed me no injuries whatsoever to all 32 teams in the league this year, I'd say the Giants can contend for a championship now. This does not mean every player on every roster should be thought of as resistant to the passage of time (aging). Players are what they are, but with each passing year after reaching a certain age skills fade (generally). I make note of that because I think the Giants have a "youth" advantage that would allow them to seriously contend even against older teams that seemingly have superior personnel. By the way, I'm including in my estimation what I perceive to be a head-coaching advantage which IMO we enjoy over the majority of the other 31 teams.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 27, 2023, 02:58:28 PMDespite seriously improving their depth, the Giants are still "shallow" at several positions.

They're not as susceptible to disaster as in 2022, but still too vulnerable over all to be considered a seriously solid 53-man roster.

I'll say this (which is probably controversial)... if you guaranteed me no injuries whatsoever to all 32 teams in the league this year, I'd say the Giants can contend for a championship this year. This does not mean every player on every roster should be thought of as resistant to the passage of time (aging). Players are what they are, but with each passing year after reaching a certain age skills fade (generally). I make note of that because I think the Giants have a "youth" advantage that would allow them to seriously contend even against older teams that seemingly have superior personnel. By the way, I'm including in my estimation what I perceive to be a head-coaching advantage which IMO we enjoy over the majority of the other 31 teams.

Bob
Bob, can you pick five players on their second season who can compete for a starting role? Pay particular attention to the Bs and Ms.

https://www.giants.com/team/players-roster/
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: T200 on June 27, 2023, 10:37:03 AMTo me, I see their biggest challenge as the ability to block out noise. If they start well and read their press clippings, it could derail them. Likewise, if they start rough and listen to their detractors, it could get in their heads and make it difficult to recover.

Aside from every year's challenge to not lose key players to injury, that's an interesting and perhaps overlooked insight, Tim. Still, when it comes to biggest challenge, I have to see it as how well Daniel Jones does in establishing himself as a worthy, big game winning- capable QB going forward. Or to put it another, we should no longer have to think of him as a "challenge"

Cheers!