News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Looking at Darrian Beavers. How GOOD can he be?

Started by brownelvis54, July 27, 2023, 09:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Wondering who our starting ILBs will be. Bobby skinner said Beavers was getting reps with the 1st stringers. As of now Beavers is one of our starting ILBs? He said after the first day of training camp 'He's hungry'and happy getting Giants second chance after devastating knee injury. What's your thoughts on him?

"When I'm out there, the knee is the last thing on my mind," Beavers said after the first practice of training camp. "It's more about knowing what I'm supposed to do — knowing the calls, knowing my alignment, other things like that. My knee, I didn't even notice. There's so much more I have to focus on."

https://nypost.com/2023/07/26/darrian-beavers-gets-giants-second-chance-after-knee-injury/

and

Beavers knows last season was a missed opportunity. Dealing with the injury, which he referred to as "catastrophic," was harder than dealing with considering what might have been.

Beavers worked out all spring in East Rutherford and said he did not think about how his knee would react while practicing on Wednesday.

"I want to be the best at everything."
"When I'm out there, the knee is the last thing on my mind," Beavers said. "When I'm out there. It's more about knowing what I'm supposed to do out there. Knowing the call, knowing my alignment, other things like that. My knee, I was just telling them out there [ap. practice]. I didn't even notice it to be honest. There's so much more that I have to focus on when I'm out there. I can't be focusing on my knee."

Beavers' main competition for a starting job is Micah McFadden, another second-year player. The path to playing time became clearer when veteran linebacker Jarrad Davis was lost before camp began to a season-ending torn ACL.

"It sucks man. That's the same thing that happened, almost the same thing, that happened to me last year," Beavers said. "Just a snap, one play I was just gone. So, it sucks. We were training here for the whole offseason. I know how much time and effort he put in. For me it was just more sad than anything."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/giants-lb-darrian-beavers-gets-second-chance-to-earn-key-role-on-defense/ar-AA1eqNDc

The KING is in the building

B1GBLUE

Who knows. i dont put stock in these guys until i see it on the field. its far more likely he winds up out of the league in 2 years. not trying to be negative, but its the reality of it. most guys dont make it. he hasnt done anything yet that screams good player in this league.

Ed Vette

Excellent topic to keep an eye on. I don't know how someone could rate the thread a one star.

I'm excited that Beavers is back and competing for that second spot. Going into last year after the draft it looked like McFadden and Beavers were the future. McFadden struggled. Dabs and Wink must like Beavers to start him out with the first string after missing his rookie season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

I'm cautiously optimistic. Coming back from a year off with a major injury - he's essentially a rookie. It would be huge though if he could come in and be productive.

Time will tell.

True Blue

This staff had some absolute bums on both sides of the ball looking good, while the top talent had some breakouts.

He shows signs before the injury and they clearly like him, so I am cautiously optimistic about this kid. If they like him, there is clearly something there to them. Can't be any worse than Smith or rookie McFadden.

Leek21

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 28, 2023, 08:37:02 AMExcellent topic to keep an eye on. I don't know how someone could rate the thread a one star.

I'm excited that Beavers is back and competing for that second spot. Going into last year after the draft it looked like McFadden and Beavers were the future. McFadden struggled. Dabs and Wink must like Beavers to start him out with the first string after missing his rookie season.

I agree, it's definitely a position to watch, and unless Beavers or McFadden really step up it might be the weakest position on the team.

brownelvis54

Quote from: B1GBLUE on July 28, 2023, 08:02:15 AMWho knows. i dont put stock in these guys until i see it on the field. its far more likely he winds up out of the league in 2 years. not trying to be negative, but its the reality of it. most guys dont make it. he hasnt done anything yet that screams good player in this league.
To be fair, he was injured very early in his rookie season. IMO the ILB position is our weak position heading into the season. Hopefully we find a gem in our current roster...

pre draft

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Darrian-Beavers-LB-Cincinnati
The KING is in the building

uconnjack8

This is one of the most interesting spots to watch on the team given that going in to training camp there was no clear favorite to win the role (at least among fans).

Last year the coaching staff seemed to have a good feel for what role suits players best. Beavers must show something Martindale and others think fits that spot well. Hopefully this will answer a big question mark.

Dgoodmantrublu

Wink loves him. So that is good enough for me.