News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am beginning to think this team could be something special

Started by MightyGiants, July 29, 2023, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have to go back to the early Parcells years when I have seen so many players drastically change (hopefully for the better) in the offseason.  You have Bellinger and Neal turning fat into muscle.  You have Jones coming in drastically better than last year.   You have the addition of an extremely exciting weapon in Waller.   

While admittedly, Banks has struggled early, many of the rookies have flashed. 

Yeah, the Giants have a tough schedule, but teams may end up being more concerned about facing the Giants.

That last thought reminded me of this scene from the movie "The Watchman" (a bit violent) where the vigilante Rorschach gets locked up in prison and the prisoners think they are going to feast on him.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I like the optimism.

I'll say this: IF you end up being right, we should have a pretty good idea of this after the first six games. If they are 4-2 or better after week six, you may be onto something.

Ed Vette

1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2012, 2017, 2021...

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me 12 times...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on July 29, 2023, 09:37:44 AMGotta win vs Dallas to set the tone

Agreed.

Obviously, there is no such thing as a "must win" week one game, but the difference between the Giants coming out and taking care of business at home against a hated rival that has owned them in recent years versus going out and getting clearly outplayed and losing with the whole nation watching is huge. While it won't dictate the outcome of the season, it will absolutely be a tone setter.

Jclayton92

To have any run these 7 guys have to progress and stay healthy.

1. Banks
2. Neal
3. Thibs
4. Beavers
5. Whoever starts next to Mckinney
6. Flott
7. Ojulari

Jclayton92

Also makes us not resigning Moreau a little uneasy after Banks rough start. I'd rather have him at 1 million than Ximines.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 29, 2023, 12:00:25 PMTo have any run these 7 guys have to progress and stay healthy.

1. Banks
2. Neal
3. Thibs
4. Beavers
6. Flott
7. Ojulari

Agreed and I would also say that the offense will need to open up the passing game, and Jones will need to be dramatically more productive as a passer. They won't be anything special if he passes for 3500 yards and 21 TDs.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 29, 2023, 12:00:25 PMTo have any run these 7 guys have to progress and stay healthy.

1. Banks
2. Neal
3. Thibs
4. Beavers
6. Flott
7. Ojulari

Jess - if Banks is slower to develop but Hawkins develops faster this camp, that may offset.  Of course a 1st round pick needs to step up but just saying maybe Hawkins helps is there.

DaveBrown74

I am prepared to accept a full season of growing pains from Banks. Corners have a very steep learning curve entering the league, and even the ones who go in the top 10 and are first off the board at the position often struggle as rookies. Guys like Sauce Gardner are rare. What I'd like to see with Banks is demonstrable improvement over the course of 2023, but I am expecting plenty of rookie mistakes and missteps from him. It may take a year or two for him to his stride in this league.

Giant Obsession

I have no idea how this years team will do

BUT

I feel in my gut, my heart, and my history reflecting head that this will prove to be a springbord season for what proves to be a healthy, strong run for the next 5 - 7 years.

And with Schoen and Daboll driving the bus I see the continued success much like the Steelers have enjoyed.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 29, 2023, 10:27:39 AMAgreed.

Obviously, there is no such thing as a "must win" week one game, but the difference between the Giants coming out and taking care of business at home against a hated rival that has owned them in recent years versus going out and getting clearly outplayed and losing with the whole nation watching is huge. While it won't dictate the outcome of the season, it will absolutely be a tone setter.
By my analysis, the Giants will have to ho 3-3 in the division.  I don't see beating the Eagles unless something crazy happens.  Dallas at home with them moving on from their OC that had our number is doable as is beating Wash twice. 

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on July 29, 2023, 12:57:22 PMJess - if Banks is slower to develop but Hawkins develops faster this camp, that may offset.  Of course a 1st round pick needs to step up but just saying maybe Hawkins helps is there.
Not sure if this is happening but I could see Hawkins doing better against scrubs than Banks vs the starters

andrew_nyGiants

If we make a serious run at the division, finish in 2nd, finish over .500 in the division and win at least one playoff game.

I'll consider this a season headed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MagicRat

I think we will be something special, but I think we're another two or three years away from hitting the heights we all want (January relevance).
This year......continued development.
If the stars align this season......who knows.

But if not, it's coming.....
Smell my cheese you mother!