News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Evolution of the Giants Offense with the Development of Daniel Jones

Started by Ed Vette, July 12, 2023, 09:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Assuming that Saquon Barkley plays this season and with the addition of Waller, Hyatt and Campbell, along with Robinson and Slayton, the Giants have the makings of a very exciting Offensive Attack. The key to all of this is Daniel Jones.

In his second season with this Offense and Coaches, it's time for him to pick up where he left off at the end of last season. Hopefully he did a lot of film work and study to absorb the next level of plays that Daboll and Kafka gave him.

They are prime for inserting a No Huddle, Spread Offense, where there is motion to create mismatches and for Daniel Jones to recognize them pre-snap. He should also be at the stage to move players pre-snap and to have the freedom to change from Pass to Run and Run to Pass. It's a step up from the Read Options he's been executing.

Knowing when to No-Huddle and when to slow the game up will be Daboll's communication with Kafka and DJ has to be on the same page. They need to dictate the rhythm of the game.

I would expect Routes at three levels and I expect him to recognize how his intended first read works his man at the top of the route.

I expect to see  Barkley much more involved in the passing game along with Grey's development and having a role in this Offense.

I expect to see multiple variations of personnel packages.

Quick decisions, exploiting the Defensive coverage. This is also a tangible asset for the Offensive Line, when the Defense is on their heels. That's why continuity is key and deciding pre-camp who their Dogs are. They know what they've got. Time to move forward and replace the intended starter only if the he fails or is injured. The men they choose need to be able to Zone and Gap Block in combinations and that means they need to know what the man next to them is doing and execute.

This Camp is going to be very interesting.

Your thoughts?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Greg Cossell does a really good job discussing this issue in the video that I posted in this thread.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=66768.0

Some of Greg's points:

1)  Daboll ran a more extensive offense in Buffalo (with more intermediate and vertical elements) than he ran with the Giants (Greg said he doesn't know exactly why this was the case).

2) He expects Jones to make another big step this season (because he hears from his many sources how smart and hard-working DJ is). He expects to see a more extensive offense this season with more of what was missing from Daboll's system.

3) He expects, at some point, the offense will shift from running through Barkley (Greg says from his film study he doesn't see Barkley as a "sustainer) to running through Daniel Jones.   He said this is likely because Daboll understands that to win in this league the offense needs to run through your QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Winning in the NFL is about creating mismatches. Whatever it takes to do that.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2023, 11:13:23 AMGreg Cossell does a really good job discussing this issue in the video that I posted in this thread.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=66768.0

Some of Greg's points:

1)  Daboll ran a more extensive offense in Buffalo (with more intermediate and vertical elements) than he ran with the Giants (Greg said he doesn't know exactly why this was the case).

2) He expects Jones to make another big step this season (because he hears from his many sources how smart and hard-working DJ is). He expects to see a more extensive offense this season with more of what was missing from Daboll's system.

3) He expects, at some point, the offense will shift from running through Barkley (Greg says from his film study he doesn't see Barkley as a "sustainer) to running through Daniel Jones.   He said this is likely because Daboll understands that to win in this league the offense needs to run through your QB.
I didn't see the video. Did he talk about no huddle spread?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

I would add that I hope he has watched the Eagles playoff game over and over because his body language was vastly different in that environment and is something he needs to improve upon if he is to be wildly successful

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2023, 12:21:33 PMI didn't see the video. Did he talk about no huddle spread?

No, Greg spoke mostly on observation.  As John and I said, Greg is very careful to speak on what he can directly observe from the film study.  So closest he came to this topic was he talked about Waller.  Greg said he talked to a lot of offensive coaches and the Combine and how it's so valuable to have a TE who can line up as the X receiver or the lone WR on the other side of 3 WR bunch (the implication being Waller is more than capable of doing those things).

He mentioned that Evan Neal struggled with his vertical pass sets, which could have been an issue for an offense.  He said OCs love sending five guys out in patterns and hate losing one to help their tackles. I guess this also relates to the spread as you need OTs who can handle the rush without assistance. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE