News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What will be the Giants areas of Improvement and Regression?

Started by Ed Vette, June 28, 2023, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Also which will be their biggest gain or loss.

Special Teams
Field Position
Punt Return
Kickoff Return
Kicking Points

Passing Yards
Passing TD's
Rushing yards
Rushing TD's

Receptions Yards-TDs
WR
TE
RB

Pass Protection
Run Blocking

Run Defense
Pass Defense
Interceptions
Sacks

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Special Teams
Field Position +
Punt Return +
Kickoff Return -
Kicking Points -

Passing Yards +
Passing TD's +
Rushing yards -
Rushing TD's -

Receptions Yards-TDs
WR +
TE +
RB -

Pass Protection +
Run Blocking +

Run Defense +
Pass Defense +
Interceptions +
Sacks +

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Bob In PA

Ed: You have a penchant for asking really tough questions. 

I don't come here to think, just to goof off.  =))

Seriously, it will take a while to find enough time to construct an answer.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I try to avoid the rose-colored glasses syndrome by trying to look at the negative.

Here are the areas of potential regression-

1)  QB-  there is the challenge of creating more explosion and production.  The risk is that turnovers exceed the increased return.    So the risk is that the downside of more turnovers exceeds the increased production

2)  RB-  Expecting another injury-free season from Barkley seems like a bit of a longshot

Other than those two, I don't see a lot of scenarios (with a reasonable chance of happening) where the team regresses in a given aspect

On the potential upside

O-line-  A year together, three rookies are 2nd-year players, and JMS seems like he will be an upgrade at center

QB-  Better protection, plus better targets, plus more confidence, plus more experience in system = better results

WR-  Seems like there is more to work with than what the team had starting off last season

TE- potential for big improvements with Waller and year 2 Bellinger

CB-  Banks and some of the younger players should upgrade this position

DT-  proper depth should really boost this unit

ILB-  One proper ILB (and potential for a second) is better than none (which describes last season

So you could see a big boost in the passing game, run defense, and to a lesser degree the pass defense

STs might see a boost as the day 3 players the Giants added seem to have good ST potential
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 29, 2023, 11:25:30 AMI try to avoid the rose-colored glasses syndrome by trying to look at the negative.

Here are the areas of potential regression-

1)  QB-  there is the challenge of creating more explosion and production.  The risk is that turnovers exceed the increased return.    So the risk is that the downside of more turnovers exceeds the increased production

2)  RB-  Expecting another injury-free season from Barkley seems like a bit of a longshot

Other than those two, I don't see a lot of scenarios (with a reasonable chance of happening) where the team regresses in a given aspect

On the potential upside

O-line-  A year together, three rookies are 2nd-year players, and JMS seems like he will be an upgrade at center

QB-  Better protection, plus better targets, plus more confidence, plus more experience in system = better results

WR-  Seems like there is more to work with than what the team had starting off last season

TE- potential for big improvements with Waller and year 2 Bellinger

CB-  Banks and some of the younger players should upgrade this position

DT-  proper depth should really boost this unit

ILB-  One proper ILB (and potential for a second) is better than none (which describes last season

So you could see a big boost in the passing game, run defense, and to a lesser degree the pass defense

STs might see a boost as the day 3 players the Giants added seem to have good ST potential

Very well summed up and on point. I don't disagree with any of it really.

While I don't really see much of a jump in actual record this year due to scheduling and luck mean reversion, I don't really see a single area on the team that I think will visibly regress from last year. I feel like most or all units should be at least the same if not better or significantly better.

Painter

The questions are perfectly reasonable to ask in general but much too specific in number and scope, indeed granularity to, with all due respect, capture my interest. Rather than go all or nothing, I guess I'll just have to cop a plea and say:

I see improved talent on both sides of the ball compared to last season's 10 win playoff team. On that basis, even with what is being viewed as a "tougher" schedule, I see no reason to doubt that an increase in ability in what were obvious areas of weakness will also increase the team's capability to repeat.

I do include Daniel Jones on the plus side along with an assumption that Saquon will be a full participant. As for player's health and durability, even with a new playing surface, there is no point in guessing.

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Specials: Field Position better, Punt Returns & Kickoff Returns no change, Kicking points should go down.

Passing Yards & Passing TD's better, Rushing yards stays the same, Rushing TD's better.

Receptions Yards: for TDs better, for WR's stays the same, for TE's goes up, and for RB's should go down.

Pass Protection: Run Blocking & Run Defense better, Pass Defense stays the same, INT's and sacks better.

IMO we'll win 1 more regular season game & depending on the opponent could win the next one too.

Bob

PS. This all assumes no significant injuries to key players, of course.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

beaugestus

As for most of posts like these, I have a tendency to have to temper my enthusiasm and hope for the best. The injury bugaboo that has plagued us for years along with a lack of overall talent is becoming less and less after 2 good drafts and FA acquisitions. So, I will cross my fingers and have to wait and see.