News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Catches from Daniel Jones in 11 on 11 team drills through 9 practices

Started by MightyGiants, August 06, 2023, 11:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

That's it from Hyatt? With all the hype you'd think he was having a camp for the ages.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 06, 2023, 12:49:42 PMThat's it from Hyatt? With all the hype you'd think he was having a camp for the ages.

Hyatt has been working with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 06, 2023, 12:51:29 PMHyatt has been working with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string

Gotcha. In any event it seems like he's done enough to warrant snaps with the 1s in preseason play. I hope that happens.

Trench

Big question is - how much if any should Jones play in preseason based on what we have seen in camp.

Last year I wanted him to play every game to evaluate him. But now he is cemented as our QB and I think I'd rather not see him play too much

Bigmoose

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 06, 2023, 11:49:05 AMhttps://twitter.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1688209245047578624

Question:  Some have expressed concern about Hodgins camp performance yet I think 8 catches noted above is a better than average amount.  Why this perception? 

Dgoodmantrublu

I bet it is because Hodgins isn't flashy. He just makes all the plays he's asked. He's underrated because he's slow. He reminds me a lot of late career Amani Toomer.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 06, 2023, 03:10:00 PMI bet it is because Hodgins isn't flashy. He just makes all the plays he's asked. He's underrated because he's slow. He reminds me a lot of late career Amani Toomer.

I am completely confused by the sentiment expressed by many on this board re: Hodgins.

So many posts about how he's having a poor camp and that his snaps / role are in jeopardy.

Even if he was having a poor camp, I'm certain his performance last year in actual games - when he was DJ's most reliable and productive WR - far outweighs a week-long performance in half pads moving at less than full speed.

And based on the number of catches, seems like both the coaching staff and DJ don't share the sentiment. They're dialing up plays for him and DJ continues to trust him. Hodgins will be the #2 behind Waller unless Campbell can stay healthy all year and they find an instant connection with deep balls all year.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think there is a chance that by the end of the year, Slayton is the 4th WR. I know he's had a good camp, but if the drops return and Hyatt progresses I could see it happening.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 06, 2023, 04:20:26 PMI am completely confused by the sentiment expressed by many on this board re: Hodgins.

So many posts about how he's having a poor camp and that his snaps / role are in jeopardy.

Even if he was having a poor camp, I'm certain his performance last year in actual games - when he was DJ's most reliable and productive WR - far outweighs a week-long performance in half pads moving at less than full speed.

And based on the number of catches, seems like both the coaching staff and DJ don't share the sentiment. They're dialing up plays for him and DJ continues to trust him. Hodgins will be the #2 behind Waller unless Campbell can stay healthy all year and they find an instant connection with deep balls all year.

Looking at last year, it may just be that Hodgins was the big fish in a little pond of receivers.  Half the guys on that catch list weren't here last year.  And there is no way of telling how many of each guys' catches were with the 1s, 2s, and 3s. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 06, 2023, 04:29:36 PMI think there is a chance that by the end of the year, Slayton is the 4th WR. I know he's had a good camp, but if the drops return and Hyatt progresses I could see it happening.

Slayton worked hard at fixing his drop problem.  He worked on it by catching tennis balls with both hands (normally you'd catch a tennis ball ball with one hand).  The theory is that catching them with 2 hands forces you to keep your hands close together, so when you go to catch a football it can't go through your hands. 

Will it work?  I don't know, but the though of having 2 sure-handed receivers with blazing speed on the outside, with more blazing speed in the slot and one of the fastest tight ends in the league is a very exciting prospect.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Dgoodmantrublu

Slayton seems like a good and hard worker. But I'll believe the drop issues are fixed when I see it.

GMenRF

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 06, 2023, 04:29:36 PMI think there is a chance that by the end of the year, Slayton is the 4th WR. I know he's had a good camp, but if the drops return and Hyatt progresses I could see it happening.

Doubt it.  Like what Bobby pointed out, the one aside from Sheppard that has good rapport and chemistry with DJ is Slayton.  His speed along with the other playmakers will create headaches for DCs.

Waller, Slayton, Campbell along with Hyatt sill be taught to defend vertically and horizontally on defense.

Plus the threat of Saquon and DJ's running ability, good luck for defenses trying to keep a defender on all those guys.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 06, 2023, 04:20:26 PMI am completely confused by the sentiment expressed by many on this board re: Hodgins.

Hodgins excels against Zone Defenses and finding a way to get open. He's a tall Receiver that will line up in the Red Zone. I don't recall him getting many second string snaps. He was on the field a lot with DJ. They wouldn't do that if he wasn't going to be important to this Offense. If Waller goes down, I see Hodgins getting some of those targets before Cager.

His speed, ability to cut clean routes and to catch deep over the shoulder passes were not the best in camp.

He will have his role and the takeaway isn't how many catches but the fact that DJ spread the ball around and has a very good feel for what his receivers can and cannot do as Justin pointed out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin