News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

One Thing You Want To See With Giants

Started by Philosophers, July 25, 2023, 08:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I want to see a more vertical offense and much less of 4 yard throws and hope he runs for 5 more.  A downfield strategy is the best way to loosen up a D.  Can they do it?

Sem

On offense I want to see more 2nd and short. You can use so much more of your playbook when you're not in 2nd and 8 or more. Put their defense on their heels.

On defense I'd like to see more stops on 3rd down. The past few seasons it seems like far too many drives by opponents have been lengthened because the defense couldn't make the crucial stop on third down and get off the field.

DaveBrown74

We are not a good team in today's NFL until we successfully take far more shots downfield, simple as that. Can they do it this year? With guys like Campbell, Hyatt, and to some extent Waller added into the mix, Jones has a huge influx of additional weapons. Robinson is also capable of getting deep. The options are there. It's down to Jones and the willingness/trust of Daboll/Kafka to call those kinds of plays with him. Will they do it? They better, otherwise why did we give Jones this contract? A Trubisky/Minshew type can easily run the passing offense we had last year at a fraction of the cost. I think they will definitely try. Hopefully it works and we have a transformational year for our passing offense.

WheresDayne

I want to see Saquan continue to improve his blocking, our TE's be able to both catch and block and for Evan Neal to take it to the next level.  My theme should be obvious, improve our blocking, it opens up everything on offense and buys crucial extra time for DJ.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 25, 2023, 10:06:11 PMWe are not a good team in today's NFL until we successfully take far more shots downfield, simple as that. Can they do it this year? With guys like Campbell, Hyatt, and to some extent Waller added into the mix, Jones has a huge influx of additional weapons. Robinson is also capable of getting deep. The options are there. It's down to Jones and the willingness/trust of Daboll/Kafka to call those kinds of plays with him. Will they do it? They better, otherwise why did we give Jones this contract? A Trubisky/Minshew type can easily run the passing offense we had last year at a fraction of the cost. I think they will definitely try. Hopefully it works and we have a transformational year for our passing offense.

I agree, but I would also add it's up to the O-line as well.   They need to hold up long enough to allow those receivers to get down field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

No injuries on the offensive line.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Flipper

More TD's when in the red zone.

Rambo89

In general I want to see a more productive passing offense.  They can't expect to go any where consistently if they are going to continue to be a bottom third passing offense. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

President Rick

another angle:  the D giving up fewer points. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on July 26, 2023, 09:36:43 AMIn general I want to see a more productive passing offense.  They can't expect to go any where consistently if they are going to continue to be a bottom third passing offense. 

Agreed, and that won't happen if we remain dink and dunk throwing 6 yard passes all the time, even if there is a high completion rate and not many turnovers. If that's your approach, your ceiling is to be a mediocre at best passing offense.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Flipper on July 26, 2023, 09:29:16 AMMore TD's when in the red zone.

Improvement is always good but it is worth noting that they were actually very good at this last year - 5th best in the league.  And 10th best in Red zone defense, FWIW.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll