News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CBS 2023 Head Coach Rankings

Started by Ed Vette, July 03, 2023, 08:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Ed: I don't know whether or not you're expecting general outrage, but IMO it's about right.

One year does not make a great head coach.  Daboll is well aware of that, IMO.

In any event, my way of putting it is... Daboll is a good coach who has a chance at greatness.  The next step in that direction is to not lose the momentum and cachey he established last season.  If so, then the odds go up a wee bit by next year at this time... unless, of course, he does something "crazy" like winning or getting to the Super Bowl this season.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 03, 2023, 09:17:08 AMEd: I don't know whether or not you're expecting general outrage, but IMO it's about right.

In any event, my way of putting it is... Daboll is a good coach who has a chance at greatness.  The next step in that direction is to not lose the momentum and cachey he established last season.  If so, then the odds go up a wee bit by next year at this time... unless, of course, he does something "crazy" like winning or getting to the Super Bowl this season.

Bob
No homer outrage. Just putting it out there. I agree with the Jag's HC placement. I think Harbaugh was too high and Campbell a bit low. I think Daboll was about right. I don't think Reid can be argued with.

What do you think about the other NFC East HCs?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 03, 2023, 08:22:11 AMhttps://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-remains-no-1-as-disciples-doug-pederson-john-harbaugh-crack-top-10/?

A few thoughts:

(1) I assume this list is saying what they think of these coaches right now, here, today, with their resume to this point or at least prior to the 2022 season basically being irrelevant. Otherwise I don't know what planet you have to be from to put Shannahan ahead of Belichick.

(2) I used to be a big fan of Mike Vrabel, but I have begun to think of him as a little bit overrated in recent seasons. Yes, he has done a solid job overall including multiple playoff appearances and an appearance in an AFC championship game. But I just have a tough time rating a coach who champions such an old fashioned style that highly. He is all about run/run/pass/punt, and while I think he is very good at getting his team to play for him and knows a lot about the game, I'm not sure his approach is ever going to yield a memorable result.

(3) Going back to point number one, if the past doesn't matter in these rankings, why is Pederson ahead of Daboll by 5 spots? I mean they had similar seasons but Pederson needed a play-in game to get to the postseason in the worst division in the league, and then he lost. Daboll on the other hand won a road playoff game. If Pederson's higher ranking is because of his work in Philly, then again, why is Belichick behind Shannahan or even Reid for that matter?

(4) I am in the camp that Matt LaFleur is too high on this list. I have never been overly impressed with him. I mean with Rodgers in his prime any coach is going to look good. Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl there. I have seen LaFleur make some very questionable in-game decisions and he also doesn't seem to be resilient during times of adversity. I'd say he's average at the very best.

(5) Frank Reich 16th? Why? What has he done of note?

(6) Dan Campbell feels a bit low on this list. How many times in our lifetimes have the Lions had a winning record?

(7) I know 23rd isn't a high ranking, but I think it's too high for Brandon Staley. To me he is a bottom three coach. To have never made the playoffs once with Herbert is totally unacceptable, and I don't want to hear any excuses. With 3 wildcards in each conference now, making the playoffs isn't that hard. This is a QB league and he has one of the best. I would have him no higher than 28th or 29th. I'm actually surprised he wasn't fired in this offseason.

(8) Saleh's ranking is fair. This season is huge for him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 03, 2023, 09:17:08 AMEd: I don't know whether or not you're expecting general outrage, but IMO it's about right.

In any event, my way of putting it is... Daboll is a good coach who has a chance at greatness.  The next step in that direction is to not lose the momentum and cache he established last season.  If so, then the odds go up a wee bit by next year at this time... unless, of course, he does something "crazy" like winning or getting to the Super Bowl this season.

Bob

Great post Bob. Agree with all.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 03, 2023, 09:23:31 AMWhat do you think about the other NFC East HCs?
Eagles - too high; EYE could win with that team!!!  And so could you.
Cowboys - about right, maybe should be a bit higher.  McCarthy was a huge part of Aaron Rodgers HOF career, IMO.
Commanches - a bit too low - he's got to "overcome" the owner/management team, which is far less than optimal.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

I know, I know, I know, all we are doing is filling space and marking time and so it will surprise no one that I would suggest that I don't give a rodent's rear about rankings/ratings of anyone/anything by anyone/anything.

I must say, however, that aside from the incongruity evident in a list which includes Brian Daboll, HC for one year, alongside the likes of Bill Belichick or Andy Reid who have been doing it for longer than the current Century without notable success UNTIL they happened upon a GOAT, and an apparent GOATEE. And thereafter? Make of it what we will, there are as many angles to pursue than in the average polygon. Average polygon??? :D

Cheers!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 03, 2023, 04:00:24 PMhttps://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1675951459903365125
He reinvented himself with the Chiefs. Before that, albeit he had extraordinary personal circumstances but he was not a good game manager. His Mahomes is the new Brady. That said, he's the best in the 2020 decade for sure... so far.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 03, 2023, 04:35:50 PMHe reinvented himself with the Chiefs. Before that, albeit he had extraordinary personal circumstances but he was not a good game manager. His Mahomes is the new Brady. That said, he's the best in the 2020 decade for sure... so far.

Spot on. That is exactly what was thought, of and said of Andy Reid's long tenure in Philly (13 years?). Hard to believe but this will be his 12th year with the Chiefs where he is now thought of as a Lombardi-winner which doesn't just wipe away previous weakness but replaces it with the aura reserved for multiple Lombardis with perhaps a chance of more to come.

Cheers!

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 03, 2023, 04:00:24 PMhttps://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1675951459903365125

It goes, without saying, that Reid has been the most successful head coach coming out of the Bill Walsh coaching tree. But to get to best ever, dare we suggest he's leapfrogged over "The Genius," himself, by now?

I'd be willing to suggest he's very close, but not quite yet past the legendary Bill Walsh.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)