News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

A challenge on an Anaheim goal, which would have given them a 3-1 lead, was successful and returned the score to 2-1 Quackers. That saved the Rangers which helped enable the four goal comeback in period three.

It's a win. They'll take it, for now. San Jose awaits them. We'll see what happens.

Peace.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

They must have seen the post when it was 2-0 and decided to get their stuff together.

They needed this win to stop the bleeding and as was mentioned if that 3rd Anaheim goal stands they likely lose. I'm glad they got to feel good after a game for a change but this needs to be a pivot point rather than just a blip on the radar.

Messiah717

This team is ultimately going nowhere playing like this.  A terrible OT loss to San Jose.

kartanoman

The Sharks always seem to bite them, but they bit themselves in this ugly OT loss.

How bad will the Champs take it to them next is anyone's guess, but the consensus seems it's a foregone conclusion by now.

The break can't come soon enough for them.

Peace.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

I'm really beginning to lose faith in this team. I considered last night an absolute must-win. The Sharks are the worst team in the league both record-wise and point differential wise. There is no excuse for not winning that game.

Gmo11

The only positive I can see is that despite being a miserable excuse for a team for about 2 months they still are in 1st place with a 5 point lead somehow.  They really need the mental break of the All Star game to try and remember how to play hockey.  Blowing a 2 goal lead to THAT team with yet again 2 goals given up inside of 2 mins of action requires some soul searching.

And that Chytil's season may not be over afterall: 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39364856/sources-rangers-filip-chytil-returns-training-czechia

DaveBrown74

Yeah I just can't rationalize it anymore. I was willing to do that for a while, but it has gone off the rails at this point and has gotten so bad that it's starting to feel unsalvageable.

Maybe they can somehow start to turn it around after the break, and I'd obviously welcome that. But right now my expectations for this season have been significantly modified from where they were 5-6 weeks ago.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 24, 2024, 09:43:13 AMYeah I just can't rationalize it anymore. I was willing to do that for a while, but it has gone off the rails at this point and has gotten so bad that it's starting to feel unsalvageable.

Maybe they can somehow start to turn it around after the break, and I'd obviously welcome that. But right now my expectations for this season have been significantly modified from where they were 5-6 weeks ago.

They were probably never as good as that torrid start of the season they had and probably not as bad as they look right now but as currently constructed it's tough to see a long playoff run coming without some sort of a move or two at the deadline.

files58

If someone mentioned before the season that on 1/24/24 the Rangers would have a 5 point lead in the division we would all take it. They just don't bury their chances. Up 2-0 Brezinski had the third goal on his stick, and as the late, great Bill Chadwick would say "Jim, he shoots the puck like a cow picks up a gun". He scores there, game over. He's terrible by the way. Vesey missed an open net, and Laffy at least once a game misses what looks like a gimme. In addition there were two offensive pass interference non-calls just before the Sharks goal in OT. Will someone, anyone around the league please step into a puck carrier in Center Ice. Have they written a rule prohibiting that type of check? No one told me. All this stick checking makes it like a knock hockey game.

Messiah717

The offense right now is Panarin and Trocheck.  Mika and Lafreniere both have one goal in the month of January.  That's ridiculous. 

kartanoman

Quote from: files58 on January 24, 2024, 10:16:06 AMIf someone mentioned before the season that on 1/24/24 the Rangers would have a 5 point lead in the division we would all take it. They just don't bury their chances. Up 2-0 Brezinski had the third goal on his stick, and as the late, great Bill Chadwick would say "Jim, he shoots the puck like a cow picks up a gun". He scores there, game over. He's terrible by the way. Vesey missed an open net, and Laffy at least once a game misses what looks like a gimme. In addition there were two offensive pass interference non-calls just before the Sharks goal in OT. Will someone, anyone around the league please step into a puck carrier in Center Ice. Have they written a rule prohibiting that type of check? No one told me. All this stick checking makes it like a knock hockey game.

It's all in the perspective, right? Maybe resetting our expectations to DB74's point all along, that all this doesn't matter as long as they bring it for the playoffs. But they remain in first place, which is hard to believe during this slump.

Losing to the Sharks, and trailing the Quackers after two and a half periods really didn't surprise me as they, for some odd reason, struggle with these teams on their respective ices. I was hoping they would have represented themselves better against the Champs and the Kings, though.

Well, they can retrospectively look back at their slump and Laviolette can explore how to get them out of their slump, they'll get one more crack at the Champs, a couple of challenging matches with teams they've lost to, and then what was previously a marquee matchup with the Avs.

If I remember correctly,they were a bit inconsistent last season at this time. They seemed to pick it up a bit in March but ended the regular season with a few disappointing losses which cost them the #2 seed. But as the Devils series showed, they were unable to adapt once Jersey's defense locked them down at the blue line. The stick checking, brain farts resulting in giving up multiple goals in short spans.

When they winning like gangbusters, the fourth line was making significant contributions. Now, the puck isn't going in for them.

The Igor / Quickie debate continues and it's clear that Igor is off his Vezina Trophy season, and he's had some obvious lapses in concentration, or perhapstrying too hard, but how much of that is his defense hanging him and Quickie to dry?

They need to hit the reset button and the All Star break is coming at the opportune time to do just that. Let them make the most of the eight days and come back with clear heads and a new focus for the final two months to lock down the division or, worst case, second place.

Peace!

Giant Obsession

You can now scratch Philip Chytil from returning this season, if not longer.

This morning while on the ice with just two other players he fell and it reportedly took several minutes to remove him from the ice.

In my house we call that Buzzard luck, something the Rangers seem to possess in abundance.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

DaveBrown74

I feel terribly for Chytil. The impact on the team is secondary for me. His career seems like it could really be over. He's only 24 years old. Really brutal.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/26/sports/filip-chytil-down-on-ice-for-minutes-at-rangers-practice/?utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=referral

Messiah717

They continue to collapse.  From the best record in the league to not being able to get out of their own way.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 26, 2024, 05:44:24 PMI feel terribly for Chytil. The impact on the team is secondary for me. His career seems like it could really be over. He's only 24 years old. Really brutal.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/26/sports/filip-chytil-down-on-ice-for-minutes-at-rangers-practice/?utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=referral

This is bordering on a tragedy and my heart goes out to the kid. As much as I don't want to see it happen, it really appears the best thing, for his safety, is to stand down playing hockey because it doesn't appear safe for him to move forward after this serious incident. It's no longer about hockey now. The young man's health and well being has to be the most important concern.

I applaud his effort to try and come back but this incident may have been the straw which broke the camel's back.

Such a talented young man who brought excitement to us all. I know I speak for all of us in that we only wish him the very best and no more trauma that could upset what is a wonderful life that has still yet to be written.

Peace.