News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: Gettting ridiculous - in a good way

Started by AZGiantFan, July 27, 2023, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Double header, Angels v Tigers

Game 1:  Shohei throws a one hit shut-out, his first complete game shut-out

Game 2:  Shohei hits 2 HRs to stretch his major league leading total to 38
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on July 27, 2023, 07:24:41 PMDouble header, Angels v Tigers

Game 1:  Shohei throws a one hit shut-out, his first complete game shut-out

Game 2:  Shohei hits 2 HRs to stretch his major league leading total to 38
It's wild they were wanting to trade him. Saw somewhere his hitting and pitching are on par with Ruth's first some odd games

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 27, 2023, 07:55:59 PMIt's wild they were wanting to trade him. Saw somewhere his hitting and pitching are on par with Ruth's first some odd games

A fair assessment, but jumping the gun a little here. Ruth played for 22 seasons, hit 714 home runs, batted .342, had over 2800 hits and more than 2200 RBIs. As a pitcher, he was 94–46. He held the World Series record for consecutive shutout innings that wasn't broken until 1961. He gave up pitching because he was too valuable as a hitter. Shohei has 20 more seasons to go before the two can be rightly compared. Who knows, maybe he'll outdo the Babe. I'm 70 and don't take good care of myself so I might miss the followup debate on this subject in a couple of decades
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 27, 2023, 08:12:04 PMA fair assessment, but jumping the gun a little here. Ruth played for 22 seasons, hit 714 home runs, batted .342, had over 2800 hits and more than 2200 RBIs. As a pitcher, he was 94–46. He held the World Series record for consecutive shutout innings that wasn't broken until 1961. He gave up pitching because he was too valuable as a hitter. Shohei has 20 more seasons to go before the two can be rightly compared. Who knows, maybe he'll outdo the Babe. I'm 70 and don't take good care of myself so I might miss the followup debate on this subject in a couple of decades
I know I was referring to the stats being passed around this week.

Babe Ruth: 159 home runs in his first 674 career games / W-L 35-18 in his first 455.0 career innings pitched.

- Shohei Ohtani: 160 home runs in his first 674 career games / W-L 35-19 in his first 455.0 IP career innings pitched.

He has a long way to go but they are solid stats to this point.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 27, 2023, 08:43:52 PMI know I was referring to the stats being passed around this week.

Babe Ruth: 159 home runs in his first 674 career games / W-L 35-18 in his first 455.0 career innings pitched.

- Shohei Ohtani: 160 home runs in his first 674 career games / W-L 35-19 in his first 455.0 IP career innings pitched.

He has a long way to go but they are solid stats to this point.

Without black baseball players and a greater pool of players playing during MLB early days I simply take early stats from that era less seriously.  This kid Ohtani is something else at this stage of his career.