News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Vested Veteran

Started by nb587, August 28, 2023, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

Can someone explain how this would work?  If I understand it, veterans with over 4 years of service won't be on waivers but are free to negotiate with any team.  If that's accurate, it'll be of little benefit to the Giants at critical positions given the lack of Cap money.  There will be multiple teams interested in good OL or CB cuts and some will have to have the money to outbid the Giants.   Those to me are the positions of greatest need.

Dgoodmantrublu

Most of the guys might get a little over league minimum. There are true difference making players being made available.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: nb587 on August 28, 2023, 06:12:37 PMCan someone explain how this would work?  If I understand it, veterans with over 4 years of service won't be on waivers but are free to negotiate with any team.  If that's accurate, it'll be of little benefit to the Giants at critical positions given the lack of Cap money.  There will be multiple teams interested in good OL or CB cuts and some will have to have the money to outbid the Giants.  Those to me are the positions of greatest need.

You pretty much got it right on!

We did just pick up 1. Something million from Homles reworked contract and I think we had 5+ mill cap left.

So we got about 7 mill to play with.

As for the vested vets they can sign with anyone and since being cut you MAY get them at a decent price as they know roster spots are at a premium now.

Dgoodmantrublu

Giants can push money out down the line of they need to. It is only a matter if the player is worth doing so for.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on August 28, 2023, 06:18:41 PMYou pretty much got it right on!

We did just pick up 1. Something million from Homles reworked contract and I think we had 5+ mill cap left.

So we got about 7 mill to play with.

As for the vested vets they can sign with anyone and since being cut you MAY get them at a decent price as they know roster spots are at a premium now.

If we could find someone to take Taylor in a trade it would really help our CAP situation.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Dgoodmantrublu

I think Taylor is underrated here. I think he's much more valuable than people here say.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 28, 2023, 06:21:49 PMIf we could find someone to take Taylor in a trade it would really help our CAP situation.

LW is the real cap killer!

Take his cap hit and Taylor's next year and there is a good chunk of money right there!

Dgoodmantrublu

We are still in very good shape in future cap dollars. WE can find money if we need to. We have the money we need and can find more.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: nb587 on August 28, 2023, 06:12:37 PMCan someone explain how this would work?  If I understand it, veterans with over 4 years of service won't be on waivers but are free to negotiate with any team.  If that's accurate, it'll be of little benefit to the Giants at critical positions given the lack of Cap money.  There will be multiple teams interested in good OL or CB cuts and some will have to have the money to outbid the Giants.  Those to me are the positions of greatest need.

I think we are more than set at CB - 3 starters in Jackson, Banks, and Hawkins, plus depth with upside in Flott and Robinson and experience in Holmes.

I see a bigger need as being Edge. I don't think you'll need a ton of money to sign some of these guys. Someone like Malik Reed could likely be had for vet minimum and would relish playing for Wink.

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on August 28, 2023, 06:12:37 PMCan someone explain how this would work?  If I understand it, veterans with over 4 years of service won't be on waivers but are free to negotiate with any team.  If that's accurate, it'll be of little benefit to the Giants at critical positions given the lack of Cap money.  There will be multiple teams interested in good OL or CB cuts and some will have to have the money to outbid the Giants.   Those to me are the positions of greatest need.
we used it last year by cutting kreiter to get people over to IR with the full intention of resigning him.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 28, 2023, 06:27:17 PMWe are still in very good shape in future cap dollars. WE can find money if we need to. We have the money we need and can find more.

Could yes

Will doubtful

JS has been adamant about not kicking the can

uconnjack8

There is a little more to it with vested vets.  If they are on a roster week one they are guaranteed money.  This is why some will be signed after week 1.

"Like many rules in the CBA, the vested veteran rule was implemented with the intention of increasing protections and benefits to the players that manage to make a career out of the NFL. It establishes a player as "vested" after their fourth accrued season in the NFL, and along with yearly pay minimum bumps, grants additional benefits to these players like forgoing the waiver wire if they are cut in-season, and most importantly, guaranteeing their salary if they are on an active roster in week one of the regular season."

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2023/8/28/23849478/chargers-roster-cuts-breiden-fehoko-christian-covington-jerrod-clark-nick-williams

Dgoodmantrublu

He has said that, but still used void years on A'Shawn Robinson. He has used void years on others too. I think he's talking in general principle. If a player is worth it to him, he will so what his necessary.

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on August 28, 2023, 06:43:12 PMCould yes

Will doubtful

JS has been adamant about not kicking the can