News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Slayton worked on his hand placement during the offseason

Started by MightyGiants, July 29, 2023, 08:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

"The reality is that you're going to drop the ball sooner or later," he said Wednesday after the Giants' first training camp practice. "Steph Curry misses shots. Jerry Rice dropped the ball. But you've got to eliminate as much as you can. If you've ever seen somebody miss a ball and it goes straight through their hands, it's because your hands are too wide — and at whatever point you're going to the ball, you didn't keep your hands close [together] enough to stop the ball.

"If you just have a tighter hand track, you could never drop the ball with it going through your hands. Now, the only way you drop it is if it bangs off your palms or if you mistime things. But you eliminate one way to make a mistake. I think I've grown in that area, and I think it'll show. The tighter you can keep your hands as they're on their way to the ball, when they get to the ball, it'll be there."

To hone this technique, Slayton used two hands — placed tightly together — to catch tennis balls that Lieberman threw him.

"A lot people you see catch tennis balls with one [hand]," Slayton said. "But if you catch a tennis ball with two hands, it's impossible to catch if your hand are any type of wide. They have to be overly close."

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/07/how-giants-darius-slayton-used-tennis-to-stop-dropping-so-many-passes.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

This is good
Also the more you train your hands
The better you will be able to catch

Ed Vette

Closed Loop training. Being mindful of each step in the process, from tracking the ball, to hand placement, to watching the ball into the hands to securing the ball before running. Then it transitions into Open Loop. This process is important in many sports, including Baseball, Archery, Firearm target practice...

https://spencerroloff.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/closed-loop-vs-open-loop-how-to-program/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin