News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Papa & Banks - Pros

Started by ozzie, August 19, 2023, 10:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Living out of the area, I watched last week's game against Detroit on NFL Network. That broadcast included Detroit's announcing team  :sick:
As someone on this board pointed out after that game, those guys couldn't be bothered to even learn the names of a majority of the Giants players. They would just use a jersey number for reference and even that seemed like an afterthought to them. They acted like there was only one team on the field and the opponent was of no coincidence. Plus the second guy in that booth so badly wanted to be John Madden with his "BOOM" every time there was a big hit.
I also watched last night's game on NFL Network and Papa & Banks were a breath of fresh air.
They knew the names of the players on both teams, had tidbits of information on everyone they spoke about and just generally did their homework and were fully prepared as if it was a regular season game. They acted like the professionals they are.
I can't speak for everyone, but I think sometimes we (I) get spoiled having true pros doing their jobs on a regular basis. Then when you hear something like that Detroit duo you wonder how in the world they can even hold down jobs in the industry?
Being a GOOD broadcaster in any sport sounds easy, but it takes a lot of work and you can always spot the ones who aren't.
Ok, that's the end of my little rant. Not really a major issue, I just wanted to come here and praise our guys.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

No doubt we are blessed in the New York area with a media that actually knows football and reports like professionals instead of a fan. Papa and Banks are a treasure the way Clyde is for the Knicks and the way Scooter was for that Yankees. I literally can't imagine a Knicks' game without Clyde's voice talking through the game, and I'm having that same feeling with Carl Bank's voice. Soothing, lovable, and professional. Now if Clyde would just teach Carl how to dress...LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I think Papa and Banks do an excellent job. Big fan of both. Preseason announcers for most teams are usually not very good. Very few teams have individuals who are this polished. Banks has a terrific understanding of the game on both sides of the ball, and Papa's knowledge level for a play by play guy is quite solid too.

kartanoman

Bob Papa is in his 31st year, I believe, in calling Giant games on radio. He started platooning with Jim Gordon during the 1993 and 1994 seasons before assuming the full time role in 1995. In that time, he has demonstrated his proficiency in television broadcast and has partnered with many former Giant greats. Carl Banks has developed into an astute analyst who complements Papa in the booth with player insight, a strong football knowledge base and a great respect for Bob in becoming an outstanding professional communications tandem.

Very few local broadcast teams can remotely compare to these two. They are yet another example of the class and professionalism of the Giants Footbal Organization.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Dgoodmantrublu

The thing that really sets them apart is their honesty. They will actually call out when a Giants player does something wrong. These other preseason broadcasts just don't do that.

Symphony Steve

Really impressed with Banks. Analytical, objective in that he points out failings by Giants players, and makes his points understandable. 

Slugsy-Narrows

I like how Banks calls out rules and penalties as BS!  Like the Dex roughing the passer call.

Yes it's the rules, but it's CRAP! He calls it as it is!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kartanoman on August 19, 2023, 11:49:27 AMBob Papa is in his 31st year, I believe, in calling Giant games on radio. He started platooning with Jim Gordon during the 1993 and 1994 seasons before assuming the full time role in 1995. In that time, he has demonstrated his proficiency in television broadcast and has partnered with many former Giant greats. Carl Banks has developed into an astute analyst who complements Papa in the booth with player insight, a strong football knowledge base and a great respect for Bob in becoming an outstanding professional communications tandem.

Very few local broadcast teams can remotely compare to these two. They are yet another example of the class and professionalism of the Giants Footbal Organization.

Peace!

And Papa is a heck of a nice guy.  About 10 years ago he was on the broadcast team for a PGA Seniors' Tour where my daughter was interning with the tournament staff.  She got to meet him and they had a nice chat after she told him she was a Giants' fan because her Dad was a big Giants fan.  The next day he found her and gave her a NY Giants lanyard.  Not a big deal but those are the kinds of things that reveal a person's personal quality.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

ozzie

I LOVE hearing stuff like that.  :ok:
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Greenzone

It is such an extraordinary pleasure to have the best broadcast team around today covering the Giants. Papa a product of the world's greatest radio station and unbelievable Giants partner WNEW, does such a great job. A true pro. And Carl Banks' insight is invaluable.

If an enemy captured a Giants fan and used torture techniques to get them to talk, never mind waterboarding. All they'd have to do is play them the audio of the Detroit announcers last week.

Although it's the biggest media market, I can't say the same great things about the buffoonish quality of the NY beat reporters, with mail-it-in apathy at press conferences and would-be GM's using column space telling the Giants organization what it SHOULD DO. Who ever assigned a journalist the role of becoming an active participant in the object of their reporting? But, the bar is so low in journalism today.

And quite frankly, I'd rather hear the top 20 posters of this board ask the questions at press conferences. Then, you'd see some meaningful answers come from players and coaches.

In that environment, it's a credit to the Maras (first Wellington and now John) and the organization to do so well in making the game that much more enjoyable for the fans. It's bizarre that Papa was never snatched by an NFL network partner, probably too much integrity.

Shoelessjoe

In years past I had to listen to the Pats broadcast team for the final preseason game when they were the home team. If you could believe it they were worse than the Detroit broadcast team.

Once you get out of NY you can see or hear why some of these guys never make it to the big time in NY.

A little of the track, I heard on the radio that The Carolina Panthers Hockey team was going to have one pair of announcers doing both radio and TV. Imagine how bad that is going to sound. If it is like a TV broadcast listening to the radio will be bad because you will need to fill-in the blanks while if it is the opposite, you will have over kill on TV.

Dgoodmantrublu

I remember a Jets-Dolphins game on NBC in the 80s with no announcers. That was preferable to some of these broadcasts.

TDToomer

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on August 19, 2023, 05:23:50 PMIn years past I had to listen to the Pats broadcast team for the final preseason game when they were the home team. If you could believe it they were worse than the Detroit broadcast team.

Once you get out of NY you can see or hear why some of these guys never make it to the big time in NY.

Like Papa and Banks these pre-season announcers are radio guys doing their gig on TV. With the Patriots that includes former Bledsoe backup Scott Zolak who is just an awful color commentator. He's part of the shock-jock sports radio shows in Boston so it would be like allowing Joe Beningo to call Jets games. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Dgoodmantrublu

Jets broadcasts are bad enough. I remember the Jets homer announcer continually claiming Victor Cruz was a former Jets player.

Puffy

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 20, 2023, 12:12:05 AMJets broadcasts are bad enough. I remember the Jets homer announcer continually claiming Victor Cruz was a former Jets player.

To their credit, Cruz was an owner of the Jets for his entire playing career