News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am beginning to think this team could be something special

Started by MightyGiants, July 29, 2023, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on July 29, 2023, 01:32:23 PMIf we make a serious run at the division, finish in 2nd, finish over .500 in the division and win at least one playoff game.

I'll consider this a season headed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes.  Those are good targets.

Ed Vette

Just last month the prognosis was the Giants had a tough schedule and would take a step back this season.

I think this is as least a 10 win team, maybe more. Of course I've been fooled before. The difference is that Daboll isn't a poser and Schoen may wind up being the best GM this team has ever had.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 29, 2023, 03:48:23 PMJust last month the prognosis was the Giants had a tough schedule and would take a step back this season.

I think this is as least a 10 win team, maybe more. Of course I've been fooled before. The difference is that Daboll isn't a poser and Schoen may wind up being the best GM this team has ever had.

I still do think the W/L record might not be as nice as last year but we can see where this team is headed and there is actual NFL caliber talent on it for the first time in a while.  They're in great shape with the cap, even next year, and I think with one more offseason Schoen will have this team ready to be a significant threat to the division title or more.  Don't see it this year...but I'd be thrilled to be wrong about that.  And admittedly, stranger things have happened.

Painter

I share the optimism. There is no doubt in my mind that the current roster is notably more talented than last year's and will continue to be better coached.

Whether that means they will again win 9 regular season and a PO games is by no means certain. At this point, it does seem to be a more challenging schedule and one must always consider the two misses; mistakes, and misfortune.

In any event, however, proof of life will require at least one win against the Cows and the Ugglies, that is no more 1-5, 2-4 in the NFCE.

Vamanos Gigantes!

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 29, 2023, 03:58:38 PMI still do think the W/L record might not be as nice as last year but we can see where this team is headed and there is actual NFL caliber talent on it for the first time in a while.  They're in great shape with the cap, even next year, and I think with one more offseason Schoen will have this team ready to be a significant threat to the division title or more.  Don't see it this year...but I'd be thrilled to be wrong about that.  And admittedly, stranger things have happened.
How second and third year players progress is one key. Another is the rookie pool contribution. Last season Thibs showed some breakout. This year we look to Hyatt and company.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

I love the optimism. Sports is more fun with optimism. I think we'll be back in the playoffs, but be a true contender next season.

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 29, 2023, 08:14:30 AMI have to go back to the early Parcells years when I have seen so many players drastically change (hopefully for the better) in the offseason.  You have Bellinger and Neal turning fat into muscle.  You have Jones coming in drastically better than last year.   You have the addition of an extremely exciting weapon in Waller.   

While admittedly, Banks has struggled early, many of the rookies have flashed. 

Yeah, the Giants have a tough schedule, but teams may end up being more concerned about facing the Giants.

That last thought reminded me of this scene from the movie "The Watchman" (a bit violent) where the vigilante Rorschach gets locked up in prison and the prisoners think they are going to feast on him.

Trench

I think one of the biggest keys besides staying healthy will be Thibs taking a big dominant step forward

Dgoodmantrublu

I agree that Kayvon's development is key. I think it is gonna happen. His pass rush win rate was tops among rookies and it really took him until game 5 to get going as he was coming back from the knee injuruy.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on July 29, 2023, 04:39:40 PMI agree that Kayvon's development is key. I think it is gonna happen. His pass rush win rate was tops among rookies and it really took him until game 5 to get going as he was coming back from the knee injuruy.

I heard good things during the offseason.  Put in a lot of work to make himself better.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 29, 2023, 10:27:39 AMAgreed.

Obviously, there is no such thing as a "must win" week one game, but the difference between the Giants coming out and taking care of business at home against a hated rival that has owned them in recent years versus going out and getting clearly outplayed and losing with the whole nation watching is huge. While it won't dictate the outcome of the season, it will absolutely be a tone setter.

I was thinking of starting a thread about this very thing.  It's been on my mind since the schedule came out: Dallas, Week One is a MUST WIN!

I know, I know, all 17 games are equally important....but as Dave points out, this one goes beyond the W/L record.  Tone setter is absolutely right. 

And the W/L is huge, too.  At some point, we have to beat somebody in our division besides Washington!  I doubt we can go 0-4 against Dallas & Philly again and expect to make the playoffs.  Best chance to get off that schneid is against Dallas, opening night, whole world watching. 

I'm reminded of a similar situation, back in 1984.  Second game if the season, home opener, against Dallas.  Giants were coming off a 3-12 season, Parcells' first year.  They were up and coming but we didn't know it yet.  Dallas was coming off a 12-4 season.  I can't find the point spread but suffice it to say, we were underdogs. Dallas had manhandled us twice the year before and probably a bunch of years before that.....but on this day, they were invited to out coming out party.  I still remember the euphoria sweeping through the stadium as we realized that a new day had dawned. I'm looking for a repeat September 10, 39 years and one day later! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-CEMM7WR0 

MightyGiants

I think I undersold or buried one of my key points.  I think this team's level of professionalism took a big jump this offseason.  I think the new Giants culture under Schoen and Daboll has the players doing what it takes to succeed in the NFL. I haven't seen that sort of mindset since the prime Coughlin year and the Parcells era.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2023, 09:22:50 AMI think I undersold or buried one of my key points.  I think this team's level of professionalism took a big jump this offseason.  I think the new Giants culture under Schoen and Daboll has the players doing what it takes to succeed in the NFL. I haven't seen that sort of mindset since the prime Coughlin year and the Parcells era.

I think you're 100% right and it's a good pickup